NGD: Squier VM Jazzmaster

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Doog
mid-century modem

NGD: Squier VM Jazzmaster

Post by Doog »

While it's nowt too exciting, after rediscovering how much I love offsets after I got the CV Jag, I tracked down a sunburst VM Jazzmaster (advertised as a CV, but the trained eye can telllllll) in Madrid. Didn't wanna F with narrow-tall frets again, so figured this'd be the fun-ffordable option, GF has a Vintage Modified Jazzmaster too (GFVMJM), and I get on with the neck fine.

Stock "big scab" torty guard and spare Mustang bridge I had; Staytrem collet and arm still at my place

I bought it in mind to recreate that late '50s OG vibe as above, so got a US-compatible guard delivered from the Netherlands as the colour looked the best, vs. the cheaper Chinese ones on eBay:

Looks good, but needs filing-down around the neck pocket to fit. As I'm at my gf's place (GFVMP), I had to order some files (to also sort out the nut) which took a lil' while to turn up.

In the meantime, I found a super cheap still-in-plastic Fender Player guard with the lovely tort on Reverb and it dropped straight onto it, love how it looks; it calms down the kinda ugly grain on the body:

Will probs sort out the gold guard soon to try it out, but I do really love how it looks with that niiiiice tort.
Last edited by Doog on Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Nice! Congrats! I do love a gold guard, they just work incredibly well on Jazzmasters. How does it sound?
NickD

Post by NickD »

That will look amazing with the gold guard.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Nice one. Radius mismatch doesn’t bother you then?
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Noirie. wrote:Radius mismatch doesn’t bother you then?
I honestly don't know where this bridge came from (so what radius actually is), but it felt fine.

Until, during the changing of the guard, the fucker came apart:

So I swapped the saddles, springs and screws over.. which still wouldn't change the radius, thinking about it. Still feels fine, but might pick-up a 9.5er for good measure at some point.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Thom wrote:How does it sound?
It's nice! I'm still not a massive fan of the overwound bridge pickups Squier have put in these modern versions, as they make the pickups feel pretty unbalanced imho. I read that the original Fenders pickups all came from the same bin, regardless of the position they went into the guitar! IDGAF about vintage-correct, but I like my top end.

Soooo, I might try and source a used VM neck pickup to put in the bridge position; likely cheaper and a better match than just buying some cheaper aftermarket pickup. Ideally, I'd have a bridge pickup somewhere between the stock one (11k-ish) and the neck (6.5k-ish)

I was planning on doing with the CV Jag too (found a cheap set of CV pickups thanks to Hurb), but I do really like those pickups as they're quite bright already.

We'll see!
Last edited by Doog on Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

TARNSVMJMIACTSIWTGAAGMBTTGF
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

TARNSVMJMIACTSIWTGAAGMBTTGF
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I think Paul's passed-out on his keyboard
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Might be the bridge you got from me. So it’s 7.25�.

You can cut up bits of coke cans and shim the saddles with those bits.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Gold guard!
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

damn that looks really good with that new tort guard. good score, I love mine and would never part with it. sleeper pick, imo.

I did an Kevin shields with mine and jacked the trem arm up as high as it could go for the worbles. super fun, the pickups sound cool with fuzz, bridge pickup is a little twangy for me with a clean tone though, didnt know the bridge was that hot.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Doog wrote:Soooo, I might try and source a used VM neck pickup to put in the bridge position
Don't forget you won't get hum cancelling in the middle position, although that may not matter to you.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Yeah, man I'm so surprised how much difference a good dark tort made, especially against that wacky grain.

Sooooo, I filed the gold guard down last night, forgetting the bastard bridge cup holes though so couldn't FULLY install it; couldn't be arsed to go through the whole process AGAIN. Dunno if I'm really sold on it against this sunburst, esp. against the aforementioned luxury tortoise and with this terrible flash photo :

Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I'm usually a big fan of a gold pickguard on a Jazzmaster, but I have to say on this occasion I think maybe the dark tort works better. The white border just looks right to me. Plus, I agree that it seems to kind of calm down the ropey wood grain behind the sunburst.

The only solution is to buy another Jazzmaster to go with the gold guard.
NickD

Post by NickD »

It does look better on some of the solid colours. I used to own this ‘59 and it looked great with a gold guard.

Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Needs aged pickup covers, witch hats and a *amber* to complete the look
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Freddy V-C wrote:I'm usually a big fan of a gold pickguard on a Jazzmaster, but I have to say on this occasion I think maybe the dark tort works better. The white border just looks right to me. Plus, I agree that it seems to kind of calm down the ropey wood grain behind the sunburst.
100% what I was telling myself! It all comes together nicely with that defining line to 'cut it out' against the "budget shed" grain.
Freddy V-C wrote:The only solution is to buy another Jazzmaster to go with the gold guard
Mate, don't even joke; I was already like "hmmm maybe I could get another body and change necks and guts as my fanciful whim takes me..
NickD wrote:It does look better on some of the solid colours. I used to own this ‘59 and it looked great with a gold guard.
Yeah, it's lovely for sure. I feel like a non-grainy 'burst really looks the best for gold, ah well:

Maybe at some point I'll track down a less grainy body to fully realise my bullshit.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Or just get a white one and relive my podgy late adolescence but fully commit to the J Mascis thing this time

[youtube][/youtube]
NickD

Post by NickD »

Doog wrote:Or just get a white one and relive my podgy late adolescence but fully commit to the J Mascis thing this time

[youtube][/youtube]
Nice behind the nut action.