Hofner shorty bass

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Rignart

Hofner shorty bass

Post by Rignart »

HELP!!
I bought a Hofner shorty bass. I did not know when I bought it, it came with guitar tuning machines on it. I want to replace them with bass tuning machines. I know I will have to drill out the holes a little more, butwhat tuning machines do you suggest? I need some help please. Total newb here.

Thanks
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

What do you expect to be different out of a larger tuning peg? I would keep the factory tuning pegs, and make sure to use the correct scale length tapered strings.
Rignart

Post by Rignart »

I can't. One of them broke. So I need to chane them anyway.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

One of the pegs broke? How?
Rignart

Post by Rignart »

I was putting a new bass string on and tightening it and it broke
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Where did it break? Are you using the factory strings and tuning to standard EADG tuning? If it's a new instrument you might be under warranty for a replacement tuning peg, even if not you could try writing to Hofner - they may be able to send or sell you a new one.

I get that this is an inexpensive travel/practice bass, and the tuners may not be made of the most durable metals (I have had a guitar tuning key snap before on a low end Gretsch, but it's really not that common). If this is the case and it wasn't user error, your best option is to remove the tuning peg and measure the hole, then try to find a good set that matches the size.

I wouldn't drill wider holes in your headstock unless you're experienced doing with sort of thing or having it done by someone who is.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/tuners ... s.1375053/

Hofners generally have smaller tuning keys, something like this might work? http://www.ebay.com/i/254596839143

I'd still measure first.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Rignart

Thanks

Post by Rignart »