Danelectro Dead on 67 bridge options?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Thomas

Danelectro Dead on 67 bridge options?

Post by Thomas »

I know it’s been a while done there’s been one of these on here but I was wondering if anyone remembers what bridge people were upgrading to on the Danelectro Dead on 67?

I’m not having much luck online. The few I’ve found are no longer stopped. The guitar is on its way and it’s the baritone version so I’m expecting it to have the bowed bridge issue. So I’m just trying to get my ducks in a row before it arrives. I’m happy to hardtail it.

sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

mkt3000 had a guitar version. As far as I remember he bought the same factory bridge from Allparts and replaced the damaged one

The guitarist of the Best Coast played a baritone
[youtube][/youtube]
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Yeah Allparts is usually my first stop. They still have them listed but they don’t have any in stock. It looks like they might not be doing them any more. I guess with them using a different bridge on the current stuff it might take a bit of time to find somewhere that stocks them (or find another compatible model)

There is a permanent fix mod you can do with a tunomatic stud and screw that I might have a bash at.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

So there's this:

http://reverb.com/au/item/3879928-dane ... ss-saddles

Which is marketed as a direct replacement, but actually involves drilling three extra screw holes into the body in order for the bridge to sit flat. Which isn't ideal. And it's hilariously expensive. Why? Because the brass saddles are an extra £40 worth of M0J0toanz.

I'm not sure what to suggest. There are quite a few examples of Danelectros that have had the bridges replaced with Fender-style hardtails that sit flat to the body (and therefore inevitably require some level of modification) or tunomatics and tailpieces/bigsby-style trems installed in their place, with the two height adjustment screws of the original bridge used as marker for the holes being widened to accomodate such a modification.

Does the dead-on 67 Baritone have a trem arm? Coz that complicates things a little bit as well since the rear middle screw becomes the spring that the trem uses, so you'd need to lock that down if you were converting it to a hardtail (it's accessed fully through that circular push-fit plate on the back of the guitar). But that also might be an issue if you decide to go with a Fender-style replacement since the circular spring cavity might sit in the exact place that any rear bridge screws need to go.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Cheers for the info :) AI did see the DRB2 on reverb but balked at the price.

Yes it the trem version so I might be better just doing the mod that adds support under the bridge, at first at least. It’s the next least destructive method after getting a proper replacement.

I’m totally up for just replacing the whole shebang with something a bit more modern if needed, tho I would prefer something that maintains the overall tone of the beast.
cur

Post by cur »

Be patient. Nobody has them I stock. It’s weird. but only the 12 string version is available. I’m guessing once Covid settles down they will start making them again. My local guitar repair shop has been looking for one for a client with no luck.

ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

I had a brainwave and remembered that Squier, back in the old days before they made "proper" Jaguars and Jazzmasters, made a series of "Special" offsets that inexplicably used the Danelectro-style bridges. I don't think they stuck around for very long, but it was pretty weird because I've never seen another guitar using the Dano bridge setup before. Even weirder is that Squier appear to have either made the bridges themselves and/or deliberately sourced another factory to make them to the Dano style spec (why they didn't just go with a Toronado bridge, I have no idea), since they were functionally similar but cosmetically slightly different.

Anyway, I wondered if anywhere sold them separately, but no joy at all as yet.

Brandon W wrote:you elites.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Didn't someone new post on here looking for one of those Squier bridges a while back? Not sure if they managed to track one down. I seem to remember finding the part number for them.

I'll see if I can find the post.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Thomas wrote:Cheers for the info :) AI did see the DRB2 on reverb but balked at the price.

Yes it the trem version so I might be better just doing the mod that adds support under the bridge, at first at least. It’s the next least destructive method after getting a proper replacement.

I’m totally up for just replacing the whole shebang with something a bit more modern if needed, tho I would prefer something that maintains the overall tone of the beast.
Is it just the trem you don't want? Always wanted to swap to a trem version on my dc59. Are they terrible?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Dave's World Of Fun Stuff video doing one up, vibrato action from 2:20 or so:

[youtube][/youtube]
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hurb the trem doesnt really do anything on these. This one is totally borked. It was packages way worse than anything I’ve ever seen (in a thin gig bag with some bubble wrap and it looked like the bridge took another knock cos it looks worse than in the photo. The trem on this is currently ornamental. To maintain the look and the sound this has an option would be to screw down the bridge then carve a new rosewood bridge that’s flat bottomed to the correct height?radius. Or just replace it with something decent. Making a rosewood bridge could be fun and will use up some COVID downtime so I might give that a bash while waiting for bridge stock to come in. The seller is cool with paying fir the replacement/repair.

The Danelectro is different as the bridge screws on at the back and the 2 furwars screws sit under the bridge and the bridge rocks on top of it, the only part that’s connected to the guitar is the one screw at the back. I have no clue how it isn’t just exploding with that one tone screw holding the bridge on.

I have seen one modded with a TOM and stoptail on the Guitar Manifesto page. More of an extreme mod but worth considering as this is pretty beat up anyway.

Thanks Bearboy :)

I did think about the Squier one, tho I’d like to get the same one (as close as poss) to keep the trem working. These attack in a loopy way. Plus you can’t just deck the bridge like the mid on the regular scale, the strings are so thick on the bass side there needs to be some angle to work right.

Doog wrote:Dave's World Of Fun Stuff video doing one up, vibrato action from 2:20 or so:

[youtube][/youtube]
Ta for that! I watched this the other night, dudes always swearing at guitars. This is borked to the extent that the trem needs to be tightened to counterbalance the droop in the bridge plate. It’s a bit of a balancing act.