What is your favourite SG style model?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I’ve had quite a few. The 90s ones seem to be significantly better made. SG Tribute models (the older ones) are the best bang for your buck. SGX is amazing if you only need a bridge pickup.

I currently have 2 that I love. A Standard and my old Special. The special is my fave and I’m contemplating switching out the buckers for P90s (or at least one in the neck). I just can’t see past P90s at the moment. I’d love to pick up a Classic at some point.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

There's an interesting newer Epi SG Special.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

If Epiphone wasn't making the worst necks in the business, that'd be a nice little guitar. I kind of like its oddness - the neck, bridge and pickups are pushed towards the bottom of the guitar as it's a bolt on neck model and needs more body meat to accommodate such a joint. Also the body is thicker than on a proper SG. And it has this Norlin vibe to it. Unfortunately neck is 90% of any guitar, a rubbish neck constitutes a rubbish guitar in my book
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

i think the "special" aspect of this guitar is they figured it was cheaper to have all the control routing done in as close a proximity as possible.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

dots wrote:incesticide
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

A bit leftfield. More of a double cut LP than an SG, though.

http://westoneguitars.net/guitars/pres ... stige-250/
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

Bacchus wrote:... More of a double cut LP ...
Get outta here with that shit!

:) Glad you posted it, I was having conflicting feelings about posting:

I'm pretty sure this is more a double cut LP too, but the Starla, Vela and Mira all kinda give me SG vibes and I bet would do fantastic SG sondz.

So pretty, if not quitteeee SG-type..

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

But then, I'd have put the Yamaha SGs firmly in that camp, alongside Ibanez Artists. I love them, but they have a load of heft.

If an LP Junior grows up to be an LP, then an Gibson SG grows up to be one of these hefty SG types.
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

Also just found this absolute Lamborghini of a guitar. FUCKING ESP VYPERRRRR 7 STRING BARRITTTOOOOOONE

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/ESP/L ... ne&index=2

That looks hella fun to play, Deftones machine
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Ok, the thread went to shit, so I'm gonna drop this on you kind of remembering you're into jazz.

A new Gibson Inspired Epiphone ES339. The older ones(a narrow headstock) used to have a skinny ass Slim Taper neck. The newer ones(a newly reintroduced old school wide headstock) have a rounded C neck according to their website.

Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

sunshiner wrote:Ok, the thread went to shit, so I'm gonna drop this on you kind of remembering you're into jazz.

A new Gibson Inspired Epiphone ES339. The older ones(a narrow headstock) used to have a skinny ass Slim Taper neck. The newer ones(a newly reintroduced old school wide headstock) have a rounded C neck according to their website.

The Ibanez AS73 has a pretty thick neck, plus the body is bigger (but slightly smaller than a real ES-335) so it doesn't look like a lollipop.
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Yeah, I looked at AS73 when it came out. I think they are ones of a few of the sleeper guitars from the previous decade which are still affordable and haven't doubled or even tripled in price like many other used guitars have. I never really liked the headstock on them. EDIT: Yeah, what do you no they have doubled in price. Pandemic created some craze for guitars in general

The size wise I think Collings nailed it with their ES line. Their semi hollows are just the right size, not as huge and unwieldy like your regular ES335 and not as tiny as ES339

Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

sunshiner wrote:Yeah, I looked at AS73 when it came out. I think they are ones of a few of the sleeper guitars from the previous decade which are still affordable and haven't doubled or even tripled in price like many other used guitars have. I never really liked the headstock on them. EDIT: Yeah, what do you no they have doubled in price. Pandemic created some craze for guitars in general
They've been around quite a while, I think they came out in the early 2000s or late 90s. I played one back in the day, then got a used one 10 years later.

They're still being made, although not with the same finish options, about 379 Euros new.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Some more boring shit
► Show Spoiler
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

I'm still chugging along on my research out here. This seems to be very much in the ballpark, so imma find a dealer and see if this is any good - not gonna drop 1g on a reverb.com guitar:

http://reverendguitars.com/guitars/bob ... gnature-2/

I found that Vintage has some straight on copies, not sure if Vintage are out here in California, or if they are shite:

http://vintageguitarsus.com/collection ... cherry-red

Hagstrom's Pat Smear model:

http://www.hagstromguitars.com/electri ... smear.html

Maybach, not the fancy car company, but a German guitar brand has a few. Probably not useful to Rhys, maybe useful to you, dear reader:

http://maybach-guitars.de/en/guitars/albatroz-series

Dean has a chunky boi guitar called the Gransport, the name makes my toes curl but whatever:

http://www.deanguitars.com/product?id=usagransport
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

Legit need to find somewhere that stocks a range of reverend guitars, there are so many models that I'd buy and play. The more curvy boys look great, but the range of Sensei's that the Bob Balch is based on are great, apparently have very good build quality.

From my research there is a big hole in the market, that hole is: Bespoke, wanky SGs. We have custom bespoke mastery bridge bumhole-sniffery for Strats, Teles, Offsets, Tele offsets, LPs, weird guitars, even Rickenbacker style stuff gets a mention but I don't see anyone out there making a custom vintage correct++ mastery SG with handwound PAFs that have the exact same pot readouts as the SG that Angus Young farted on back in '72 when AD/DC played Knebworth. Or whatever.

Find me a wanky SG guitar maker y'all
dub

Post by dub »

Hmm, there’s those JayDee Iommi SGs. The only one that immediately jumps to mind.
sunshiner

Re: What is your favourite SG style model?

Post by sunshiner »

The Vintage one has the shape of the upper horn modded and it looks more like a strat. Same with the Harley Benton SGs. The reason I think is that Gibson is now going after manufacturers for ripping the original designs. Old Vintage copies of SG from 10 years ago were direct copies shape wise but not anymore.
Progrockabuse

Re:

Post by Progrockabuse »

benecol wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:58 pm I love SGs, and will have another. I want a white one. Guild Polaras are OK, but I don't like the neck profile, and they fall apart in about three different ways. The best SGs are SG Classics (I've had four) - the combination of SGs and P90s is just bonkers.
That sweet off white SG jr I met you in a lay-by to collect. That was a heavenly sounding guitar, wish I’d brought it back off Dave when he sold it.

Miss our late night meet-ups, still have the love bites ;)
Fender Classic Player 60’s Stratocaster>East Coast T1 Tele>
Epiphone Les Paul SL>Ovation 12 String acoustic>Peavey Strat DIY Relic

Marshall Origin 20H>James’s old purple 2x10
Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Re: What is your favourite SG style model?

Post by benecol »

Hahaha - I started eyeing white SGs again the other day x