if squier put out the new 2020 squier's today would U buy 1?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Nick wrote:Guitar Center just had a blemished Shell Pink Squier Cyclone II online for $319 so I bought it. :oops:
PANK
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

:D :D :D

Congrats! It's the one I would've bought from this series. Though Rob's supersonic, toronado and cabronita are supesweet as well
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Nick wrote:Guitar Center just had a blemished Shell Pink Squier Cyclone II online for $319 so I bought it. :oops:
Hooray!

Future dibs
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

sunshiner wrote::D :D :D

Congrats! It's the one I would've bought from this series. Though Rob's supersonic, toronado and cabronita are supesweet as well
Thanks, I played a few of the new Squiers the other day when I dropped off the Mustang (Cyclone, Supersonic, CV Starcaster), and the Cyclone was my favorite of the bunch.

To be honest I'm somewhat worried what might show up since Guitar Center online gives no indication as to what the blemish actually is. I called to make sure their 45 day return policy still applies to blemished items before purchasing. If it's just a few finish scratches/cracks or a small ding on the back or something I'll keep it, if it's anything that affects playability or any cracks/significant paint chips or deep scratches I'll probably be returning it. I noticed after checkout that it had "Grade 2" in the description, which I'm pretty sure still tells me nothing.
Doog wrote: Hooray!

Future dibs
For sure, I'll also let you know first if I decide to return it just in case you're not as bothered by whatever is wrong with it.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Just FYI for anyone interested in these, when I called Guitar Center the sales rep informed me that the Paranormal series is a single production run and when they’re gone they’re gone. Not sure if this is common knowledge but worth sharing if anyone’s on the fence about getting one.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

They mentioned that in one of the Andertons videos. They said they thought Fender might release them in different colours but I think they were just speculating tbh.

Still trying to resist the urge to get one and the "they might run out and become super r@re" vibe isn't helping...
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I don’t think these will depreciate at all, especially the Cyclones, Toronados and SuperSonics. The only other paranormal I might be interested in is the baritone Tele but if I miss this run it’s not like I can’t slap a conversion neck on any off the shelf Tele.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

I've long wanted a Cyclone II and a Toronado but tbh I've already got more guitars than I need so am trying to resist.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

I wanted either the Baritone Tele or the Cyclone but I don’t think I’ll be able to get either tbh. Have to maybe scoop one secondhand when and if they pop up.
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

kingkiller wrote:I wanted either the Baritone Tele or the Cyclone but I don’t think I’ll be able to get either tbh. Have to maybe scoop one secondhand when and if they pop up.
keep a watch on the big retailers for blemished or open box returns like I did. That will likely be the cheapest they’ll ever be.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

My Cyclone II arrived today. Initial impressions:

Overall fit and finish is very nice. The "blem" was just a couple of miniscule stress cracks in the finish on the neck pocket, I wouldn't have even noticed them. It came more/less tuned up which was somewhat worrisome but doesn't seem like anything bad happened during shipping. Action is extremely low, and strung with 9's it is very plinky. Moreso than the 10.5's on my Mustang. Bridge set up floating, which I like, especially since my Strat is set up locked down. The long Jag/Jazzmaster type vibrato arm is also a nice touch and allows for some more subtle use. Odd thing about the arm is the matte plastic tip, which I've never seen before.

This is my first guitar with Indian Laurel. No complaints but it is definitely one of the less beautiful fretboards on a guitar I own. As Freddy mentioned in his Tele thread, it has a very dry, almost chalky finish to it, looks like it would be a black hole for oils if I tried to condition it.

I love the details like the Squier stamps on the bridge saddles.

I'm pretty sure I hate the pickups. They might not be bad, but they're not my cup of tea. Or maybe it's the pots, can't tell if they're 250 or 500k, but It's nearly twice as loud through the same amp as my strat.

Not sure what to do....I had some Dimarzio strat pickups I was waiting to put into something (SDS-1, DP403 Virtual Heavy Blues, and some unknown single coil), possibly this, but I suspect they might just be more hotness which I probably won't like I might just try them anyway. Ideally I think I'd want to put some AV Jag pickups in it like the originals but there doesn't seem to be any good pickguard options for the claw mount and I'm wary of cutting my original pickguard since I don't think you can buy a replacement. I'd probably be happy with some GFS vintage output strat pickups, but I'm going to give it a few weeks before deciding what to do.