NPD: And it's boring AF!!

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

plaidbeer

NPD: And it's boring AF!!

Post by plaidbeer »

Discussion of overdrives immediately leads one to think of TGP, but I actually really like them and prefer them to most other dirt pedals as my Pathfinder sounds best clean and I still haven't found that "one fuzz." Anywho, I already have an OD-3 and a Mini Fuck which I love, but have been reading about a lot of praise for the Boss Blooz Driver. So I picked one up for around $60. Surprisingly versatile and I think I like it more than my OD-3 although I need to do a side-by-side comparison. It kinda fattens things up a little when using my Jag and when the gain is cranked almost sounds like a fuzz. It's a keeper.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

oh shit, i've been thinking about getting a blues driver for a while, the more and more i read about it it sounds like the pedal im looking for
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

IRRC Joyo Sweet Baby is a clone of Boss Blues Driver. Well actually it's a clone of Mad Professor Sweet Honey which is a clone of Boss Blues Driver(only twice more expensive)
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

There's also a Valeton copy, it's smaller than a Boss.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Like the blues driver but prefer the SD-1.
XY
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

It's one of the Boss pedals I've never tried.

Whenever I've seen someone in a band using one they always had a good sound. One of the many guitarists in The Fall used one and their sound around that time was good.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

i still have the behringer clone that hurb got for free, i don't think i've ever used it on a guitar though.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Makes you sound like Noel Gallagher...
XY
plaidbeer

Post by plaidbeer »

dezb1 wrote:Like the blues driver but prefer the SD-1.
Thinking about actually picking one up. They're super cheap used and still affordable new. Never had one or any tubescreamer variant. Reckon it'll sound good with single coils (Jag/Tele/Strat) and Vox Pathfinder?
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

plaidbeer wrote:
dezb1 wrote:Like the blues driver but prefer the SD-1.
Thinking about actually picking one up. They're super cheap used and still affordable new. Never had one or any tubescreamer variant. Reckon it'll sound good with single coils (Jag/Tele/Strat) and Vox Pathfinder?
It's mainly a Tele I use mine with.
XY
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

I use mine with a Squier Jazzmaster and it sounds great
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

I still use a SD-1 as well, to be fair though I think the eq is better on the Digitech Bad Monkey.
George

Post by George »

Have had OD3, Blue Driver and SD1

Liked the first two a lot. Probably OD3 edges it. So cheap these days as well.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Anyone tried the Digitech Screamin' Blues?

I'm sure that was based on the Blues Driver.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Fran wrote:I still use a SD-1 as well, to be fair though I think the eq is better on the Digitech Bad Monkey.
Was eyeing up a bad monkey for ages but in a fit of uncharacteristic sense thought the SD-1 made the noise I liked so why spend more cash... bad monkey demos sounded great though.
XY
plaidbeer

Post by plaidbeer »

Did a couple of side-by-side comparisons between the BD-2 and OD-3 today using the Strat and Tele going into the Pathfinder. Granted, I have to play through headphones 99% right now and I have only about 60% of my hearing left in my right ear, so it might have an effect on how I hear things.

Anyway, whenever both settings were similar on both pedals, the BD-2 sounded crisper/brighter whereas the OD-3 sounded darker/muddy. Hadn't really noticed that in the past when I just had the OD-3. However, you can overcome that on the OD-3 if you crank the tone knob. I know it's contrary to a lot of opinions I've read re: favoring the OD-3 over the BD-2, but I think I like the BD-2 a bit more although I'll still keep the OD-3 around because I still like it, I'm a senseless pedal hoarder, and have become a bit of a Boss fanboy again as of late.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

I've got a Jackhammer I got off Doog. It's okay, probably would be better on bass.

I'm really fucking drunk but if you're being weird about both pedals and got money. Get a Boss OD-2R.

It's what the BD-2 is based off in Turbo mode. But sounds way better. And lots of volume (I think).
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

Fran wrote:Anyone tried the Digitech Screamin' Blues?

iirc i was reading around about the blues driver and the screamin blues and the digitech pedal is literally a part for part clone of the boss, but with a potentiometer instead of a resistor for the bass control
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
paul_

Post by paul_ »

daftsupernova wrote:
Fran wrote:Anyone tried the Digitech Screamin' Blues?

iirc i was reading around about the blues driver and the screamin blues and the digitech pedal is literally a part for part clone of the boss, but with a potentiometer instead of a resistor for the bass control
Yep, cheaper Blues Driver with a bass knob. Also it was previously one of the old DOD compacts, FX102 Mystic Blues (conceivably found even cheaper)
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
DiAmoroso

Post by DiAmoroso »

I'm really liking the TC Electronics MojoMojo I recently picked up. I'm using my Jag thru it into a Twin Reverb Reissue (a bit modded). Thru the Twin I use it with the drive low, to give me just a little bit of grit. Sounds like light real tube OD, then when I want more gain I kick on a DS-1. The MojoMojo makes the DS1 sound really good, a lot more like real tube gain. It's also very flexible when dialing in the tone. For $50 brand new I think it's unbeatable for me.