Marshall JVM 410H 4 Channel Head Guitarist Review

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Mike wrote:
jcyphe wrote:Yeah cause EVH needed 4 channels and alot of switches and a huge Pedal board, Fuck outta here with that.
hahaha.. Van Halen suck balls. Worst argument ever.
He could get any tone out of his amp with One pickup and One knob, he got his clean, his solo, and his over the top screaming solo tone and he didn't need 4 modes to do it and had a way better tone than you'll ever have.

So yeah.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

eddie was the only guitar in the van halen, and i doubt he didn't use at least two pedals on stage to give him different levels of gain. offer him an amp that gives him those tones and more in one package, and he woulda "JUMPED" for it without a doubt.

as for this amp being mainly sold to bedroom warriors? that's just silly. it sports too much wattage to be anywhere near useful in nearly any scenario of that variety. further, the jvm's predecessor (the DSL and TSL) are WIDELY used by pro bands who can actually turn them up without pissing off mom and dad.

i'll say it again: multi-channel amps ftw.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

jcyphe wrote:had a way better tone than you'll ever have.
lol

You used the "T" word. Back the FDP with you.

Wtf is that anyway? Eddie Van Halen had a better tone than me?

Oh noes! Says who? I say I like the way my guitar sounds - who are you or anyone else to argue otherwise? Show me where the "tone" graph is and let's figure out where I am. How retarded.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

jcyphe wrote:
Doog wrote:
Mike wrote: Erm. No.

It entirely depends on the player - personally I need at least three sounds (Clean, Crunchy and a Heavier Crunch for leads) and would love having 4 (Clean, Edge of Breakup, Crunch and Heavier Crunch).

And I love Marshall EL34s.

Horses for Courses - I hate fuzz pedals - how'd you like that shit?
And it's made for people who gig, not bedroom heros.
Yeah cause EVH needed 4 channels and alot of switches and a huge Pedal board, Fuck outta here with that. People been playing for years without 4 modes on their amps. I guarantee the majority of people that own that amp are Bedroom Posers because sheer production numbers would dictate that, So eat it.
People also played for years without PAs miking the guitar amps, years without pedal floor tuners, years without in-ear monitoring, years without decent guitar leads. I guess because the Big Boppa made do without all that stuff, we should just make do without too, eh?

It's just convenient. 4 channels with loads of extra options could negate the need for a big pedalboard, for people who want a lot of sounds and volumes onstage.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Maybe I should sell all my stuff and play a washboard.

That's fucking OG skiffle.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Mike wrote:
jcyphe wrote:had a way better tone than you'll ever have.
lol

You used the "T" word. Back the FDP with you.

Wtf is that anyway? Eddie Van Halen had a better tone than me?

Oh noes! Says who? I say I like the way my guitar sounds - who are you or anyone else to argue otherwise? Show me where the "tone" graph is and let's figure out where I am. How retarded.
it's all opinions Mike, if you're going to throw out your own, don't be upset when I use mines. There seems to be a whole lot of people getting defensive just because I said I like simple amps. You should examine that, why are you insecure with your own opinion of gear.

You posted you hate fuzz pedals, you don't see me dissing you and telling you OH NOEZ YOU DONT UNDERSTAND the fuzz. Whatever, typical insecure SS-losery.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Doog wrote:It's just convenient. 4 channels with loads of extra options could negate the need for a big pedalboard, for people who want a lot of sounds and volumes onstage.
that's my gear scheme in a nutshell: simple and versatile.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

roffles

You think I'm upset, I'm not. You're talking rubbish - there is a difference.

All guitarists are different.

Where have I said you don't understand multichannel amps? And secondly I'd hardly call saying I hate fuzz as insecure losery.

If you can't discuss anything without flinging mud and then attempting to justify it with some gravitas don't bother.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

jcyphe wrote: You posted you hate fuzz pedals, you don't see me dissing you and telling you OH NOEZ YOU DONT UNDERSTAND the fuzz. Whatever, typical insecure SS-losery.
i've posted numerous times that i hate pedals in general, but i'm not trying to tell the world that their day is over, either. they can be quite useful, actually.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Doog wrote:
jcyphe wrote:
Doog wrote: And it's made for people who gig, not bedroom heros.
Yeah cause EVH needed 4 channels and alot of switches and a huge Pedal board, Fuck outta here with that. People been playing for years without 4 modes on their amps. I guarantee the majority of people that own that amp are Bedroom Posers because sheer production numbers would dictate that, So eat it.
People also played for years without PAs miking the guitar amps, years without pedal floor tuners, years without in-ear monitoring, years without decent guitar leads. I guess because the Big Boppa made do without all that stuff, we should just make do without too, eh?

It's just convenient. 4 channels with loads of extra options could negate the need for a big pedalboard, for people who want a lot of sounds and volumes onstage.
It's no coincednce to me that music keeps getting worse and less imganitaive.

Like in studios, with Pro Tools. People used to be so much more limited in the Studio and its my opinion that it made them better in a way. Just because they have more options doesn't make them better, in fact it might make them sloppier and less tight.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Yeah music is shit because of digital recording.

It really bothers me at live shows too. All that digital stuff.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Mike wrote:roffles

You think I'm upset, I'm not. You're talking rubbish - there is a difference.

All guitarists are different.

Where have I said you don't understand multichannel amps? And secondly I'd hardly call saying I hate fuzz as insecure losery.

If you can't discuss anything without flinging mud and then attempting to justify it with some gravitas don't bother.
No I meant you shouldn't be so into attacking people who have different opinions about Gear. i will always say what I don't like and like, but rarely will I admonish anybody for their opinion which is what is Insecure and loserish.

If you are not confident enough in the Guitar amp or pedal or amp you play that when somebody says that sucks and you can't comeback with a simple I Like It, than you are probably insecure about it.

Sorry.
Last edited by jcyphe on Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

jcyphe wrote:It's no coincednce to me that music keeps getting worse and less imganitaive.

Like in studios, with Pro Tools. People used to be so much more limited in the Studio and its my opinion that it made them better in a way. Just because they have more options doesn't make them better, in fact it might make them sloppier and less tight.
there's no way to say that's the definitive reason or anything more than one of myriad contributing factors to the decline of imagination. . . because you could also turn that argument on its ear and say that having MORE options should make one MORE creative since each open door leads to more ways to go.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

jcyphe wrote:
Doog wrote:

It's no coincednce to me that music keeps getting worse and less imganitaive.

Music from where? The top 40? Amazon's top selling albums? Yeah probably. That's what the underground is for.

And yeah, I'd agree with you on the Pro Tools front, I hate the idea of using computers to make up for the lack or something.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

jcyphe wrote:No I meant you shouldn't be so into attacking people who have different opinions about Gear.
I'm not attacking anyone. I'm responding to your assertion that "multi-channel amps are played out". In my opinion they're not - lots of guitarists seem to find them useful.

Lots of others like single channels just as much. You're never going to get an immediate BANG of crunch change with a volume knob though, and if that's what you're after in your music then a single channel amp won't do.

jcyphe wrote:If you are not confident enough in the Guitar amp or pedal or amp you play that when somebody says that sucks and you can't comeback with a simple I Like It, than you are probably insecure about it.

Sorry.
Que?

I don't even own this amp - nor have I played it. How could it make me insecure to be interested in the concept and in hearing how it works in reality?
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

jcyphe wrote:No I meant you shouldn't be so into attacking people who have different opinions about Gear. i will always say what I don't like and like, but rarely will I admonish anybody for their opinion which is what is Insecure and loserish.
that's not exactly what you were saying. for one, nobody on this board has actually heard or played through this amp (other than shitty internet recordings), so saying you like the specific amp is kind of impossible. saying you hate all multi-channel amps is fine, too, but my amusement with your statement had more to do with them being "played out." you made no argument in support of that claim other than "older guys didn't need them," when in reality they simply couldn't use something that never existed.

i'm not insulted, just intrigued.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

EVH TONE!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111!!!!!!!!
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

isn't the 5150 a multi-channel?
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

It has alot of knobs.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Imagine that