Telecaster Bridge PUP Ground Fix Needed

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

JamesSmann

Telecaster Bridge PUP Ground Fix Needed

Post by JamesSmann »

Fam,

Just got a new American Tele. And I fucking love it. But it has a GNARLY buzz that I'm pretty sure is a grounding issue because it's worst on the bridge pickup setting, and when I touch the control plate especially it goes away, but really any metal.
Except the bridge.

Help me! I don't wanna return the damn thing and fuck with all that shipping and shit, but I have no idea how easy it'd be for them to phone in a warranty repair out here. lol

Anyway...suggestions, tips, yeah?
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Sounds like bridge isn't grounded....first check the control plate, easy enough to remove and see if there's a wire going to the bridge. If the ground came loose from the back of the pot, that's probably your easiest fix, just resolder and good to go. If it is connected to the pot, you might have to take off the bridge and make sure the wire's making enough contact with the bridge plate underneath.
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

Nick wrote:Sounds like bridge isn't grounded....first check the control plate, easy enough to remove and see if there's a wire going to the bridge. If the ground came loose from the back of the pot, that's probably your easiest fix, just resolder and good to go. If it is connected to the pot, you might have to take off the bridge and make sure the wire's making enough contact with the bridge plate underneath.
Yeah, this is my feeling, too. It goes completely away if I just touch the control plate, but yeah when I took it off, it appeared that everything looked okay to me. It's the design that grounds it to the cavity underneath by soldering it to a little clip that's screwed into the body.

I was just honestly trying to avoid having to take the bridge off, out sheer laziness, lol, but I'm gonna follow your advice and check it next anyway, because it has to be something easily fixed since it resolves itself when it's fully grounded. lol

Thanks for the tips dude! I will definitely be putting them into action.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Not only does the wire gotta be under the bridge but you gotta scrape the chrome bullshit off and tape the wire to the scrapey part you made is. Chrome dont getcha home with grounding brother
dots wrote:incesticide
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I knew a guy who built a partscaster tele and forgot the bridge ground, so he just connected a small wire between the bridge plate and control plate. It worked but for aesthetics I think it was only a short term solution.
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

Nick wrote:I knew a guy who built a partscaster tele and forgot the bridge ground, so he just connected a small wire between the bridge plate and control plate. It worked but for aesthetics I think it was only a short term solution.
Did he just wrap it around one of the bridge screws or something? I wonder if it'd work if I routed it through the same cavity the PUP wires go through, but basically write the bridge plate to the control plate the same way, but through the cavity...hmmm...worth a try prolly.
brainfur

Re: Telecaster Bridge PUP Ground Fix Needed

Post by brainfur »

JamesSmann wrote:Fam,

Just got a new American Tele. And I fucking love it. But it has a GNARLY buzz that I'm pretty sure is a grounding issue because it's worst on the bridge pickup setting, and when I touch the control plate especially it goes away, but really any metal.
Except the bridge.

Help me! I don't wanna return the damn thing and fuck with all that shipping and shit, but I have no idea how easy it'd be for them to phone in a warranty repair out here. lol

if u bought it new from a shop just bring it back and tell them to fix the issue! even Guitar Center is really good about doing small repairs on new guitars because they want to make sure you dont return it!
George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
JamesSmann

Re: Telecaster Bridge PUP Ground Fix Needed

Post by JamesSmann »

brainfur wrote:
JamesSmann wrote:Fam,

Except the bridge.

if u bought it new from a shop just bring it back and tell them to fix the issue! even Guitar Center is really good about doing small repairs on new guitars because they want to make sure you dont return it!
Yeah, the only issue is that I bought through AMS and they'll do a return with it for sure, I just don't wanna be w/o the guitar in the meantime. If they'll ship the new one first and let me send this one back that'll be awesome.

Trust me, if that's the route I've gotta go, I'll go that way, I just hate going through the hassle of returning something for a simple grounding issue.
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

Oh well in that case, a telecaster is the easiest guitar to take apart and put together!
George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

JamesSmann wrote:
Nick wrote:I knew a guy who built a partscaster tele and forgot the bridge ground, so he just connected a small wire between the bridge plate and control plate. It worked but for aesthetics I think it was only a short term solution.
Did he just wrap it around one of the bridge screws or something?
that sounds right come to think of it, this was 12 years ago, but it makes sense since the whole goal was not removing the bridge.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Nick wrote:
JamesSmann wrote:
that sounds right come to think of it, this was 12 years ago, but it makes sense since the whole goal was not removing the bridge.
y'all remember the same feature on my pink Duo Sonic I bought to Fla.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Good god, I loved that guitar
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

it looked and played way better than my bucket
dots wrote:incesticide
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

:lol:
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

Nick wrote:
JamesSmann wrote:
So what I basically ended up doing was a temp fix (for now) was just run a wire and wrap it around the same screw that they used for the first ground, and then I fed it into the pickup cavity, stripped the end of it, and basically let the metal bottom of the pickup in the bridge plate ground the wire. It was a trick I read about on another board and wanted to try because I'm absolute SHIT with a soldering iron anyway.

It worked,but it's still not the permanent fix since it makes some noise if the wire inside gets jostled too much. For that I think I'm gonna do your friend's trick. that seems like it would do the exact same trick, but be better since the plates are screwed into the wood, and the pickup isn't.