NGD. A Jag. Sort of.

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

mkt3000

NGD. A Jag. Sort of.

Post by mkt3000 »

Some people go to Orlando and come home with Mickey Mouse stuff. I go to Orlando, and I troll the local craigslist, offerup, and other similar sites.

This one came from 5smiles at a pawn shop in east Orlando. Jag partscaster (I assume). MIC MP Neck, unknown body, Duncan pickups (JB Bridge, Phat Cat neck), coil split on the bridge, roller bridge, WD Pickguard, and some weird finish that looks like watercolors and pastels on top of primer. They wanted $99.99 for it, I didn't even think of haggling. Swipe my credit card and give me a receipt please!

Should I refinish the body and keep it (shell pink please), or should I sell it for parts? I am undecided, but for now, it's just gonna hang around the house.

PICS:

(texted to me by the salesperson at the pawn shop)

(After buying it)

10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
cooter

Post by cooter »

Really nice score.
I'd probably go with a black refinish myself but shell pink would be cool.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I loved the Phat Cat I had in my Blazer. I can't believe what a bargain you got there. As for the finish I would go to a discount store and just buy the coolest rattlecan color you can find 4 cheap, just to keep to the $100 price point as much as possible.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Nick wrote:I loved the Phat Cat I had in my Blazer. I can't believe what a bargain you got there. As for the finish I would go to a discount store and just buy the coolest rattlecan color you can find 4 cheap, just to keep to the $100 price point as much as possible.
There's a Wal Mart not far from where I'm staying at in Orlando, but I don't have a place to spray here. I'll be back in Miami next week, thinking about doing it there.

If I go shell pink or comparable, I may need to spend money on a tort guard though.

Another option I'm thinking is an oly white, and I'll spray the guard down with a bright white and go white/chrome on the jag.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

One thing though, this needs new strings ASAP. The high E is almost as thick as the G.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
aliendog

Post by aliendog »

what a deal! The neck looks brand new
You and I both know absolutely nothing
paul_

Post by paul_ »

The body looks like possibly one of these

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars ... ric-guitar
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Noisy Cat

Post by Noisy Cat »

Part it out.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

The front looks cool, even though I don't like relics. Back looks terrible.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Man, what a steal. I have that same neck on my partsguar and love it. I say refin and keep it unless you have something similar already.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Congrats! She'll look great in Shell Pink.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Tbh, I'd leave it as it is - you can't get it to look any more unique than it is right now. That blue something looks ok to me
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

That particular finish is known as Fairywangle Blue (though Fender might've called it something different in the '60s just to be whimsical)
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Sweet deal!

The neck alone is worth $99.99.

Looks like a fun project, or just a good quality beater if you're in the right kind of band.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Updates abound. Not major, just updates.

I went out today to George's Music - it's the closest music store to where I'm staying at in Orlando. Picked up new sets of strings, a winder, and a cheapie tuner. Then to a hardware store for a cheap set of metric allen keys.

Finally got the guitar strung and set up. One of the more PITA setups I've had to do, but it's feeling great, and it's extremely resonant.

While I had it apart, I tried to scrape off some of the primer to see what's under it - there's nothing, bare wood. However, the routing is identical to an HH blacktop Jag, and there's marker notes and remnants of some stamped numbers, so I believe it's a real Fender body that was stripped and primered.

As far as color goes, I reached out to a friend of mine who's a fellow car geek. He works as a service manager for one of the largest dealers in Miami, who happens to also own two body shops, and he's gonna try to see if my guitar can be snuck in while they're respraying a car that's a cool color. I'll prep the body (it's already primered, so just some sanding and masking off will be required). And if not possible, I'll deal with it in a few weeks after I get back from my upcoming trip home to PR.

Anyway, here's a pic of it and it's cousin, the modified Squier Vista Jagmaster

10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Was thinking it might be a HH jag body looks too jag like to be a copy.
XY
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

dezb1 wrote:Do an demo. These pictures are worthless. what does it sound like?
THIS^
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Fran wrote:
THIS^
I has no amp in Orlando. Literally, I've been looking for something cheap, but not shitty (like the guitar) to buy while I'm here.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Fran wrote:
THIS^
Indeed... do an fucking demos.... no amp, no excuses
XY
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

dezb1 wrote:
Fran wrote:
THIS^
Indeed... do an fucking demos.... no amp, no excuses
Since I have no amp, it totally sounds just like this

[youtube][/youtube]
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10