Talk to me about Fender amps

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

sunshiner wrote:Fender Blues Deluxe. 5 tubes, 40 watts, Fender cleans, more "classic" overdriven sound than Hot Rod series. Some people argue that it's a perfect match for a Tele.

Peavey Classic 30 has some reputation of being not reliable when old. Older models are famous for tubes rattling like crazy and there are soldering problems. As far as I remember there are two circuit boards that are soldered together at a 90 degree angle and the soldering gets loose with the time from vibration, some amps break constantly. Also the amp as it is doesn't have pristine fendery cleans, maybe if you change the speaker, but it's probably the circuit
I always get confused between the blues Deluxe and hot rod Deluxe. I think the BD is the better of the two?

The Peavey Classic I was referring to was one of these dealies, not the 30/20/delta/etc:

sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Yes, you actually wrote what kind of Classic you meant, I as usual read it inattentively.

Yeah BD is considered to be a better more classic version... now, ten years ago when more extreme music was popular HRD seemed to be more favored in general. There are several generations of HRD though and I don't know what the difference is between them
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

the biggest difference between HRD amps is when they went from silver to black on the chassis, I think V3? They tightened up the bass response and fixed the dirty channel up, also made the EQ a little more sensitive. otherwise they're about the same. I have an old blues jr, played the black chassis one and still sprung for a cheap silver chassis version.

also yeah blues dlx is the better of the two, tweed tolex, they voiced it a little warmer, nicer drive channel too. if I remember correctly j mascis had one pointed at his head for Dinosaur jr shows, either that or some other old tweed fender I can't remember.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

At the time of their 2017 Rig Rundown it was a Twin Reverb, though Lou had a mic'd up tweed combo behind his stage amps I don't think they mentioned and also said J used to have the amp that's pointed at his head over on the bass side of the stage, so it's possible that was his too.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Yep, it was a Twin when I saw them. I remember thinking "Fuuuuck".
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Alright, so I finally went out and actually just... played some amps. A local shop currently has a Hot Rod Deluxe and a red knob Super 60 in stock, so I took my guitar down this afternoon and had a mess around.

At first I was pretty impressed by the Super 60, nice bass response considering the compact size, it sounded pretty "shimmery" or whatever, and the reverb was decent sounding (although I rarely use reverb, to be fair). But once I was able to A/B it with the HRD there was no contest. The Super 60 was actually kind of boxy and sterile in comparison. I liked the HRD a lot, but it was priced at £500 (shop assistant explained they were selling this one on behalf of a private seller, so they hadn't set the price) which seemed a little steep. The guy also mentioned he's selling a mid-noughties Twin for £300, it isn't currently in the shop but he could bring it in for me if I'd like to try it out. The reverb isn't working, hence the low low price. Since I don't really use reverb anyway, I feel like it might be worth consideration.

Considering how much I liked the Hot Rod Deluxe today, I am also kind of tempted by a Deville. It seems like you can pick up the 4x10 version for ~£450 all day on Reverb and Gumtree, and I do love BIG AMPS. I am determined to fuck up my back and there's nothing any of you can do about it.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Freddy V-C wrote:Alright, so I finally went out and actually just... played some amps.
This is not how we decide which gear sounds best.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Bacchus wrote:
Freddy V-C wrote:Alright, so I finally went out and actually just... played some amps.
This is not how we decide which gear sounds best.
Yeah I am pretty upset about this.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Fuck the Fender. Do this setup instead.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

It’s all Benecol’s fault.

benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

FFS, no outing
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

They do sound really good though, especially at gig volumes.

Get that extended warranty though.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Noirie. wrote:Image
{Andrés Segovia-ing intensifies}
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Freddy V-C wrote:Alright, so I finally went out and actually just... played some amps. A local shop currently has a Hot Rod Deluxe and a red knob Super 60 in stock, so I took my guitar down this afternoon and had a mess around.

At first I was pretty impressed by the Super 60, nice bass response considering the compact size, it sounded pretty "shimmery" or whatever, and the reverb was decent sounding (although I rarely use reverb, to be fair). But once I was able to A/B it with the HRD there was no contest. The Super 60 was actually kind of boxy and sterile in comparison. I liked the HRD a lot, but it was priced at £500 (shop assistant explained they were selling this one on behalf of a private seller, so they hadn't set the price) which seemed a little steep. The guy also mentioned he's selling a mid-noughties Twin for £300, it isn't currently in the shop but he could bring it in for me if I'd like to try it out. The reverb isn't working, hence the low low price. Since I don't really use reverb anyway, I feel like it might be worth consideration.

Considering how much I liked the Hot Rod Deluxe today, I am also kind of tempted by a Deville. It seems like you can pick up the 4x10 version for ~£450 all day on Reverb and Gumtree, and I do love BIG AMPS. I am determined to fuck up my back and there's nothing any of you can do about it.
Oh lawd no. Don't get the 4x10. I've never understood why that thing exists.

I haven't kept up with this thread at all, but has anyone suggested Peavey Classics yet?
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

ekwatts wrote:I've never understood why that thing exists.
Because it's big, Eric.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Freddy V-C wrote:
ekwatts wrote:I've never understood why that thing exists.
Because it's big, Eric.
But why has it only got four speakers?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Deville 4x10: 50 lbs (22.7 kg)

Deville III 60w 2x12: 53.5 lbs (24.26 kg)
The 2x12 is HEAVIER
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Doog wrote:
Deville 4x10: 50 lbs (22.7 kg)

Deville III 60w 2x12: 53.5 lbs (24.26 kg)
The 2x12 is HEAVIER
WHAAAAAAT

SO HEAVY

FREDDY NO still DOnT DO ITTT
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I'm kind of intrigued by a Peavey Classic. I've got this idea in my head that Peaveys are naff amps that people just settle for when they can't afford anything better, but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

The Classic 30 head looks like it could suit my needs pretty well. Also intrigued by the Classic 50 410 (because I a fool and I do not care about my back). But honestly it doesn't seem like they're any cheaper second hand than a similarly specced Fender. Can someone explain to me why I should/would/could go for a Peavey over a Fender?

Also I just this very moment realised that the Blues Deville and the Hot Rod Deville are two different amps. And the blues one is apparently much nicer. Anyone care to tell me I'm mistaken?
Doog wrote:Deville 4x10: 50 lbs (22.7 kg)
This is just a hair heavier than my bandmate's Bassbreaker 18/30 (22.68kg, apparently), which isn't too bad to lift at all.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

The Fender is a copy of the Peavey.