RED

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

sunshiner

RED

Post by sunshiner »

Vintage guitars get their highly desirable time worn colours mostly through the clear coat yellowing and making a cherry red SG go brown, a super white guitar go yellow, pelham blue guitars go greenish etc. If you sand the clear coat down you might discover the original colour completely intact.

That makes me wondering how the vintage Cardinal Red(Gibson) and Fiesta Red(Fender) get to be so effing red 60 years later. They are the reddest things I've seen and vintage firebirds look like they were painted yesterday, minus patina
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
NickD

Re: RED

Post by NickD »

sunshiner wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:28 am Vintage guitars get their highly desirable time worn colours mostly through the clear coat yellowing and making a cherry red SG go brown, a super white guitar go yellow, pelham blue guitars go greenish etc. If you sand the clear coat down you might discover the original colour completely intact.

That makes me wondering how the vintage Cardinal Red(Gibson) and Fiesta Red(Fender) get to be so effing red 60 years later. They are the reddest things I've seen and vintage firebirds look like they were painted yesterday, minus patina
Fenders tend to fade/change as a result of the clearcoat, Gibsons because of the aniline dye used on the mahogany. It fades to brown within a few years.

I don't know for certain, but I'd say the red guitars that haven't faded didn't have a clearcoat.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

My Dakota red Musicmaster II still looks quite red. I think that the yellowing top coat warms up the red a bit. The Fiesta red does tend to go more orange as it yellows. I can’t speak for the Gibsons but if they have time to fade, it means you probably should have busted off the headstock by now anyways.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

:D lol true
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

NickD wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:45 am
sunshiner wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:28 am Vintage guitars get their highly desirable time worn colours mostly through the clear coat yellowing and making a cherry red SG go brown, a super white guitar go yellow, pelham blue guitars go greenish etc. If you sand the clear coat down you might discover the original colour completely intact.

Fenders tend to fade/change as a result of the clearcoat, Gibsons because of the aniline dye used on the mahogany. It fades to brown within a few years.

I don't know for certain, but I'd say the red guitars that haven't faded didn't have a clearcoat.
I didn't know that about aniline. My Wilshire from ten years old came in a cherry finish over which they sprayed yellowish trasnparent laquer wich made the guitar look orange when new. With the time the clearcoat went even more yellow and guitar turned brownish
NickD

Post by NickD »

sunshiner wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:35 pm
NickD wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:45 am

I didn't know that about aniline. My Wilshire from ten years old came in a cherry finish over which they sprayed yellowish trasnparent laquer wich made the guitar look orange when new. With the time the clearcoat went even more yellow and guitar turned brownish
My R9 is from 2013 and is in a fairly sunny room. The bits where the sun hits it are brown, the bits shaded by the light are still red.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

plopswagon wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:59 pm My Dakota red Musicmaster II still looks quite red. I think that the yellowing top coat warms up the red a bit. The Fiesta red does tend to go more orange as it yellows. I can’t speak for the Gibsons but if they have time to fade, it means you probably should have busted off the headstock by now anyways.
Like a ripe banana

Also, Dakota red musicmaster?? Do tell
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Although mid-60’s Fender shortscales referred to the offered as “red, white, and blue” the actual colors used were Dakota Red, Olympic White and Daphne Blue.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

plopswagon wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:29 am Although mid-60’s Fender shortscales referred to the offered as “red, white, and blue” the actual colors used were Dakota Red, Olympic White and Daphne Blue.
Still on my bucket list to build a guitar with all three colors -- red, white, and blue (buck owens style). Just haven't decided what specific shades or type (pearl, sparkle, plain).
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Do it but do it like French Flag.
► Show Spoiler
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Vive la révolution!!!