I bought a bass - NOW WITH VIDEO

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

paul_ wrote:Nice, you have the same bass as me now. I bought a "vintage white" one from Rondo about 10 years back and changed the white pickguard to tort because it was more yellow than I expected (the product image made the bass and pickguard look the same colour) and the chromedomes to Jazz knobs because it's a JB.

The pickguard is not a standard shape around the control plate which is why mine is poorly re-shaped down there... as far as I can remember everything else lined up fine except the mounting holes, which I didn't care about... but there's so many different types of Jazz guards who knows, maybe some common import style fits this thing straight-up. I remember Rondo sold extra parts for these on the same webstore, but they were the cheapest thing in there because they just seemed like generic Chinese JB parts like you'd get from GFS or something.
I bought a nicer Fender guard because I didn't want naff Squiery tort, and I doubt any of the screwholes lined up (I certainly seem to have made two extra tugbar holes eyeballing where it went the second time). I knew it wouldn't fit because it was a US guard, though.

Favourite bass for sure, I'd rate mine up with a Squier CV. The frets on mine are great but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some iffy QC standards on these as they only cost $110 shipped brand new... really tightly grained dark fingerboard and flamey neck maple too, might've just lucked out in the draw. I've had the same set of flatwounds on it for 11 years, never changed any parts except the pickguard and knobs.
Excellent! Worth trying a new guard then.

Can you remember what gauge you went for? the E is a bit floppy with these rounds.
In my search for the this bass I have come across this Khruangbin. Not my thing but the bass tone is great, although I believe she has changed the pickups.
Last edited by Hurb on Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

NickD wrote:Sure is purty

Is there a reason there are no pics with the headstock in though? Is it a rude shape?
haha not really just hard to get all the guitar in nice picture.

The headstock is ok I think, although it comes with the comedy ''totally hand maded'' decal!

paul_

Post by paul_ »

Hurb wrote:Can you remember what gauge you went for? the E is a bit floppy with these rounds.
In my search for the this bass I have come across this Khruangbin. Not my thing but the bass tone is great, although I believe she has changed the pickups.
Fender 9050L 45-100, but I’d go for a set with a .105 [at least] on the bottom if you’re worried about it being floppy, that’s more standard.

Looks like your headstock is the style from a couple phases of SX later, so I guess this model was around longer than I thought. Mine has all the same decals except it says “vintage� instead of “VTG�
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Cheers Paul very helpful will definitely look for 105 E

Apparently this was bought new in early 2020? So unless it sat unbought for a while I thought it was it was a 2020 model
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

done a video

[youtube][/youtube]
MattK

Re: I bought a bass - NOW WITH VIDEO

Post by MattK »

HOLY SHIT WHAT I BOUGHT ONE OF THESE TODAY, IN THAT GREEN
but I gotta wait for shipping
HOLY SHIT
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Hurb moves in mysterious ways
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Doog wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:22 pm Hurb moves in mysterious ways
Again with the U2 references!
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

MatthewK wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:12 pm HOLY SHIT WHAT I BOUGHT ONE OF THESE TODAY, IN THAT GREEN
but I gotta wait for shipping
HOLY SHIT
Sweet! hope you like it!
MattK

Post by MattK »

I guess this is where I reveal that I'm a Khruangbin appreciator which is what lit the fuse for me. Also love the super skinny necks on J basses. Oddly enough these cheaper ones probably work around the weakness that the original Fenders had - if you overtighten the truss rod (to the end of the thread) then it puts a torque on the rod, which acts on the anchor point. Not a problem for any of the trad Fender necks except the J bass (and possibly the VI) because they have bass tension levels, and a narrow neck at the headstock end. There just isn't much wood around the truss channel, and if the glue holding the fretboard creeps, the neck can twist up there at the anchor. Having the truss rod adjust at the headstock end reduces the chances of that.
I once fixed an AVRI J Bass which had this problem - slackened off the rod, clamped the headstock and neck heel to the same level, and gently shone a heat lamp on the fretboard at the upper end. Untwisted the neck, let it cool over several days to set in the right spot, then put a couple of washers underneath the truss nut to prevent it going past the end of the thread. Came out perfect, I kept it for a year to see if it was stable, then sold it on.
Looking forward to giving this guy a thorough setup and trying for that thump.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Looking forward to hearing what you think. As a none bass player I don't have a lot to go on as to if its as good as I think it is.
MattK

Post by MattK »

Well, it arrived, and right off the bat it's pretty different to yours colour-wise. Neck has that super orange "vintage" colour they used on some of the older AVRI series, which frankly I hate, but I can live with it I guess. The green is strange, I don't know if it's meant to be a dark Seafoam, yellowed Daphne or just an emerald green. The pickguard is a very odd colour I'd call "dark parchment" or maybe cafe latte - it might have started out white and oxidised, I think this is about 12 years old.
Play-wise, it's pretty darn good. I used to have an AVRI J Bass but couldn't afford to keep it, definitely a level up in quality, but as an instrument the SX is is accurately made and nice to play. Love the pickup covers too.
Like you I replaced the knobs, the chrome barrels were wrong wrong wrong.
The pickguard colour is hard to photograph - excuse the blur in this snap I took with a white reference.
I'm really happy overall. Next step: flatwounds.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

That is crazy how cream the pickguard is. Wonder if its sun damage or just came out the factory like that?

Glad you are happy! I still need to get some flatwounds on mine.