Squier CV '70s Jaguar demo and ramble

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

blane

Post by blane »

The examples related to what I think you called "the sympathetic vibrations" the Jaguar produces were well done and enlightening.

Side note: Your latest EP has a cool vibe and reminded me of The Man on the Burning Tightrope by Firewater.
Guitars:
2014 American Deluxe Stratocaster
2013 Gibson SG 61RI
1998 Paul Reed Smith CE22
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

WTF, BLANE!

Where the hell have YOU been?!
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
blane

Post by blane »

Doog wrote:WTF, BLANE!

Where the hell have YOU been?!
You know, just doing that old man thing. I always peek my head in when Squire does something interesting. I watched your demo today, so the least I could do was leave a note and check out your new tunes.
Guitars:
2013 Gibson SG 61RI
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

It's good to hear from you, man!

Thanks for the kind words, I'll be checking out that track you namechecked 👌

edit: ooh yeah, very Tom Waits/Krusty The Clown haunted circus, nice! I'm trying to get into writing more kinda old spooky Eastern European folk, will hopefully take it somewhere a bit more original at some point
blane

Post by blane »

Doog wrote:It's good to hear from you, man!

Thanks for the kind words, I'll be checking out that track you namechecked 👌

edit: ooh yeah, very Tom Waits/Krusty The Clown haunted circus, nice! I'm trying to get into writing more kinda old spooky Eastern European folk, will hopefully take it somewhere a bit more original at some point
That track specifically isn't the best, I meant more the whole record. The singer/songwriter started with a lot of eastern european/punk/alternative on his first record, then started moving towards more circus/world music in his later releases. It's a cool band, I'm sure you could find some gems you'd like.
Guitars:
2013 Gibson SG 61RI
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Nice one, will add it to my Spotify.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Inspired by my boy Jorden-Hurb's masterful upgrades and tweaking of his various Squiereses, I figured I'd try staining the pale Indian laurel fretboard on the Jag, and took delivery of a few 'samples' (heh-heh-heh, suckers...).

Some before photos:
► Show Spoiler

So the water-based stuff didn't work out at all (possibly user error, and lack of supplied directions), but the oil-based stuff worked out great; 1 coat dried for 5 hours, then another dried overnight. Ended-up using the MAHAGONI, and made it look as if it'd attended a GG Allin gig in the process:
► Show Spoiler
(Ebay link for anyone interested)

And some afters/during-s:
► Show Spoiler
Not great photos (it's gloomy as fuck outside) but good enough. The OG wood itself was quite patchy colourwise, so the stained version reflects that; maybe a restain in the future would help balance it a bit more. Either way, it dfinitely makes the whole thing vibe a lot nicer, and I don't think I even quite used the whole sachet for both coats; not bad for a few quid!
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Looks great !
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

It looks much better. I recently lemon oiled the fretboard on my strat and it became much darker which is strange cause I had oiled it before numerous times with the oil from the same bottle and it never got permanently dark but this time it totally did
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

That's interesting, I found lemon oil didn't really get absorbed by this fretboard, and the instructions to NEVER LEAVE IT ON, NO MATTER WHAT made me too nervy to leave it on overnight in case it exploded.

Maybe the weather?

I might give it a go on one of my dryboys in the guitar rack though, at least on a single fret or something
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Now that I'm looking at it, it doesn't seem super dark, just like your average rosewood fretboard should be a little bit on a brighter side but it used to be even paler like milk chocolate

Maybe the oil gone rank or something. This bottle is 7 or 8 years old
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Looks good Doog, nice work.
KillerGuitarRigs

Post by KillerGuitarRigs »

Looks badass.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Doog wrote:That's interesting, I found lemon oil didn't really get absorbed by this fretboard
On my CV Mustang the fingerboard feels like it has some kind of lacquer or something similar on it. There is something they put on, so I'm not surprised lemon oil doesn't do anything because it doesn't go to the bare wood.

I'm thinking Kiwi would have worked as well if you wanted it to look like rosewood.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

But the oil-based stain did work soooooooo

Also: I'm not putting shoe polish on my guitar when there's a fit-for-purpose option
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

lookin good, doog!

(^that's 3 queen annes, too!)