Broken Eko Cobra - what to do?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

NickS

Broken Eko Cobra - what to do?

Post by NickS »

I have one of those Italian-made 60s Eko Cobras. This is how it should look (from gbase.com).
It had a single neck pickup so I butchered it by digging out space to move the pickup down to the neck, cut a new guard out of laminate and built a fuzz circuit into the guitar. So far, so good.
When I came to sell it the potential buyer pointed out that the neck was, in fact, cracked. So I tried to fix it with epoxy glue, but it didn't really work out. Later I robbed some frets from the fretboard to get another guitar working again. Then I left it in the loft for some years where damp and temperature changes resulted in some serious finish cracking/checking.

Loth as I am to give up on a guitar, I'm thinking at this point the best idea is to part it out? I don't think the neck is fixable so it would need replacing and I doubt I can find one with the correct pitch for the six-in line machines.
finboy

Post by finboy »

I had an old eko, had many of the issues you described, I parted it out as I just didn’t find it an inherently playable instrument.