'Blackface'

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Depraved but I still occasionally listen to a couple of albums.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Also: the gay community massively reclaimed that symbol in the 70s. Think the B:Assmaster was aiming to camp-up a load of macho pedalboards, but also recognise that that context can look a little skewed now.

To stick within the original context of the thread, would also point out that many more people are likely to misconstrue the words "blackface" than would this symbol. But also recognise that it's not a competition. Also Paul Barker ≠ Al Jourgenson.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

benecol wrote:many more people are likely to misconstrue the words "blackface" than would this symbol. But also recognise that it's not a competition.
true that, i wouldn't have known before this thread.

and how heavily do we weigh original intentions when revising decisions made in history? a lot of it is in the context and subtext for sure.
NickD

Post by NickD »

benecol wrote:Also: the gay community massively reclaimed that symbol in the 70s. Think the B:Assmaster was aiming to camp-up a load of macho pedalboards, but also recognise that that context can look a little skewed now.

To stick within the original context of the thread, would also point out that many more people are likely to misconstrue the words "blackface" than would this symbol. But also recognise that it's not a competition. Also Paul Barker ≠ Al Jolson.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

benecol wrote:Also: the gay community massively reclaimed that symbol in the 70s. Think the B:Assmaster was aiming to camp-up a load of macho pedalboards, but also recognise that that context can look a little skewed now.
Yeah, this is key, plus the OG also a triangle graphic, so it's a little less of a stretch of just being "problematic" for the sake of it, or whatever.

Anyways, I feel like this is all moot without knowing how the gay musician community at large feels about it... and I think they've got more pressing issues to worry about.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
paul_

Post by paul_ »

The only thing I know about Ministry is that one of their guitarists was once walking around a Walmart with a briefcase, happening to match the description of an armed robbery suspect who had allegedly fled to the area, so police asked him if they could inspect the briefcase for weapons or stolen items. He consented to the search and the case was full of heroin.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Ame ... gI_i_D_BwE

It seems Fender has also deemed the term "Fat Tele" offensive, which I guess I sort of agree with when I really think about it.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

interesting, but yeah, fat shaming is out now. about the only safe port anymore is ageism. what would the boomers and millennials have to fight about without it?
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

dots wrote:interesting, but yeah, fat shaming is out now. about the only safe port anymore is ageism. what would the boomers and millennials have to fight about without it?
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

#triggered
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Oh shit, are they coming for our skinny tops, fat bottoms?
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
NickS

Post by NickS »

And the quilters' fat quarters?
Personal pronouns he/him
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Adjectives trigger me.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Brandon W wrote:you elites.
NickD

Post by NickD »

NickS wrote:And the quilters' fat quarters?
Yes, that triggers the weed dealers.

I wonder whether we'll see the Bilt Zaftig change name?