Mustangs with P90s?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Doug

Mustangs with P90s?

Post by Doug »

A friend just got a Fender Mustang RI with P90s and he loves it. I got wondering, any of you have a good estimate of the % of Fender Mustangs with P90s?

Love the one yer playin',
Doug
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

They've been making Mustangs since 1964, I think.

There were two other models with P90s besides the current ones, one was Chinese, the other American with a laminated wood top. There probably weren't that many of either one of those made.

Say 1%?

(actually considering some of the current Mustangs are Duo-Sonic IIs, if you count all the Duo Sonic IIs and Musicmaster IIs, you'd probably get something like 0.something%)
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

Never played one, but I think they just look weird...
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Fakir Mustache wrote:There were two other models with P90s besides the current ones, one was Chinese, the other American with a laminated wood top. There probably weren't that many of either one of those made.
The Chinese ones were part of the Modern Player range:

The American ones were part of the limited edition "10 for 15" releases that came out in 2015:

Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

wasn't this the "board shorts" mustang ? lol
dots wrote:incesticide
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

It was the "Shortboard" mustang.

There was also a "Longboard" strat:

Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Fakir Mustache wrote:They've been making Mustangs since 1964, I think.

There were two other models with P90s besides the current ones, one was Chinese, the other American with a laminated wood top. There probably weren't that many of either one of those made.

Say 1%?

(actually considering some of the current Mustangs are Duo-Sonic IIs, if you count all the Duo Sonic IIs and Musicmaster IIs, you'd probably get something like 0.something%)
Thanks, FM. My Mustang is a '65 and I know for sure there were 0% Mustangs made with P90s. Of the reissue Mustangs, aka "fakir Mustang" (No, I truly respect the RIs most of which have improvements over the vintage Mustangs) I'm just curious that I'd not noticed the P90 models and, as you and Bear Boy suggest, it seems not too many were made...maybe 1% of all RIs?

Other estimates?
Doug
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

BearBoy wrote:It was the "Shortboard" mustang.

There was also a "Longboard" strat:

Which makes a lot of sense, since Mustang bodies are longer, and Strat bodies are shorter (and wider).
GuitarCrazy

I love my Mustang 90

Post by GuitarCrazy »

The Mustang 90 is a awesome sounding guitar.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

I'd hit that
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Same. Could make a Roseland P90 Mustang outta one too
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Noirie. wrote:Same. Could make a Roseland P90 Mustang outta one too
Can you color swap covers on p90s like you can other shit or do you gotta melt that shit off?

You cant roseland with weird black shit around the pickups
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

If it's not a dog-ear P90 (above), you generally can
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
paul_

Post by paul_ »

It's actually just as easy to change most dogear covers. Soapbars and dogears are only different by baseplate.

It's a little known bit of triv that every now and then in the '50s Gibson would run out of dogears and use body-mounted soapbars under dogear covers on Juniors. I've heard that by '61 (when they became SG Jrs) this was actually more common than not, but I don't know if that's really true. Dogears were originally designed for hollowbody mounting while soapbars were the solidbody version, but by the time the DC Juniors came out Gibson had stopped using those black plastic dogears on virtually every other model (even the Specials, which were just 2-pickup Juniors) and probably just wanted to use them all up.

This is more than likely why they went with mounting rings for PAFs upon release... then all the hollows, semi-hollows and solidbodies used the same parts, whereas the cheapest guitar in the catalogue required Alotta Faffin to come work her magic.

Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Doug

Post by Doug »

Thanks, Paul. That's too important and helpful to be called "trivia".

A question for everyone, not meant just for Paul...What makes a Fender a Mustang?

1. It seems to be the shape of the body, and the scale?
2. or is it these two criteria plus also the pickups, bridge, and the switches?

My opinion is that the nominal Mustang has changed so much over the years, it's de facto an altogether different model.
Doug
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

What makes any model what it’s called? I’m being a tad facetious, but not really. There’s so much variation in parts and specs, it really only comes down to maybe body shape, and perhaps scale length (though that one can go out the window a lot). Pickups, bridges, controls, switches, pot values... there’s a lot of model variation in all of them, and none of these really seem to hold.

Look at Strats, or Teles. They come in all kinds of configurations, single humbucker versions, hardtails and vibratos, traditional loadouts, S1 switching, no tone knobs, blade and toggle switches, etc, etc... even full, long or mini scale lengths... but they all get called Strats or Teles, just sharing a (sometimes modified) body shape. Fuckin amorphous.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
paul_

Post by paul_ »

24" scale with that body and vibrato design would be hard to sell as something else. The Jag-Stang is the closest thing to a Mustang to bear a different name, that's pretty much just a Mustang with a different body shape and bridge bucker.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Duo Sonic II

Mustang
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Fakir Mustache wrote:Duo Sonic II
► Show Spoiler
The "hardtail" Mustang is like when Ford was going to redo their Mustang as a shitty front-wheel drive car but got bullied out of it my the mullet-headed Mustang freaks. Fender might as well call that one the "Probe"

(sorry if this doesn't translate at all to the island folk)
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Yes we have cars here too
paul_ wrote:It's actually just as easy to change most dogear covers. Soapbars and dogears are only different by baseplate
Oh dang, I always though they were kinda a one-piece thing.

That's exciting, always kinda wanted a dogear'ed geet.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit