Surf-green RI Mustang? Also, tot pickguard colours

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

GeSe

Surf-green RI Mustang? Also, tot pickguard colours

Post by GeSe »

Were there ever any surf-green Japanese Mustang made in the late '90s? My guess is it's a faded sonic blue but unless the photos I'm seeing are massively photoshopped I can't really see how such an odd fade would work.

Also, what's the deal with brown and red tort pickguards on pre-2000 Japanese Mustangs? Do those guitars differ in any way? I'm not talking about T-serials that could be both from around 1994/5 and 2007/10 but serials that were likely not recycled later on with the same MiJ/CiJ decal.
Last edited by GeSe on Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Blue Jag-Stangs are green. I think it’s an incandescent/fluorescent lighting thing.

I’d bet there were surf green Jags for the Japanese market that made their way across a few ponds.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
GeSe

Post by GeSe »

Yeah, you might be right there that it might have existed, or might be a combination of light, computer settings and aging.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

They had Squier Musicmasters from that period, made in China and with a 24.75" scale.
Pic from the net. They had a matching headstock, and were also available in pink or black.

I think robroe had one in surf green like that. (edit: or maybe they were really yellowed blue)
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

I had one. Didnt like it. Mez had a pink one and played it for 20 years. So....mixed bag on the Vista MM.

they came in both sonic blue and surf green, but the sonic blue on mine turned that exact shade of green in the photo after only about 5 years. I would love to know what clear coat was used on it because it was highly reactive to light. Under the hood it's as blue as the day it was opened out the box
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

The white color variations for Japan built mustang's made for the US market are as follows.

1990s. Olympic white with red tort guard
2000s. Vintage white with brown tort guard.

Now days you see them on the used market with repro pickguards confusing the situation a little bit. Also fender went from stamping the guitar with MADE IN JAPAN to CRAFTED IN JAPAN then back to MADE IN JAPAN. People try to sell newer stuff as it's really old and RIP you off all the time
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

And as far as surf green mustang's, they have been available to order from GAKKI and other big Japan mail order websites right along now since the internet started...so like 1998ish?

If you were willing to spend the extra 100 bucks for shipping you could get your own MGxx guitar in pretty much any color you wanted.
GeSe

Post by GeSe »

robroe wrote:The white color variations for Japan built mustang's made for the US market are as follows.

Now days you see them on the used market with repro pickguards confusing the situation a little bit. Also fender went from stamping the guitar with MADE IN JAPAN to CRAFTED IN JAPAN then back to MADE IN JAPAN. People try to sell newer stuff as it's really old and RIP you off all the time
Yep, I see a lot of newer guitars sold off as something older. But I also see Mustangs with serials that were not recycled, both C/MiJ that seem to be from the mid-/later 90s that have a brown tort pickguard. Do you think those are replaced, something produced for the Japanese market, or something dodgy going on?
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

GeSe wrote:
robroe wrote:The white color variations for Japan built mustang's made for the US market are as follows.

Yep, I see a lot of newer guitars sold off as something older. But I also see Mustangs with serials that were not recycled, both C/MiJ that seem to be from the mid-/later 90s that have a brown tort pickguard. Do you think those are replaced, something produced for the Japanese market, or something dodgy going on?
I guess we need to start with how you know the serial numbers weren't recycled, knowing that Fender has a 70 year history of messing up the dates on everything. Using date stamped parts from previous years in newer models all the way back to the 60s. Date stamped necks from 64 were used on guitatlrs all the way up thru July of 65. Use this historical data and then apply it to the mustang's you are shopping made in a different factory, in a different decade. There is no way they didnt recycle serial numbers. The only way to tell a 1990s classic series mustang from a newer one is that they came in 2 colors Olympic white and Sonic blue, both with Red tort guards. People will try and sell the MG65 model with its slab body and white plastic tuners saying its 20 years old because it has a #T SN and made in Japan stamp. They are trying to rip ya off too
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

I'll go take a photo of one of my 1990s Fender Frontline catalogs. Hold on.

just dug out all my shit in the basement and all i have left is 2001-up.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

also during this time period Fender Mexico was making the Fender Cyclone in Surf Green and importing it to Japan only. This color never made it to the US

here we got Orange, Yellow, Black, White and 3ts

Obviously it looks better than any of the crap they shipped us to buy

Image[/img]
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

http://www.ebay.com/p/Fender-Erekigita ... 378&chn=ps

I think this is the guitar you seek. 700 bucks. (plus that extra 100 shipping i mentioned....I gotta give it to shipping companies though....its the same $100 that they were charging us for importing one off guitars 20 years ago)

Last edited by robroe on Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

that EBAY guitar i just posted looks FUCKING SICK by the way. its not a 69RI though like its listed. its a 65RI.

Slab body + White plastic trapezoid tuners = 65RI.

I swear its like no one knows what the fuck is going on selling these guitars. I cant imagine being a vintage used car dealer and having to dig thru listings of old cars with all the model options completely wrong all the time.

-------------------------------

EDIT after 5 minutes of extra research this appears not to be a mg69 or a mg65 its a completely new model called a "traditional 60's" hahahahahahaah jesus. who knows what the neck profile on this one feels like. who wants to be the guinea pig and order one to try it out?
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

after 5 more minutes of research it appears that CME has already imported it for you and you can just like buy it off the shelf in Chicago

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/li ... n/19616303

SPEKS indicate that its a rebadged MG65
► Show Spoiler
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

So this new mustang also comes in Artic White /red tort which is going to get you a lot closer to what was on the shelf in 1995 with the olympic white / red tort

the vintage white (buttercream yellow) / brown tort ones from the 2000's didn't pop at all like these do.

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/li ... e/19612091

this one is hot shit.

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

i have sn00ped the official fender page for this guitar. even though it appears its not a real thing....yet.

http://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric- ... 00380.html
GeSe

Post by GeSe »

Ugh, was stuck in an endless meeting. Time to catch up here.
robroe wrote: I guess we need to start with how you know the serial numbers weren't recycled, knowing that Fender has a 70 year history of messing up the dates on everything. Using date stamped parts from previous years in newer models all the way back to the 60s. Date stamped necks from 64 were used on guitatlrs all the way up thru July of 65. Use this historical data and then apply it to the mustang's you are shopping made in a different factory, in a different decade. There is no way they didnt recycle serial numbers. The only way to tell a 1990s classic series mustang from a newer one is that they came in 2 colors Olympic white and Sonic blue, both with Red tort guards. People will try and sell the MG65 model with its slab body and white plastic tuners saying its 20 years old because it has a #T SN and made in Japan stamp. They are trying to rip ya off too
True, serial numbers get recycled. Fender has this overview: http://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/art ... ufactured-
And the T serial named by you could be both from 1994-1995 (MiJ), 2007-2008 (CiJ) and 2007-2010 (MiJ).

But if we look at O serials (quite a few out there), they could only be from 1993-1994 (MiJ) and 1997-2000 (CiJ) if Fender's own list is half correct.
...oh great, this is the 'presentation of proof' effect.. the past few days I saw quite a few aged white 69 Mustangs on Rinkja with an O-Serial and a brown tort pickguitard and now they are gone. :roll:
This one might be ok: http://www.rinkya.com/en/auction-d3307 ... ollar=part
Here I do have questions (and it looks like it comes straight from an ashtray): http://reverb.com/nl/item/19564829-fen ... surf-green
robroe wrote:also during this time period Fender Mexico was making the Fender Cyclone in Surf Green and importing it to Japan only. This color never made it to the US

here we got Orange, Yellow, Black, White and 3ts

Obviously it looks better than any of the crap they shipped us to buy

Image[/img]
Lovely! And yeah, I agree with the crap we get nowadays. I also don't feel all warm and fuzzy when I see them.
robroe wrote:http://www.ebay.com/p/Fender-Erekigita ... 378&chn=ps

I think this is the guitar you seek. 700 bucks. (plus that extra 100 shipping i mentioned....I gotta give it to shipping companies though....its the same $100 that they were charging us for importing one off guitars 20 years ago)

Yeah, they've been popping up in Europe on Ebay as well. Obviously for a higher price, but then shipping is lower and there's none of the ridiculous 35% inport duty this country charges you. And there's no problem with the rosewood as it's already within the EU. /rant
But yes, it's a '65. And it's very new.
robroe wrote:So this new mustang also comes in Artic White /red tort which is going to get you a lot closer to what was on the shelf in 1995 with the olympic white / red tort

the vintage white (buttercream yellow) / brown tort ones from the 2000's didn't pop at all like these do.

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/li ... e/19612091

this one is hot shit.

This one looks really nice though! Not sure about the neck (I love skinny, hence my interest in 90s Mustangs), but I'm currently not in a hurry as I got myself a very cheap (for continental Europe) very nice 90s MiM Duo Sonic today ((hellyeah)) Only downside is that shops are closed today and I can't get new strings and so far only heard it over a crappy tiny Danelectro portable, untuned and with one string missing :roll: But it's my first shortscale, and it was love on first touch :lol: