From 5 to 4, restored an '86 P Bass

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

MattK

From 5 to 4, restored an '86 P Bass

Post by MattK »

I often browse my local Cash Converters for guitars, which are usually crap, but a few months ago I did a double take when I saw a Fender P Bass there. It was cheap because it had been given a janky 5 string conversion and a hideous amateur scratch plate, but clearly a long time ago because there was a bit of fretwear and the bridge was a Schaller model no longer available. When I looked closer there was actually very little altered aside from the nut and bridge, obviously missing pickguard and some extra screw holes. Original pickguard screwholes were filled with nail polish which makes sense I guess! Also a large tuner hole punched through the headstock. Couldn't resist, so I took on the challenge. One pickguard and bridge later, plus the time to cut a new nut, I now have a 1986 F serial Fender Japan P Bass (with FENDER neckplate) for about 1/3 of what it's worth ...

As found:
Progress:
Finished:
I'm not really a P Bass fan (find the nut too wide) but Fujigen were incapable of making anything less than stellar in that era, it plays like a dream even after all the abuse. (and yes I cut the nut better than the progress photo above!)
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Re: From 5 to 4, restored an '86 P Bass

Post by Bacchus »

Saw this over on offset. Brilliant job.

The hole in the headstock does something weird to me, though. It makes me queasy, like when you see a picture of some strange medical condition. Like imagining what it must feel like to be this guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexis_St._Martin
MattK

Post by MattK »

It sure is weird, a very clean job tho. I have some maple scraps and I might see if I can cut a plug somehow.
I’m a bit horrified to say it but I am still preferring the SX Jazz to the Fender. Might just have to admit it’s better for me.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Bacchus wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:47 am Saw this over on offset. Brilliant job.

The hole in the headstock does something weird to me, though. It makes me queasy, like when you see a picture of some strange medical condition. Like imagining what it must feel like to be this guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexis_St._Martin
Don't look at this:
http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25432/lot/81/
Personal pronouns he/him
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

MatthewK wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:24 am It sure is weird, a very clean job tho. I have some maple scraps and I might see if I can cut a plug somehow.
I’m a bit horrified to say it but I am still preferring the SX Jazz to the Fender. Might just have to admit it’s better for me.
Modern cheap guitar are easily on par with the more expensive ones, especially the old expensive models.

I had a lathe at my old job and I used to give small wooden blanks to the operator and he would make me plugs of different diameters for tune-o-matic and tuners holes.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

It looks cool aside from the hole
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
NickD

Post by NickD »

MatthewK wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:24 am It sure is weird, a very clean job tho. I have some maple scraps and I might see if I can cut a plug somehow.
I filled some badly done tuner holes with a drumstick, which I pressed in with a drill press and then cut and sanded flush. Worked a treat.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

^ until you’re drummer found out what you did to his sticks.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
NickD

Post by NickD »

plopswagon wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:27 pm ^ until you’re drummer found out what you did to his sticks.
The revenge for which also involved a drumstick and a drill press.
MattK

Post by MattK »

that's a damn good idea tho!