NAD - Found a nice Pathfinder 15R

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

luciguci

NAD - Found a nice Pathfinder 15R

Post by luciguci »

$130 shipped, came with a dust cover with a little white paint stain, also on the corner of the amp. The reverb wasn't working right when I got it, the input from the guitar seemslike it was running through the amp just fine but not through the reverb, but the reverb was outputting just fine, as I could hear it when the amp was jostled. So, I popped open the back and plugged the loose wires i saw back in their respective place and voila, the reverb was alive again.

Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆ (she/they)
plaidbeer

Post by plaidbeer »

Congrats on the Pathfinder. It was my first guitar amp and I still have it.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I keep eyeing these small Vox SS combos; my BASE TONE for playing at home is pretty much always a Joyo ACTone running into a little modelling Zoom amp with all the modelling bypassed.

This makes so much more sense, and looks ace. Might be time to keep an eye on Facebook Marketplace and Gumtree..
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Nice. Great little amps.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

Played around a bit more with the amp, and a lot louder too since it's no longer after dark and god DAMN I love this amp, I'm really glad I got it. I'd been getting kinda bored by pedals for a little bit, and wanted a nice amp that had at least a built in tremolo and reverb (because i'll never get tired of those two) and remembered the Pathfinder. God damn. I'm actually playing again, and I can't stop cranking the amp and playing garage rock riffs either, it sounds fantastic. Perfect choice too, I'd wanted to record a haunted garage rock cover EP for Halloween but didnt get up to it, but now that I've got this amp, it'll be nearly all I need. I'll probably get to work on that sometime next week, and spend the rest of the year working on it.
Doog wrote:Might be time to keep an eye on Facebook Marketplace and Gumtree..
It took me a while to find one that wasn't a Pathfinder 10, it's like everyone who has one knows how good they are and don't wanna get rid of them. I'd say check in every week until you find one.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Don't know why they discontinued the 15R tbh. Seems to be much more highly regarded than the 10.

They also did a head/2x10 cab version:

The 15R is supposed to sound great through a 12" cab as well if you have one.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Lol, I cooked the mains transformer on my Zoom by trying to wire a speaker output (nb: always check how to wire a stereo jack), so I might be looking into one of these sooner rather than later..
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Vox tone ftw, nice pull!
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

BearBoy wrote:Don't know why they discontinued the 15R tbh. Seems to be much more highly regarded than the 10.

They also did a head/2x10 cab version:

The 15R is supposed to sound great through a 12" cab as well if you have one.
There was also a 4x8" version.

Were the head/cab configurations available in Europe? I've never seen one.
NickD wrote: ↑Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: ↑Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Fakir Mustache wrote:There was also a 4x8" version.

Were the head/cab configurations available in Europe? I've never seen one.
According to The Vox Showroom site, the 4x8 version was a Guitar Center exclusive in the US. I don't recall seeing one over here. I'm pretty sure I saw one of the 2x10" versions on UK eBay once but it may well have originated from the US. They're certainly not common over here.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

I decided to play around with a couple of other amps I have with 10 inch speakers; an old dusty Fender Frontman 25R that's been in my closet for years because it was broken as fuck and the icepickiest amp I've ever heard in my life, and a Kustom Defender 15 combo. I plugged the ext cab output from the Pathfinder into both of those cabinets to see how they would sound and it was interesting to see how the tone changed. Despite the fact that the Kustom aws meant to evoke either a Fender combo or Vox combo with the bass response knob, it still made the Vox sound very warm, and the Frontman speaker made it sound more Fender-ish. Despite all this, the stock speaker still sounds best IMO, I don't think I'll do anything to modify it. Maybe, just maybe someday further down the line, when I have the money to try it out, I'll find a nice British-voiced 8 inch speaker to pop in, since the stock speaker cone seems to want to buzz at certain notes, which gets kind of annoying. Hopefully it goes away on its own though. Maybe I'll remove the clipping diodes, see how I like that.

Sidenote: during all that experimentation, I also found that the cheap Fender Frontman speaker made my Kustom The Contender amp sound even better, so I'm glad I've kept it around all these years, because now I'm sure I'm going to rehouse the Contender into the Frontman cab when I've got the tools and space and time for it. It'd be nice to have just those two around for stereo fun.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I really like these amps. My friend used to have one as his kick around amp for when guitarists came to jam or record at his apartment. They can get pretty loud too, I used it for a fair few gigs.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

I keep on forgetting that this is a solid state amp because it sounds so damn good. I can't believe I haven't got one of these ages ago.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Snap!

Helluva schlep to Greenwich to pick it up (Best Offer on eBay, 75 quid), but totally worth it. The reverb is v weak, but it seems super loud and has a surprising amount of gain on tap.

Only played briefly as it's late, the Joyo ACTone still has a nicer driven sound, but I love this as a simple clean platform that looks aaaaaaace
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Looks sexy. Congrats!

I bought a Fender Frontman 15G that is a surprisingly well built and good sounding amp. Also loud for its size. Clean channel is a little bit ice picky clean, but I've read that swapping the stock speaker to anything else makes wonders. Dirt channel is more distortion like, I read that it has Marshal Guvnor pedal's circuit and I'd like something less distorted.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Doog wrote:Lol, I cooked the mains transformer on my Zoom by trying to wire a speaker output (nb: always check how to wire a stereo jack), so I might be looking into one of these sooner rather than later..
What Zoom? And you cooked the *mains* transformer? PM me if you like.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Doog wrote: The reverb is v weak
I bet there's a mod for that.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

NickS wrote:
Doog wrote:Lol, I cooked the mains transformer on my Zoom by trying to wire a speaker output (nb: always check how to wire a stereo jack), so I might be looking into one of these sooner rather than later..
What Zoom? And you cooked the *mains* transformer? PM me if you like.
Haha very gracious but I've totally destroyed it since (turned it into a standalone little cab).. t'was a Zoom Fire 15.
NickS wrote:
Doog wrote: The reverb is v weak
I bet there's a mod for that.
I'll give all of the pots and reverb tank leads a clean when I'm back in London after Xmarse, it may just be the tank itself.