Free Jazzmaster body project - now with the videos! ITS FINISHED

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Free Jazzmaster body project - now with the videos! ITS FINISHED

Post by Hurb »

So a little while ago someone was giving away a walnut Jazzmaster body on facebook. I won it.

It has some issues. It has couple of chunks missing and general finishing off of body contours and rounded edges.
Photo bomb

I don't normally go for transparent finishes but I think the wood grain is super nice (where its not fucked) So plan something like this...although my mind has a habit of changing every week!

So kinda a two tone tobacco burst? complete with black guard. So I need to know how to work with walnut and figure out how to repair the chunks missing. If it was a solid finish I would just go for bodge filler (bondo) and I might be able to get away with it anyway as thats where the dark burst is. Or I could try and find some matching walnut and glue it on?
What is everyone's thoughts on repair?

As far as the project goes I am tempted to try and go as cheap as possible to match the body goodness, but realise thats probably not going to work out. I am also tempted by sticking wideranger pickups in but as I have no experience with these pickups I am totally basing that need/want on the hype! I used to really like my antiquity II's I had in a previous Jazzmaster so that is also an option and saves cutting the body up any.

Anyway that is where I am at. I cant really start the project until my Jaguar project is finished.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I like the redder option
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

plopswagon wrote:I like the redder option
lorez

Post by lorez »

Show the grain and black pick guard is total win. I like the darker edge tobacco look
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

That grain is superb, any of the options would look killer, but yeah the red is v cool.
cooter

Re: Free Jazzmaster body project

Post by cooter »

Hurb wrote:

So kinda a two tone tobacco burst? complete with black guard. So I need to know how to work with walnut and figure out how to repair the chunks missing.
Hurb, Do you have access to a router/router table and planer?
Smells like Rock n' Roll
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Walnut stained Jazzmaster with black guard is very much my planned next project.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

benecol wrote:
plopswagon wrote:I like the redder option
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

cooter wrote:
Hurb wrote:

So kinda a two tone tobacco burst? complete with black guard. So I need to know how to work with walnut and figure out how to repair the chunks missing.
I have a hand held router
cooter

Post by cooter »

Hurb wrote:
cooter wrote:
Hurb wrote:

I have a hand held router
I would get a top bearing flush router bit and a decent size piece of 1/4" mdf board with a straight edge. I would take some carpet tape and tape the mdf to the back of the body placing the straight edge as close to the chipped area as possible. Try to line up with the grain on the body. Then route off flush only taking small amounts of wood off at a time. Apparently walnut tears out easily. Once you have a good flat surface to glue to I would find a donor block of walnut as close to body thickness as you can find. Use some good wood glue and clamp it up over night. Then print out a jazzmaster tracing and transfer the shape to the donor area. Use a bandsaw if possible to cut close to the shape. You could blend in the edge with a hand sander if you don't have a belt sander. The areas appear small so if you don't have a roundover bit you probably can get the roundovers close with a hand sander as well. If you're doing a burst finish you don't have to worry too much about the donor block matching since it is near the edge of the body.

I hope I'm making sense. Something like what I did to reshape this headstock.

Smells like Rock n' Roll
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Nah, just paper mache it.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

cooter wrote:
No that totally makes sense. It's a tiny amount that needs gluing on. So I just need to find some walnut from somewhere cheap.

Thank you for breakdown
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

plopswagon wrote:Nah, just paper mache it.
"Ok, kids. Today I'll teach you how to make a nice Swinger. All you will need is a lot of paper and scissors.... By the way Swinger is the name of a guitar, not... it's a guitar, ok? It's how we will name it after it's done... Well, actually you can give your guitar any name you want... I'm naming mine Swinger"
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
NickD

Post by NickD »

sunshiner wrote:
plopswagon wrote:Nah, just paper mache it.
"Ok, kids. Today I'll teach you how to make a nice Swinger. All you will need is a lot of paper and scissors.... By the way Swinger is the name of a guitar, not... it's a guitar, ok? It's how we will name it after it's done... Well, actually you can give your guitar any name you want... I'm naming mine Swinger"
Needs to be updated for the 21st Century.

The Fender Dogging
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

We can fill it with candy capos and bash it with a stick!
► Show Spoiler
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

A shower of capos rained early this morning over Bufalo. Nobody was hurt except a local resident whose heart was completely and utterly broked
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
lorez

Post by lorez »

sunshiner wrote:A shower of capos rained early this morning over Bufalo. Nobody was hurt except a local resident whose heart was completely and utterly broked
:D
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

:lol:
JohnnyTheBoy

Post by JohnnyTheBoy »

Will be a cool jazzer Hurb!
How about an Elvis Costello look-e-like? I've always fancied one myself
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

JohnnyTheBoy wrote:Will be a cool jazzer Hurb!
How about an Elvis Costello look-e-like? I've always fancied one myself
Definitely considered it. Not totally off the cards either but would depend how matched the wood I got was I suppose.