the current state of the surf green mustang bass in 2019

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

mkt3000 wrote:
I'm glad to see that that pickup getting used.
((thumup) thanks again, will keep you posted when I get around to using the other parts!

Going back to the Squier classic vibe, I checked yesterday hoping there might be some sort of Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal and found the date got pushed back to March 2020
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

March?

Jesus christ

I'm still waiting for the tenor tele to even show up on a website.

I wanted one to take in my bag to ALBQ but looks like that ain't happening
dots wrote:incesticide
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

It looks like the price of the Squier has been quietly raised to $399. Still not in stock. My excitement for this has gone from impulse preorder, to I’ll buy one once they’re actually in stores, to maybe buying one used if the right deal pops up.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

The green ones are in stock now at Sweetwater and Guitar Center. There's one available on Reverb for $349 brand new.

I need a new bass and might just go for it... stay tuned!
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

BearBoy wrote:Not surf green (so far, at least) but Fender Japan have got a new range of PJ Mustang basses with vintage style tail pieces:

God damn, that natural finish one is calling to me.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Oooo that cream one looks mighty fine
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I'm just a bit obsessed with natural finish guitars lately. Reckon I'm gonna end up with a house full of various cheeseboard looking Fenders.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Freddy V-C wrote:I'm just a bit obsessed with natural finish guitars lately. Reckon I'm gonna end up with a house full of various cheeseboard looking Fenders.
You’re on that coffee table kick, mate
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

kingkiller wrote:Oooo that cream one looks mighty fine
White 3 ply pickguard and white pickup covers would make a bass that I could just sit, look and jerk off for hours at
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

sunshiner wrote:
White 3 ply pickguard and white pickup covers would make a bass that I could just sit, look and jerk off for hours at
They’ve gotta be rahbroe covers tho. No pole pieces allowed
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

kingkiller wrote:
sunshiner wrote:
They’ve gotta be rahbroe covers tho. No pole pieces allowed
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

LOL I bit the bullet on the Torino Red Bronco Bass instead. Should be here Monday. Have gigs the following Saturday and Wednesday. Dare I play out with the stock pup or stick with my McCartney thing?

Also, I got my daughter a Torino Red Mini Strat for Christmas, which is actually a great guitar (except for the fact that the 22.75" scale makes my wrist cramp). So whilst Fred builds an army of classy natural guitars, we're going a bit more flashy here at my house...
astro

Post by astro »

For those who want a Fender PJ mustang bass, Best Buy Canada has the sonic blue model for $575 Canadian dollars.

That's about $434 US dollars, or $35 more than the Squier Mustang Bass.

I have no idea if Best Buy Canada ships to other countries though, so this might only be available to Canadians.

Here's the LANK
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

singlepup wrote:LOL I bit the bullet on the Torino Red Bronco Bass instead. Should be here Monday. Have gigs the following Saturday and Wednesday. Dare I play out with the stock pup or stick with my McCartney thing?
The stock pickup isn't terrible, but with just one strat sized pickup it's easy enough to just drop a cool/hot rails pickup in it. Did you buy new or used?

I don't think I could ever justify selling my Bronco bass, I'd only get what I paid for it (about $75), and it definitely has more in value to me.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Nick wrote:
singlepup wrote:LOL I bit the bullet on the Torino Red Bronco Bass instead. Should be here Monday. Have gigs the following Saturday and Wednesday. Dare I play out with the stock pup or stick with my McCartney thing?
The stock pickup isn't terrible, but with just one strat sized pickup it's easy enough to just drop a cool/hot rails pickup in it. Did you buy new or used?

I don't think I could ever justify selling my Bronco bass, I'd only get what I paid for it (about $75), and it definitely has more in value to me.
I got it used, but it wasn't too cheap. All Squier prices just went up. They're trying to sell the Bronco new for $199 now lol. Still, glad I got it used.

I played one in a store before I bought it (unplugged), so I know I'm gonna love the neck :)

And yeah, I'll mess with the stock pup for a bit... but will prolly go cool rail eventually. I have a flurry of gigs coming up, so I gotta get used to the Bronco before playing it out. I think my band really benefits from a thick humbucker bass sound too. That's why the violin bass has been so good in this project. But I may end up liking the Bronco a bit more... it's more my style!
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

I used the Bronco at rehearsal last Thursday and it was awesome. Doesn't have the same low end thump that I'm used to, so I started playing some parts an octave up a la Peter Hook. Works really well. Played out on Saturday night using the Bronco exclusively. Absolutely cut through the mix and "drove the band." No mud or other unwanted elements clogging up the mix. Could hear both the bass and the vocals perfectly, which has been a problem in the past. Used it with a Rumble 500 v3 dialed in very precisely. Also had 2 "always on" pedals--the Keeley Bass Limiting Amplifier and the Boss BD-2 (secret sauce). I used the Fredric Effects Zombie Klone to push the gain and create wicked bass feedback at appropriate moments. It was an awesome gig. Absolutely in love with the Bronco.

Since I'm now a gigging bassist, I'm toying with the idea of getting the Surf Green Mustang Bass too. One has found its way to my local shop. But is it even worth it? I mean, the Bronco makes me feel like I don't need a second bass. And I prefer Torino Red.

Gratuitous gig photo with Bronco:

dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

awesome, man! please put me on your email list so i know when your band is playing out!
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/sq ... 7000001000

looks like the real deal one (the squier) is finally shipping

the white one is back ordered now but the green one is in. hahaha

how many of these did they fucking make total 3 ?
dots wrote:incesticide
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

LOL well I saw one in San Diego back in Feb, so perhaps they made 4?

Dots, if live gigs are ever a thing again, and my band gets another gig, you'll be the first to know! :)
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

link doesn't work.. although it might be a USA-only thing