Building Mini-Jag: looking for Jagstang-type neck

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

GeSe

Building Mini-Jag: looking for Jagstang-type neck

Post by GeSe »

So basically I decided to try and build my own guitar. It will have wiring and switching like a vintage Jag, but be smaller. Pickups probably from Creamery (might need to buy them before Brexit day), hardware basically Jaguar stuff, might opt for non-chrome control plates to keep the weight down, and because I prefer the non-bling look of Jazzmasters.

I'm looking for a super-skinny 24" neck for this project, preferably 39mm nut width, vintage radius. Any suggestions where to find one such neck? Custom neck companies like Warmoth and Musikraft don't offer what I'm after: Warmoth doesn't even do 7.5" radius on Jaguar necks, let alone a thin nut width, and Musikraft again don't have the nutwidth I'm after. Plus importing stuff from the US will add about 35% in customs. Any other ideas? Does anyone have an old Jagstang neck laying around (not sure it would fit, but it should, in theory)
OutToDrift

Post by OutToDrift »

You can get a new Jaguar neck from AllParts. Specifically I got mine from Stratosphere since AllParts is expensive as hell when you buy from them directly.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

What about the Squier Bullet HH Mustangs? They're very cheap, cheaper than a replacement neck, although the neck is satin finished, you might not like that.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
GeSe

Post by GeSe »

OutToDrift wrote:You can get a new Jaguar neck from AllParts. Specifically I got mine from Stratosphere since AllParts is expensive as hell when you buy from them directly.
I can also look at Reverb, Ebay, etc. What prevents me from buying one at the moment is that the general Jag necks are too chunky and wide for my liking. I'm looking for something somewhat smaller. I also prefer a 7.5" radius, btw.
GeSe

Post by GeSe »

Fakir Mustache wrote:What about the Squier Bullet HH Mustangs? They're very cheap, cheaper than a replacement neck, although the neck is satin finished, you might not like that.
I find the Squier necks to be more chunky than Fender necks. Plus they'd need a proper fret job (at least the few I'd tried) and I hate the sating finish. Oh yes, and 7.5" radius. I've also looked at various replacement neck producers, but none combines narrow nut width, skinny, vintage radius. :cry: Being small with small fingers sucks. Of course I can play chunkier, but it's not as comfy as I prefer.
OutToDrift

Post by OutToDrift »

GeSe wrote:
OutToDrift wrote:You can get a new Jaguar neck from AllParts. Specifically I got mine from Stratosphere since AllParts is expensive as hell when you buy from them directly.
I can also look at Reverb, Ebay, etc. What prevents me from buying one at the moment is that the general Jag necks are too chunky and wide for my liking. I'm looking for something somewhat smaller. I also prefer a 7.5" radius, btw.

Smaller? Thank a Jaguar/Jag-stang/Mustang neck? How tiny are your hands? Also I don't think I've ever heard or read about a 7.5 radius. Just 7.25.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

http://www.guitarbuild.co.uk/collections/custom-guitar-necks/products/24-scale-guitar-neck-1
It's a weird site, you have to press that square next to the "VIEW NECK OPTIONS?".
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
GeSe

Post by GeSe »

OutToDrift wrote:
GeSe wrote:

Smaller? Thank a Jaguar/Jag-stang/Mustang neck? How tiny are your hands? Also I don't think I've ever heard or read about a 7.5 radius. Just 7.25.
Right, 7.25. Typo. The Jag-Stangs I tried felt much more comfy that current Jags and Mustangs to me. I didn't measure the necks but have the feeling that the nut width is a bit shorter and the circumference a bit smaller. Not supersmall hands, mind. Small kids play with much thicker necks. Joint problems basically. So why go uncomfy if comfy exists, if not readily available.