Guitar storage solutions?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Guitar storage solutions?

Post by Freddy V-C »

I used to have a 7-slot guitar rack, but it broke in transit during my recent house move. It was only a cheapo one and it had lasted me about 10 years, so I wasn't too upset. Plus, it's a long time since I've owned 7 guitars and I don't plan on getting back to that point any time soon. I currently own 2, and it might soon be 4 (desperately need a new bass, and I'm still lusting after an Epiphone Les Paul SL), but I've no plans to expand the collection beyond that.

Anyway, guitar stands/racks/whatever tend to be ugly as sin, and I'm relatively houseproud these days, so I'm trying to figure out a nicer-looking storage solution. Something like this would be ideal, but fuck spending £200 on a guitar stand:

http://www.stand-made.co.uk/product/we ... ar-stands/

Do any of you guys have a creative solution for storing your guitars? Ideally a solution which isn't ugly as sin? Or am I destined to either buy a sketchy-rehearsal-room-ass looking rack from Gear4Music or leave my guitars propped up against a wall in their cases?
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Hoping my fellow ShortScale-dandy Tim Benecol will weigh in on this thread.

Also inb4 "If you want your guitars to look nice then you should sell that ugly cheeseboard Telecaster".

ALSO I can't really do the wall-mounted thing because rented accommodation innit.
Last edited by Freddy V-C on Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I'm not a tweed fan, but these are classy:
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/6-Guitar-Rack-Case-by-Gear4music-Tweed/1S09

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/8-Guitar-Rack-Case-by-Gear4music-Tweed/1JP3

Actually I have a Stagg one like the first one. It's all black but it cost around the same.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

I bought 2 bags of these. They have been holding up the guitars in my basement for 10 years now with no failures. They fit any size neck because they swivel
dots wrote:incesticide
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Fakir Mustache wrote:I'm not a tweed fan, but these are classy...
I am a tweed fan, but the fact that it's a case (presumably for "touring") kind of puts me off, because the idea of me taking an entire rack full of guitars on tour is just so, so, so funny. I can't take it seriously. Also, the main point of this endeavour is to make me look like less of a manchild when people visit my house, and I'm not convinced that having the "yes I take 8 guitars on tour with me, which necessitates a giant rack that folds down into a case for when I'm out on the road, babey" is the right solution.

I should probably just get over my weird paranoid anxieties and buy it. It is nice.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I think I added this edit at the same time you posted, but sadly, Rob:
Freddy V-C wrote:ALSO I can't really do the wall-mounted thing because rented accommodation innit.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Freddy V-C wrote:
I am a tweed fan, but the fact that it's a case (presumably for "touring") kind of puts me off, because the idea of me taking an entire rack full of guitars on tour is just so, so, so funny. I can't take it seriously. Also, the main point of this endeavour is to make me look like less of a manchild when people visit my house, and I'm not convinced that having the "yes I take 8 guitars on tour with me, which necessitates a giant rack that folds down into a case for when I'm out on the road, babey" is the right solution.

I should probably just get over my weird paranoid anxieties and buy it. It is nice.
I kind of really wanted one of those Guitar Fetish paisley ones like that, but the shipping is like twice the price of the case, plus they don't even ship to where I live, I'd have to ship it to someone I know somewhere else. then pick tit up on a plane trip, or have them ship it.

I kind of think it would be cheaper and less complicated to find out what factory those are made in, go to China, bribe some factory guy to let me have one, then come back by plane.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

I've got one of those Stagg guitar case/stand things in black. Holds 6 guitars (5 if one of them is an acoustic). It looks nice enough I suppose but then it lives in my office. There's no way on earth Mrs BB would let me put it anywhere it might be visible.

TBH it never occurred to me it might look like I went on tour (or, worse, was trying to look like I went on tour) with lots of guitars. You've got me worrying about that now Freddy.

On the plus side, my new kitten likes to hide in it. I suspect the plush lining is quite cosy.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Freddy V-C wrote:I am a tweed fan
Freddy V-C wrote:I can't really do the wall-mounted thing because rented accommodation innit.
Someone must have been thinking of you when they came up with this!

ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

BearBoy wrote:TBH it never occurred to me it might look like I went on tour (or, worse, was trying to look like I went on tour) with lots of guitars. You've got me worrying about that now Freddy.
:lol:
SAVEStheDAY

Post by SAVEStheDAY »

I recently bought a 5 guitar rack from Monoprice. Is it pretty? No. Is it cheap? Yes ($35). Is it sturdy? As much as the metal tube style can be. FWIW I've spent more and been less happy with other racks in the past.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=602105
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Freddy V-C wrote:Hoping my fellow ShortScale-dandy Tim Benecol will weigh in on this thread.
Checking in with a Santa's sack full of disappointment: I use one of those ugly toastrack ones, but I've DIY upholstered it (method: loads of white t-shirts left over from a student project fastened on with hairbands) to protect the nitro finishes of my dentist guitars.

My genius chum Joe (LCOM Joe) would just buy a £6.99 tiny stand every time he got a guitar; one of those ones where there's hardly any stand to see, just guitar. That was an annoyingly good, least ugly method.

DISCLAIMER: too many guitars+dogs/kids/booze makes for a life-sized guitar skittle alley.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

robroe wrote:

I bought 2 bags of these. They have been holding up the guitars in my basement for 10 years now with no failures. They fit any size neck because they swivel
I’ve been to your basement, are these the hangers that chewed up and melted the nitro off your American/vintage Fenders?
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Nick wrote:
robroe wrote:

I’ve been to your basement, are these the hangers that chewed up and melted the nitro off your American/vintage Fenders?
no i replaced all those with these a long ass time ago.

those old things were like U bolts with rubber on them i got from the local hardware store for 99 cents each
dots wrote:incesticide
NickD

Post by NickD »

I use one of these. They are a bit spendy but I got my one used from eBay. I used to use some of their single guitar stands when I had more guitars, I swear by them TBH.

Web Page Name
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Freddy V-C wrote:

Man, you need to stop worrying about what people will think of your [checks notes] .. guitar storage? Is.. is that right?
George

Post by George »

Freddy V-C wrote:

I have a case one in black vinyl without those showy boarded sides. I like that it's portable if need be (I was a student when I bought it) and also don't have to worry about getting the hoover under it. Filled with guitars in the corner it looks like any old functional rack, and doesn't give off those vibes. Well, maybe it does and I've been oblivious to them all these years. Urgh, the cringe!!!
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Doog wrote:Man, you need to stop worrying about what people will think of your [checks notes] .. guitar storage? Is.. is that right?
Doog, you’ve met me, in the flesh, multiple times. You know how unbelievably neurotic I am.

In all seriousness though, I am half joking in this thread. I am more than happy to just buy a £40 rack from Thomann and leave it at that, and I don’t genuinely think all my friends will judge me for owning an ugly guitar rack. BUT it would be nice to have something that looks nicer, if that thing exists.

We’re a forum full of deeply shallow men who frequently compare one slab of wood painted blue to another slightly differently shaped slab of wood painted a slightly different shade of blue. We all obviously buy half this shit just to look cool. Is it really that ridiculous (I mean yes, fair enough, it is quite ridiculous) for me to want my guitar stand to look cool (yes, it absolutely is ridiculous)?

Sorry guys, the forum's over, shut it down. Doog says we're not allowed to worry about looking cool anymore. We all have to sit in a room with blank grey walls playing a black unbranded Strat copy through a Roland Cube.

I'm sorry, it's not my decision guys, it's Doog. I don't make the rules. Blame Doog.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

If you'd prefer something a little less "black tubular metal" or "delusions of world stadium tours", there's someone on eBay who makes wooden stands in a variety of sizes/finishes: LANK
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Freddy V-C wrote:We’re a forum full of deeply shallow men...
With you all the way baby. If this fuckwittery continues, we'll just start our own forum somewhere else.