Need help choosing my backup

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

cucaracha

Need help choosing my backup

Post by cucaracha »

Hi guys! This is my first post, I think
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what guitar to get as a backup, my main guitar is now a refinished '73 vintage Fender Mustang, I have some issues with it but I absolutely love the weight and body shape, and I really enjoy playing it, but sometimes I feel like the sound is a little thin and weak, and using the trem is out of the question if I want to keep the guitar in tune. anyways, I want to get a backup guitar for gigging, and at first my plan was to get my hands on a japanese fender mustang, but considering the issues I'm having with my main axe, I'm thinking maybe getting a japanese jaguar would be a more convenient move, but I don't know if I should stick with the mustang and maybe just try solving the issues, maybe block the trem and try some hotter single coils... :?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

If it's just a backup, why not get a used Squier and use the extra coin to get the Fender set-up properly?
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
cucaracha

Post by cucaracha »

Doog wrote:If it's just a backup, why not get a used Squier and use the extra coin to get the Fender set-up properly?
That could be a fairly reasonable option! But I'm afraid the question would be the same: jaguar or mustang?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I don't think another Mustang or a Jaguar is the correct option. Can you learn to set up the Mustang first? The trem should be usable. If the pickups sound terrible, why persevere with it?

Buy a Classic Vibe Strat.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Buy a used CV strat or a tele. Or a hardtail Bullet Mustang, they are lightweight
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Jaguars can have their own setup issues, personally I find Mustangs much easier to set up so a Jag wouldn’t be my first choice here. I’d have to say, unless there’s a strong reason for sticking with the 24� scale, Paul’s suggestion of a CV Strat is spot on.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Yeah, Jaguars are way more fussy as guitars, although the Squiers are generally in better shape than the MIJ/CIJs of old us old codgers used to buy.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Welcome man,

As others have said, it'd probably be a good idea to get a guitar that's a little different, and a bit cheaper. A god s/h Squier CV strat or tele will give you a new and interesting instrument, and leave you plenty to get your mustang set up nice.

The only caveat is if you are specifically after a guitar that allows you to do that gliding whammy sound, in which case you would be looking at a Jag of Jazzmaster. Bothof which you could get a nice Squier CV version of, and still spend money on having them both set up.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
George

Post by George »

Classic player Jag. The TOM bridge makes it way more reliable and the jag trem is still the best Fender offers, in my opinion.

My custom has the same bridge/trem configuration and I can play a show of two or three 45 minute to one hour sets using the trem a lot and not need to tune it except to get rid of occasional minor drifting during the breaks (tuner needle still shows green with the tiniest bit of red up or down). I have a light touch but I’d still say that’s quite reliable
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Buy an ESP Ltd JH-600
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

A 50 string bass
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
cucaracha

Post by cucaracha »

Okay, thanks
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

What about this?
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

George wrote:Classic player Jag. The TOM bridge makes it way more reliable and the jag trem is still the best Fender offers, in my opinion.

My custom has the same bridge/trem configuration and I can play a show of two or three 45 minute to one hour sets using the trem a lot and not need to tune it except to get rid of occasional minor drifting during the breaks (tuner needle still shows green with the tiniest bit of red up or down). I have a light touch but I’d still say that’s quite reliable
if you're dropping cash this is a good guitar. I love mine, though I've swapped out the TOM for a regular fender jag bridge.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

WELCOME!

before we think about modding the 73' can we get a photo of it ?

i have some ideas
dots wrote:incesticide
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Actually, if you like the Mustang except for the trem and the sound, it might be worth thinking about a bullet mustang. No trem, and humbucker pickups.