Mustang Reissue neck dimensions

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

You might also want to wait for the new Squier Classic Vibe Mustang, it has different pickups, body wood and bridge, so possibly the neck shape/thickness could be different as well.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
GeSe

Post by GeSe »

Fakir Mustache wrote:You might also want to wait for the new Squier Classic Vibe Mustang, it has different pickups, body wood and bridge, so possibly the neck shape/thickness could be different as well.
Oh, sexy guitar, the Jag HH!
The new CV Mustang is listed with a nut width of 42mm, thus the fingerboard is probably in line with modern Fender Mustangs. The few reviews I've seen so far suggest it's not a great guitar, but lets wait for more reviews.
GeSe

Post by GeSe »

gusman2x wrote:
GeSe wrote:
gusman2x wrote:I have a KC, so I can check for you tonight (or tomorrow If that's OK).

I remember when I bought it, it felt a little "bigger" overall than the '65RI I tried in the shop, but not as big as the RI MIJ Jaguar I have. To be fair it find of feels like a modern C shape.

What's the most important measurement for you, the nut width, or the thickness at multiple frets? I can check whatever measurements you want, and you can then check against your other guitars. I'll be doing mm though, even though we're leaving Europe.
Thanks, that's very kind of you :)

Nut width, and as I don't have calipers I would say circumference at the first and 12th fret dot inlay.
No prob. If you haven't heard from me within 24 hrs, shoot me a PM so I get an email.
Thanks again, will do. And yes, mm is fine. I'd not know what to do with other measurements other than send them through a converter ;)
GeSe

Post by GeSe »

If the KC mustang has the measurements I'm after would you chose this one over a '73/'69 reissue?

I've also been eying a marvellous '73 in capri orange for a while and keep on coming back to it. Being into alternative music (not high gain, but bit of a dirty sound. Not Nirvana, btw), the humbucker in the KC might be nice to have. On the other hand, I also love twangy 60s surf and garage. And lots inbetween. If I feel like it I could always exchange pubs of course, but building a humbucker into a normal Mustang might be a bit too much work, and I lack a workshop in my tiny inner-city flat :lol:
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

....looking at your musical tone leanings I would recommend

Seymour Duncan SJAG1 in the neck and SJAG3 in the bridge.

They are jaguar pickups. 1 is based on a classic jaguar sound and the 3 is over wound with big pole pieces for thick overdrive toans

You can buy them as a matched set so when you have them turned on they will hum cancel each other using 2 single coils
GeSe

Post by GeSe »

robroe wrote:....looking at your musical tone leanings I would recommend

Seymour Duncan SJAG1 in the neck and SJAG3 in the bridge.

They are jaguar pickups. 1 is based on a classic jaguar sound and the 3 is over wound with big pole pieces for thick overdrive toans

You can buy them as a matched set so when you have them turned on they will hum cancel each other using 2 single coils
Oh wow, that sounds interesting! So I'd not necessarily need a humbucker for the more dirty, overdriven sound but could still have a bit of twang. I love this idea and feel the orange Mustang is inching closer even if this isn't the cheapest of all solutions :). How do those pickups compare in either neck or bridge position to the standard pubs?
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Hey the KC neck dims are:

Circumference at 1st - 108mm

Circumference at 12th - 130mm exact

Nut width - 41.55mm

I find it to be more of a modern C as opposed to a skinny neck. But my idea of skinny is Ibanez wizard. I’m sure my old avri 62 strat neck was skinnier though?
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

gusman2x wrote:Hey the KC neck dims are:

Nut width - 41.55mm

I find it to be more of a modern C as opposed to a skinny neck. But my idea of skinny is Ibanez wizard. I’m sure my old avri 62 strat neck was skinnier though?
I can't get on with wizard necks, they're skinny but dig in on my hand due to the flat shallow profile.

The 65RI is my favourite Mustang neck, got one on my Duo Sonic. Can't say as I've played a lot of the newer models though.
GeSe

Post by GeSe »

gusman2x wrote:Hey the KC neck dims are:

Nut width - 41.55mm

Thanks a lot :) That's super precise! And a shame as my other (only) guitar has similar measurements, which is too chunky for me. Such a shame. Back to the drawing board I guess.

I've looked at Ibanez, but they embody everything that I don't like in guitars (sorry to Ibanez fans). Also think that Strats look boring and the cutout is positioned such that it's not well balanced when you play sitting, which I usually do as I don't have a band. And why stand when you might as well sit :lol: . Same is true for the current run of Duo-Sonics, btw.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Probably time to get a neck built to your specification.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

When you think about it, us older guys were lucky in some respects, we bought shitloads of guitars and tried tons of necks and pickups before all the prices got hiked up.

There's much more choice now but the cost of trying things is high.

On the subject of pickups I'll echo Robroe on the Seymour Duncan SJAG pickups. They are warm and handle most guitar styles, I've got some in my Duo.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

As far as what they sound like compared to the org mustang pickups....

The neck sjag1 makes your mustang sounds like a jaguar. I dont know how they do it but it does it. Think mid on 10 and treble on 6

The 3 in the bridge gives you more bass and volume. So like bass on 10 mid on 6. Then when you turn them both together they balance each other out really well
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Just read your PM. (Sorry it took me a while, our alert system sucks)

You might want to try a 22.7 or 22.5 90's duo sonic.

I can get you some photos of what I'm talking about when I get home from work tonight
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

day late a dollar short.

here's some photos

it took some time and work to get it to look that good. out the box they look like this.

they came in white black or red
GeSe

Post by GeSe »

Thanks a lot. Looks interesting.

Though I finally made up my mind on what I'm looking for: a guitar a girl will have fun with. Meaning it's not ready and perfect but requires some work, rubbish bridge that might not stay in tune but looks so cool, part replacement, maybe finally a reason to buy a welding kit and other tools. Basically a guitar that will hopefully grow and change over time :lol:

It might be a bit of an anticlimax, but based on what people, and especially robroe wrote in the past on different necks I'll try to find a Japanese '69 Mustang from before 2000 (I'll see what colour shows up if one does at all) or an early Jagstang (Has to be red, and weight has to be right). If one of them should show up then I might maybe consider a Pawn Shop Mustang, but I've never actually seen any in the wild. I think the Jagstang excites me most for some reason, maybe because there are a few of those out there, but mostly the blue ones.