Will full size pots fit in MIJ Mustang?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Ricey

Will full size pots fit in MIJ Mustang?

Post by Ricey »

I have an MIJ Cobain Mustang with a Duncan JB bridge and stock MIJ pup in neck position. I would like to swap stock volume and tone pots with dual concentric pots so I can have individual volume and tone controls for each pickup. The JB tends to break up much earlier than the neck pup, which has tons of clean headroom. For clean tones with both pups engaged, I want to be able to ramp the volume control down on the JB to clean it up, while keeping the neck pup on full. I have read that the Cobain Stang has mini pots. Is this because the route in the control cavity is not large enough for full size pots or is it just an MIJ thing? I need to know what size dual concentric pots to buy?
paul_

Post by paul_ »

My Jag-Stang had mini Alphas and I put full sized Alphas in it without issue. As long as the shafts are metric you should be fine. Full sized imperial spec pots like CTS (as used on American Fenders) will require enlarging of the holes in the control plate.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Ricey

Post by Ricey »

Thanks for the advice!
weeping_moon

Post by weeping_moon »

Ricey wrote:Thanks for the advice!

my stangs has a full tone and volume you have to drill and change it