NGD Gibson Les Paul Special

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Thomas

NGD Gibson Les Paul Special

Post by Thomas »

I was looking to get rid or one of my Gretsch guitars last week and ended up doing a trade for this. It’s a 2016 LP Special Proprietary run (exclusive for the Japanese market). The cool thing about that is because the Japanese buyers are more into classic specs this has normal pots and solder rather than PCB. It’s genuinely one of the best Gibson guitars I’ve played so I’d wholeheartedly recommend trying one if you ever come across one. I’d love find a beater to mod.

It’s super easy to play, due in part to it having 9s on it but I’m gonna keep it set with this gauge for the foreseeable future. The P90s sound great too. It has dot’s and binding too which my preferred neck style on Gibbos.

westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

That's a beauty,congrats!
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Yeah!
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Oh man, I love them. I nearly bought one a couple of years back, but word is the necks are pretty thin?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

benecol wrote:Oh man, I love them. I nearly bought one a couple of years back, but word is the necks are pretty thin?
Definitely on the thinner side for a Gibson. Not as thin as the 61 reissue I used to have but for sure thinner than the regular more rounded profile. These are very similar to the early 90s versions of you’ve ever played one of those. They may well have gone for a slimmer neck profile because it was for the Japanese market. Slimmer necks seem to be more popular over there.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Super nice! I was just actually eyeing-up one of the new TV Yellow Epiphones:
► Show Spoiler
and admiring the clean simple layout, your one looks GORG in wine red with the wraparound. Dead classy, like.

One of my problems with wraparound bridges is the lack of intonation adjustment and how the guitar FEELS without proper saddles, but I've just become wise to these kind of badboys:
► Show Spoiler
So, maybe my future can too be clean and classy. At least, guitar-wise, anyways.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Congrats on the guitar, looks like a battle ready punk rock machine

I've had a guitar with a badass bridge like the one in the picture above and I didn't like it. It was huge, felt wonky, had sharp saddle edges and was like super tall for that particular guitar which had rather small neck to body angle so the action was high. There is a cheap Chinese copy of a Tonepros bridge that I had never got to try before I sold the guitar, but it should be better as the whole bridge is a bit lower, smaller and slicker. Cur built a pink Mustang with Teisco pickups awhile ago and he used that bridge on it

Pink Teiscostang
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Yeah I was ready to buy a Badass variant bridge if needed but it's actually fine. There's subtle shaping to the top of the bridge so it looks uniform and domed but it's got a slight shape to it.

I was looking at the Epi too Doog, its supposed to be one of the best out of the new range.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

The Jaguar though - umpf.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

sunshiner wrote:Cur built a pink Mustang with Teisco pickups awhile ago and he used that bridge on it
Pink Teiscostang
Don't fucking remind me, I've been THIS close to crawling on my knees to beg him to make one for me
Mike wrote:The Jaguar though - umpf.
Right?

This guy has way too many nice guitars.

Is Thomas a.... blues lawyer?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Is it the 6% IPA or is that age checking to the finish? Either way fucking hell.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Doog wrote:
sunshiner wrote:Cur built a pink Mustang with Teisco pickups awhile ago and he used that bridge on it
Pink Teiscostang
Don't fucking remind me, I've been THIS close to crawling on my knees to beg him to make one for me
I feel you pain :D
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

The jag is gorgeous
Johno

Post by Johno »

izodiak

Post by izodiak »

I really like this Les Paul You got !

Was trying to search for some "japanese style" ones and ran on this one in reverb.com , superb !
kim wrote:plankton people will be plankton people
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Cool as fuckkkk
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Love a special. Would love to own a special. I have a studio gem that has p90s which I fall in and out with. Mostly love it these days, but I think a junior would be that bit more chuck-a-roundable. But yeah, lps with p90s are kinda unmatched sondz wise. HNGD.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

That yellow Special is beautiful!!

The Jaguar is still my main Squeeze.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Thomann are doing a deal on the Junior jobs at the minute. They're probably grrrreat.

In looking at them, they also make this, which is fucking tits mcgee.