Help me design a Fisher Price guitar

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

Help me design a Fisher Price guitar

Post by Nick »

After searching purple switch tip thanks to Rob's post about that pink and purple Jazzmaster http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69162

I was reminded that Dimarzio makes a ton of strat parts in some pretty bonkers colors. It suddenly made me want to make a Strat with that Fisher Price aesthetic.

Think:

And maybe a bit of:

Unfortunately this is the best I could come up with so far.

I've tried a bunch of other combinations but not sure they hit the mark. Is there a better non-flash builder now that Kisekae is slow AF and doesn't have many options? I'm trying to go for a look that says this is a toy guitar from any distance, I'm finding it really hard to find the right balance of white, red and blue with a bit of yellow that doesn't look overly patriotic.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

In terms of the mockups you posted, I like the second one better than the first
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

kingkiller wrote:In terms of the mockups you posted, I like the second one better than the first
I think I do too, but I feel like it probably should have some white. There's gotta be a perfect combination I just haven't found yet. Also, I think it would look more toy like with a maple neck, but the spare strat copy neck I have is rosewood and I don't want to invest too much in this.

Maybe better? I already have a white pickguard so that would help too
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I would go with black, black guard, black pup covers and knobs.

This was my childhood.

But you could do a white body, red or blue guard and mixed color covers and knobs.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
NickD

Post by NickD »

That was (genuinely) my first telephone. Not sure who I spoke to on it.
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

I've been wanting to do the same thing with my first guitar, an affinity strat! I'll never get rid of it but I stopped playing it ages ago and a friend asked for the white pickguard and the pickup covers so for years it's just been a bright red body and neck. I've been wanting to just go nuts with rainbow colored plastic parts but I can't find a pickguard template for an early 90s affinity anywhere so I always give up before I get anywhere with it
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

With both of those Fisher Price toys you posted, the main bulk of the toy is white, and all the additional parts/pieces are colourful. So I think if you want to cop that same aesthetic, you should probably go for a white body (maybe even with a matching headstock, if you can). Red and blue seem to feature more heavily than yellow and green in the toy designs as well, so maybe go for a red pickguard and blue pickup covers (or possibly vice versa) and maybe alternating yellow/green for the knobs and the switch tip. It would be amazing if you could have alternating yellow/green Kluson-style button tuners as well, but I’m guessing those don’t exist.

I would make a mock-up myself, but it’s 2am here haha.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I think I'm going to start by just ordering a bunch of different color knobs and pickup covers from Aliexpress, $15 buys me a full set of red, yellow, blue and green.

I also have a cheap strat copy in a primary red translucent finish with white pickguard, I was planning to just use the neck from this guitar but considering I already have the body I might just test fit a bunch of colors to see how it looks in real life before spending any actual money on a replacement body and pickguard.

This was more the inspiration for the yellow/blue mock up

paul_

Post by paul_ »

Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I actually had that phone when I was little. Not sure how I came upon it, because it wasn't for sale in Eastern Europe. I remember the eyes moving when the wheels were in motion.

Anyway, all those sites need Flash, even the shortscale builder.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Freddy V-C wrote:With both of those Fisher Price toys you posted, the main bulk of the toy is white, and all the additional parts/pieces are colourful. So I think if you want to cop that same aesthetic, you should probably go for a white body (maybe even with a matching headstock, if you can).
Defo this, and also a water slide decal of the telephone's face for the headstock, that'd be AMAZING

Getting echoes of Adrian Belew's Mustang, which I LOVE

sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
NickD

Post by NickD »

Doog wrote:Image

[/img]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The file name is gold as well.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

That was pure NickO
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I love this idea. Would it be possible to get a whited out fretboard too? Or some other colour like what Dean used to do?
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Doog wrote:Getting echoes of Adrian Belew's Mustang, which I LOVE

Yesssss.

Love Paul's whited-out fretboard idea, too.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Here's a mockup I made:

Alternating red/blue/yellow/green dots would be amazing, but I suspect that's outside the realms of possibility.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

The body being mostly white does suit the style better. I honestly think a rosewood fretboard would be fine, but I’m a sucker for rosewood and rosewood-alikes.
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

And multicoloured strings.

plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Bacchus wrote:And multicoloured strings.

De-roobered
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

You should cut a separate piece of pickguard for the control area.

Like this, but yellow or blue plastic.

Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"