Recommend a sub-£100 distortion pedal.

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

ekwatts
A series of tubes

Recommend a sub-£100 distortion pedal.

Post by ekwatts »

I am drowning in muff.

I don't need any more fuzz pedals. Between my Carcosa, Muff Pi and Nine of Swords Tyrant, I don't need another fuzz pedal (NOTE: This doesn't mean I won't buy another. lol. I mean, srsly guyz). What I am lacking is a good, basic distortion/overdrive.

Currently on my list is an MXR Distortion Plus and the EHX Crayon. What else should I consider looking up? I'm looking to cover mainly classic 60s/70s style rock up to... well, anything, really. If you make a recommendation, point out what style of music it has most traditionally been used for. It doesn't really matter, but it'll help give me an idea. Equally, if you know of any good cheap clones of classic pedals, throw them in too.

Recommendations for the Boss DS1 will be seriously considered.
Recommendations for Tubescreamers will result in a behind-the-scenes lobbying campaign for your total and complete ban by dots.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Mooer Rat copy would probably be a good fit. They pair up nicely with Muffs too.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Noirie. wrote:Mooer Rat copy would probably be a good fit. They pair up nicely with Muffs too.
All of this. Rat with the distortion set to 8.30 is my sound. Another pearler is the Fredric Scrambled Brainz (Ampeg Scrambler clone) - being able to blend the distorted signal in (and being able to set it anywhere between 70s distortion and headache octave) is pure beauty.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I'm tempted to get a Rat. I'd like a "proper" one but can't be arsed faffing about with the weird power supply.

Is the Mooer the best one with a standard 9v, do we reckon? I'm intrigued by the EHX Flatiron too...
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Oh I have a Rat, got a Little Bear copy as well as genuine Rat. Still, the Mooer IS smaller so it's always tempting. Not so much an upgrade as a... side-'grade?
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

ekwatts wrote:Little Bear copy
£39???

How does it compare to the real deal?

(Sorry for thread derail.)
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Freddy V-C wrote:
£39???

It's a more open sound, less gated. Though I'll be honest, my actual Rat is buried under boxes back at my mums, so I actually haven't compared the two of them, and I know there are chip differences with some Rat's, but I actually have no idea what kind of Rat mine is. So, er, basically, all I can say is that it sounds like a Rat, and it sounds very good. Except my Little Bear version is super dodgy and occasionally just cuts out so I think I got a lemon. It might not have helped that the pedal came from China in a basic plastic envelope with no box or padding(!). So the Mooer might be a better shout just in terms of reliability. Another I had my eye on for a while was a Biyang Mouse pedal, although apparently there's a weird factory flaw that needs fixing on them due to somebody at Biyang having misread a resistor rating on the Rat schematic when they copied it. Similarly priced to the Little Bear though.

http://spartanmusic.co.uk/products/biyang-ds-8-mouse
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

[youtube][/youtube]
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Metal Zone.
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Freddy V-C wrote:
£39???

£39 I got mine for a fiver when he started selling on eBay years ago, t'is the only rat I own - I sold my mooer one when I got this.
XY
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

For overdrive, I'll say this once again... Stop fucking about and get an SD-1.

Distortion get a Boss HM-2

[Edit] the Boss OS-2 fits your description of needs perfectly (DS-1 and SD-1 in one box) get one of those... they're great!
XY
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

dezb1 wrote:For overdrive, I'll say this once again... Stop fucking about and get an SD-1.

Distortion get a Boss HM-2

[Edit] the Boss OS-2 fits your description of needs perfectly (DS-1 and SD-1 in one box) get one of those... they're great!
I 2nd this, though you could go budget by getting the Behringer HM-300(HM-2 clone).
Noisy Cat

Post by Noisy Cat »

You can get a used OCD for less than £100. My favourite is version 1.4. Best overdrive/disortion pedal I've ever used. More interesting, versatile and responsive than a Rat.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

ekwatts wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
lol 4:02 "fuck knows which is 'better'"

That's it all over, innit.

Interesting to hear the Turbo RAT against the RAT2 in this context; I had one when I was like 16 but I never liked it too much (not enough gain :roll: ).

Don't remember there being so big difference on the Mooer when I owned it.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Red Llama?

Most of my dirt pedals are either transparentish overdrives or fuzzes, but the Red Llama is probably the most satsifying thing I've had that's in that zone in between. Enough dirt, plenty of clarity.

Or Grumbly Wolf, if you can convince Tim to knock off a quid to make it sub £100. Distortion+, but better, and with a ring modulator for scaring the wee'un.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Also, you wouldn't be asking this question if you had a Harmonic Percolator. Becuase then you'd know, it's a Harmonic Percolator.

(I have three Harmonic Percolators).
George

Post by George »

The Little Bear has a "dirty" mode which uses germanium diodes and sounds great. What's not good is the filter pot doesn't have as much of the higher end available as proper rats and other clones (that's not just a taper issue either). Maybe the one I got was put together wrong.

Germanium Muffs are like £40 on eBay at the moment, sound great and how I've set it up is definitely more distortion but it can still go like a fuzz using the battery starve and bias pots and can be very vintage sounding. It's a bit noisy and fussy about where it goes in signal chain but does the guitar volume cleanup thing excellently and it will do the 60s and 70s rock/pop stuff incredibly well too. Really fun and interactive pedal.

I'll give another recommendation for the OS-2, but while it's possible to get distortion out of it that's not really what I'd use it for.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

benecol wrote:Also, you wouldn't be asking this question if you had a Harmonic Percolator. Becuase then you'd know, it's a Harmonic Percolator.
This tbh.

I haven't used anything else for the past 5 years. The only reason I'm thinking about getting a Rat is because I'm worried I'm growing stale.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

dezb1 wrote:Stop fucking about and get an SD-1.
it sounds good and 70's enough to me when i put my cyclone through it into my vox pathfinder, which i haven't done in a long ass time. it's just a really nice drive tone
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Try out a Ehx Hot tubes or the TC Electronics tube overdrive.