Original fender Bridge is the best bridge - CHANGE MY MIND

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderator: mods

User avatar
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1
Posts: 49936
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:00 pm

Post: # 1401527Post robroe »

1.2mm picks? You re like one of those island savages that if your boat gets to close to the island and you make eye contact you are already dead.

Shad thinks my 1.0mm picks are bulldozers.
dots wrote:incesticide
User avatar
benecol
Best Poster 2010
Posts: 7923
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:12 pm
Location: Westcountry

Post: # 1401528Post benecol »

NickS wrote:
benecol wrote: * When I'm not using my favoured NOS Matchpiks that NickS gave me.
Umm.. I've used the little Jazz IIIs for years. I think you must have confused me with someone else.
Curse of the multiple Nicks - will fix original post, apologies that you all look the same to me.
User avatar
gusman2x
.
.
Posts: 4198
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:01 pm
Location: Manchester U.K.

Post: # 1401531Post gusman2x »

Have to agree that the staytrem fills the tone, kills the zing. However... OG bridges can suck my bell.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
User avatar
Thom
lamp
Posts: 6020
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:23 am
Location: Exeter, UK

Post: # 1401534Post Thom »

I don't mind an original bridge, if you know what you're doing they can be set up well. My Jag currently has a mustang bridge on it but with outer Jag barrels to bring the E strings in a bit from the edge of the fretboard.
That's one of the biggest plus points of the Staytrem for me over a regular Mustang bridge - the 52mm spacing rather than 55mm. Interestingly, both the new CV and the Am Pro bridges are 52mm, both 9.5" radius, and the newer Johnny Marr ones are 52mm with 7.25" spacing.
The CV and Am Pro bridges are plated brass saddles...I know we're getting into cork sniffing territory, but all I know is my guitar sounds great! Staytrems are stainless steel.
I'm totally with Doog on the rocking bridge though...Fender even put nylon inserts on the Am Pro bridges to stop the rocking (which I believe is also an option on the Staytrems).
User avatar
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper
Posts: 6803
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:47 pm

Post: # 1401535Post Hurb »

The only issue i have ever had with a rocking bridge is when the nutt was not set up properly and was binding.

Other than that....butter!
User avatar
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper
Posts: 6803
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:47 pm

Post: # 1401536Post Hurb »

robroe wrote:
Hurb wrote:
BearBoy wrote:Nazis who appear to know nothing about their supposed specialised subject.

It’s going to be like the 90s all over again...
I seriously don't get the cracked neck shit? Has anyone ever seen this ?
The guy was pretty passionate about shims being the reason but I have never ever heard of this.
You literally just posted a photo of your cracked neck pocket. Maybe it's the first time he has ever seen this part of a guitar and didnt know all you had to do is pour beer on it.
Haha that was a pocket not a neck!
Plus literally just got it and its never had a shim....sometimes wood just cracks.
User avatar
Doog
mid-century modem
Posts: 22121
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:49 pm
Location: London

Post: # 1401537Post Doog »

robroe wrote:1.2mm picks? You re like one of those island savages that if your boat gets to close to the island and you make eye contact you are already dead.

Shad thinks my 1.0mm picks are bulldozers.
Thick picks don't mean you have to play like a caveman though, just saying.

You're the one with the loadsa pick marks all over his scratchplates, like something you'd see on someone's back during an exorcism
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
User avatar
Nick
Y'SEE!?
Posts: 8944
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:13 am
Location: Albany, NY

Post: # 1401539Post Nick »

Had me up until “or Yamahas�.

:lol: :lol:

But really, neck pocket cracks might have to do with over tightening screws or putting stress on it (maybe using a case that doesn’t have enough room/proper support), many guitars from the factory come with shims, so :?

Which does beg the question: if this is indeed the proper way the bridge was designed to work, why does Fender/Squier not shim the guitars for the factory, or route the neck pockets at the proper angle?
User avatar
Noirie.
YOUTH
Posts: 5338
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:51 pm

Post: # 1401541Post Noirie. »

Nick wrote:why does Fender/Squier not shim the guitars for the factory, or route the neck pockets at the proper angle?
The made in USA ones came/come with shims. Newer ones have angled neck pockets but not sure which ones. CIJ are the same but it's a much lesser angle.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
User avatar
BearBoy
.
.
Posts: 6672
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:27 am
Location: Strung up to the lemons

Post: # 1401545Post BearBoy »

The JM Jag has an angled neck pocket.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
User avatar
NickD
.
.
Posts: 4962
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:41 am
Location: Sheffield, Innit

Post: # 1401547Post NickD »

benecol wrote:Mustang bridge is my fourth favourite, because it never quite seems to marry up with the JM dimensions and radius.

I like the string radius and spacing on the Mastery, I can get my JM and Jag set up just so, and it's built like a tank. I like the OG bridge, but I found I needed to go back and fettle every now and then, even if I used Loctite. And would still occasionally get strings wandering.
My Mastery has been rock solid for several years without needing adjustment.

And sorry Hurb, but I know how to set up a bridge and the OG one is utter shite in comparison. I'm not going to file it or owt because its vintage innit.

That facebook group does seem like a bunch of dicks though

benecol wrote:
NickS wrote:
benecol wrote: * When I'm not using my favoured NOS Matchpiks that NickS gave me.
Umm.. I've used the little Jazz IIIs for years. I think you must have confused me with someone else.
Curse of the multiple Nicks - will fix original post, apologies that you all look the same to me.
I use Jazz IIIs as well funnily enough, I bought the Matchpiks Tim is talking about in the 90s and never used them.
User avatar
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper
Posts: 6803
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:47 pm

Post: # 1401558Post Hurb »

NickD wrote:
My Mastery has been rock solid for several years without needing adjustment.

And sorry Hurb, but I know how to set up a bridge and the OG one is utter shite in comparison. I'm not going to file it or owt because its vintage innit.

.
Obviously I know you are legit when it comes to guitars. Remember when we built one in your house? But I have to ask what you find shite in the stock bridge? Do you find it s ball ache to setup? Or does it not work and give you problems?

If its the second one...I have either been extremely lucky with all the offset guitars I have worked on. Or I am doing something different to you and others that have issues. Does that make sense? Like I have no issues once setup now, although I admit they gave me challenges early on.

Just watched a video comparison on all jag bridges. The mastery seemed louder but not as nice to my ears.
User avatar
dots
BADmin
Posts: 1017975
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Esco-A-Go-Go
Contact:

Post: # 1401559Post dots »

benecol wrote:THEN YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN ME TOO, GLORIOUS LEADER.

I even use the same green ones as you*.








* When I'm not using my favoured NOS Matchpiks that NickD gave me.
ha! to be fair to you and doog (WHO TOTALLY FOOLED ME JUST THERE WITH HIS NON-DAVA PICKS), my daily drivers are the 1303s (black and red) as opposed to the 508 teals. i got a 1303 in a dava variety pack years ago and got hooked on them. i feel weird using anything other than their picks now, probably one of the more *amber* aspects to my musicianship. :lol:
Check out Runway Runaway by Saturday's Child
robroe wrote:Can you delete robroe?
kingkiller wrote:dot beat me
User avatar
dots
BADmin
Posts: 1017975
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Esco-A-Go-Go
Contact:

Post: # 1401563Post dots »

robroe wrote:1.2mm picks? You re like one of those island savages that if your boat gets to close to the island and you make eye contact you are already dead.

Shad thinks my 1.0mm picks are bulldozers.

dava picks are thin in the middle and thicker at the edges. the further "up" you grip them, the stiffer the action. their original marketing was if you held them further "down", they strummed like one of those hippy-dippy thin picks. i just use them because the texturing for some reason makes it so i almost never drop picks.


shads is weird, and he's never had a birthday.
Check out Runway Runaway by Saturday's Child
robroe wrote:Can you delete robroe?
kingkiller wrote:dot beat me
User avatar
dots
BADmin
Posts: 1017975
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Esco-A-Go-Go
Contact:

Post: # 1401565Post dots »

Noirie. wrote:
Nick wrote:why does Fender/Squier not shim the guitars for the factory, or route the neck pockets at the proper angle?
The made in USA ones came/come with shims. Newer ones have angled neck pockets but not sure which ones. CIJ are the same but it's a much lesser angle.
yep, my avri had three little, cardboard shims in it from the factory. still there 15 years later.
Check out Runway Runaway by Saturday's Child
robroe wrote:Can you delete robroe?
kingkiller wrote:dot beat me
User avatar
plopswagon
.
.
Posts: 14572
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:32 pm
Location: Behind you. Don't turn around
Contact:

Post: # 1401566Post plopswagon »

Image

Image

I don't always use a pick, but when I do I use Tortex Yellows on both guitar and bass.
theshadowofseattle wrote:Happy birthday dot
Hurb wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:31 amIts like Mumford and Sons never happened.
Image
User avatar
Noirie.
YOUTH
Posts: 5338
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:51 pm

Post: # 1401568Post Noirie. »

Image

Superior plec.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
User avatar
Nick
Y'SEE!?
Posts: 8944
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:13 am
Location: Albany, NY

Post: # 1401570Post Nick »

Nah, Ultex FTW. Even if George says they’re wrong because they’re translucent and hard to find on the carpet (just don’t drop them problem solved)
User avatar
Doog
mid-century modem
Posts: 22121
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:49 pm
Location: London

Post: # 1401573Post Doog »

Hurb wrote:
NickD wrote:My Mastery has been rock solid for several years without needing adjustment.

And sorry Hurb, but I know how to set up a bridge and the OG one is utter shite in comparison. I'm not going to file it or owt because its vintage innit.
Obviously I know you are legit when it comes to guitars. Remember when we built one in your house? But I have to ask what you find shite in the stock bridge? Do you find it s ball ache to setup? Or does it not work and give you problems?

If its the second one...I have either been extremely lucky with all the offset guitars I have worked on. Or I am doing something different to you and others that have issues. Does that make sense? Like I have no issues once setup now, although I admit they gave me challenges early on.
As soon as you factor in personal technique plus string and plectrum gauges, there's too many variables to make anything "100% PERFECT" for everyone.

Someone who uses a super flappy pick, playing open chords in between the pickups is gonna have less trouble than a 3mm boi tremolo-picking the fuck out of the strings by the bridge. Different tools for different fools.

I guess nuance doesn't shift YouTube view units, though :wink:
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
User avatar
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper
Posts: 6803
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:47 pm

Post: # 1401584Post Hurb »

Doog wrote:.

I guess nuance doesn't shift YouTube view units, though :wink:
Haha! :lol:

My playing has shifted in my old age. I am using my heavy metal picks less and enjoying my 10s the Jaguar...anyone remember when I used to use ZAkk Wylde strings? Lol

Not bought a ts9 yet
Post Reply