Re-Introduction and Am Pro Jaguar

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

DiAmoroso

Re-Introduction and Am Pro Jaguar

Post by DiAmoroso »

Some of you may remember me from the past, but it's been a really long time, possibly over a decade since I last posted. I was a member of ShortScale.org before, as well as on Jag-stang.com back in the day. Some screen names I went by were iluvblackfrancis and blazin420chronicskunk, (young and dumb), but I can't remember what the last one I used was. I see the forum has slowed some, but I've noticed at least Doog, Robroe, ShadowofSeattle, and a few others are still kicking around.

I haven't played short scale or offset guitars in years, but recently picked up an American Professional Jaguar, prompting me to check out what you guys have been up to. So far I love the Am Pro Jag, it was at the local Sam Ash for months and I kept looking at it thinking it looked weird with out the original Jag switches. Eventually I played the guitar and loved it. Nice beefy neck, super punchy, and the controls are much more practical for changing pick ups mid song. In my opinion it doesn't take much away from what a Jaguar is, but improves it as a versatile instrument.

Below I've posted some pictures including my old Bronco and Mustang, really wish I still had that Bronco. Next is my current arsenal, including a Univox Badazz originally purchased from the legendary Yun. Some may remember it came to me in ridiculously awful shape, but it's been restored into an extremely unique and fun guitar.

paul_

Post by paul_ »

Love that salmon Univox
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
DiAmoroso

Post by DiAmoroso »

Thanks man, that's a guitar I'll never let go. The color was supposed to be much more pink, but either way I think it turned out nice. It's a P90 in the neck and humbucker in the bridge, and has been a flexible and reliable stage guitar for years.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Welcome back!

Pro jag questions. Every photo I have seen of it the high E is hanging off the fretboard at the heel. On yours it looks fine, but the fuckin low E is almost there on the other end.

What is up with the bridge spacing on this thing making these photos look so insane
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

i was gonna talk some shit on how ITT rob doesnt understand camera angles but no he's right, it looks like the spacing of the bridge is too wide for the nut/neck width, in both pics you can see the low E creeping closer to the edge of the fretboard as it gets closer to the bridge. Same with the high E a little bit but being a thinner gauge string, its less noticeable
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

daftsupernova wrote:i was gonna talk some shit on how ITT rob doesnt understand camera angles but no he's right, it looks like the spacing of the bridge is too wide for the nut/neck width, in both pics you can see the low E creeping closer to the edge of the fretboard as it gets closer to the bridge. Same with the high E a little bit but being a thinner gauge string, its less noticeable

1 photo is taken from the left and 1 is taken from the right. hahaha comeeeahhhhhnnnnnn
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

High E straight on

High E left

High E right

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

here's one you can save 600 fucking dollars on because it has a tiny chip in it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars ... adType^PLA
DiAmoroso

Post by DiAmoroso »

I have seen a lot of reviews complaining about the string spacing, but I haven't noticed anything weird. The guitar feels as good to me as any I've played, although it did take me some time to find my tone after playing the Univox almost exclusively the past few years. Had to adjust my amp EQ, rearrange my pedal board a bit, and get a new overdrive, but now I'm getting some great sounds that really cut through the band.

Also, that mint guard on the green Jag you posted Robroe looks great, I'm really not a fan of the black guard.
Last edited by DiAmoroso on Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DiAmoroso

Post by DiAmoroso »

Looking at it closer now it definitely visually looks like the strings ride the edge of the fretboard compared to my other guitars. Hasn't negatively effected my playing at all though, and at this point I've probably thrown every technique I've got at it.

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

E-A space is cut smaller then the space between B-E ?

maybe its just an optical illusion from the wider strings
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

i love the maple neck on it though. after playing (beating) the shit out of the squier esquier III i built last year i have fallen back in love with them.

the low estring looks like its riding the heel of the fretboard too on mine. but thats because it is. I freehanded drilling the bridge plate on. you can tell the whole thing is off a tiny bit compared to the pickguard gap up and down.
DiAmoroso

Post by DiAmoroso »

I think it's more the photo angle, I'm finding it difficult to get a perfectly straight shot. Although, it would make sense to me to have more space between the higher strings. Might subtly help with precision, clarity, and such. Just speculation, either way I like the big neck on this more than any other Jags I've played. For anyone interested in the Am Pro Jag, I would say it's not worth worrying about. I'll try to make some sound samples soon.
DiAmoroso

Post by DiAmoroso »

Oh and that Tele is sick. I've always liked your taste in guitars man.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

robroe wrote:
daftsupernova wrote:i was gonna talk some shit on how ITT rob doesnt understand camera angles but no he's right, it looks like the spacing of the bridge is too wide for the nut/neck width, in both pics you can see the low E creeping closer to the edge of the fretboard as it gets closer to the bridge. Same with the high E a little bit but being a thinner gauge string, its less noticeable

1 photo is taken from the left and 1 is taken from the right. hahaha comeeeahhhhhnnnnnn
daftsupernova wrote:i was gonna talk some shit on how ITT rob doesnt understand camera angles but no he's right,
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

DiAmoroso wrote:Oh and that Tele is sick. I've always liked your taste in guitars man.
yeah but how u feeln about him taste in man guitars tho
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
DiAmoroso

Post by DiAmoroso »

hotrodperlmutter wrote:
DiAmoroso wrote:Oh and that Tele is sick. I've always liked your taste in guitars man.
yeah but how u feeln about him taste in man guitars tho
Also good.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

wait.... CARL IS BACK ????
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

BLAZER420WEEDMAN!!

Whatever happened to my old 12 string you got from Aug?
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
DiAmoroso

Post by DiAmoroso »

theshadowofseattle wrote:BLAZER420WEEDMAN!!

Whatever happened to my old 12 string you got from Aug?
Unfortunately that thing is long gone, honestly not even sure what happened to that. I went over to Aug's place once to buy a Bronco from him, and he really wanted me to borrow the 12 string, not sure why. Didn't actually know that was yours. I contacted him about giving it back a few times, but he kept acting like he didn't want it back. Not sure what gave him the idea I wanted it in the first place. Eventually I ended up moving, he contacted me acting all pissed like I was trying to rip him off, and I told him I'd send it back when I could. I never intended to keep the guitar, but I was young, alone, and struggling, the guitar he pushed on to me wasn't a priority. This was circa 2006/2007, I was 19 maybe 20, and I'd certainly handle the situation differently now.

Not sure if you guys are aware, or where Aug is now, but he is a very strange guy. Not necessarily a bad guy, but I do feel like he had some mysterious intentions when he insisted I borrow the 12 string guitar.