green mustang 119 now

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

green mustang 119 now

Post by robroe »

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/FSR- ... 0051854.gc

here ya go shortscale. best deal on a mustang ever.

if you don't get one you are CRAZY
dots wrote:incesticide
Doug

green mustang $119 USD

Post by Doug »

robroe wrote:http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/FSR- ... 0051854.gc

here ya go shortscale. best deal on a mustang ever.

if you don't get one you are CRAZY
Great Price, cool color. A Squier Mustang is often a poor-to-mediocre guitar. But that's no reason to rule one out...there are always a few individual Squier Mustangs that will be good to very good quality. You don't know till ya examine one carefully and play it through an amp you're familiar with.
Doug
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I picked one up today at GC, bashed a few power chords on it and just said no.

That said, I know the ones that have been modified on these forums are probably kick ass. It's not the guitar's fault if it has a bad setup from the factory and can use some cash thrown at it to upgrade the bridge/tuners/nut/pickups, but I've been down that road too many times.
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

Yeah, these HH stangs are crazy-cheap and usable, and fine as your backup "second" guitar or if you're a beginner on a budget. That said, you'll want to swap the pots for 500k and give the fretboard a bit of lemon oil at the very least...the pickups aren't too bad, but as with most budget guitars the urge to upgrade those too is worth bearing in mind as well.

Now I have one of these of my own, I see where Nick's coming from: it's playable all right, but it's a bit of a nuisance to have to do extra work and TLC as soon as you get it home. My next guitar will instead be one that's "just right" out of the box, and doesn't need anything doing to it at all. Which will probably be something higher-end that takes some shopping around, but I can afford to be lazy about it next time around.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Concretebadger wrote:Yeah, these HH stangs are crazy-cheap and usable, and fine as your backup "second" guitar or if you're a beginner on a budget. That said, you'll want to swap the pots for 500k and give the fretboard a bit of lemon oil at the very least...the pickups aren't too bad, but as with most budget guitars the urge to upgrade those too is worth bearing in mind as well.

Now I have one of these of my own, I see where Nick's coming from: it's playable all right, but it's a bit of a nuisance to have to do extra work and TLC as soon as you get it home. My next guitar will instead be one that's "just right" out of the box, and doesn't need anything doing to it at all. Which will probably be something higher-end that takes some shopping around, but I can afford to be lazy about it next time around.
Oooops, tried to edit and ended up double-posting. See blow...
Last edited by Doug on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug
Doug

Post by Doug »

Doug wrote:
Concretebadger wrote:Yeah, these HH stangs are crazy-cheap and usable, and fine as your backup "second" guitar or if you're a beginner on a budget. That said, you'll want to swap the pots for 500k and give the fretboard a bit of lemon oil at the very least...the pickups aren't too bad, but as with most budget guitars the urge to upgrade those too is worth bearing in mind as well.

If you know how to adjust a truss rod, replace pickups and bridges, you can buy great guitars used for great deals.

All my guitars & amps are serious collectibles or vintage. And I got a deal on every one of 'em. I research exactly what I want and get all the correct specs in order. I often shop on Ebay but I talk with the seller extensively before I pull the trigger. First by email, then by phone. I ask detailed questions and get a sense for the seller's technical knowledge, personality, character and make sure there's a return policy. I also shop guitar stores and pawn shops, especially when I travel. Check out:

Starving Musician in Berkeley, Cal. They always have Mustangs for sale, new, used, collectible, and vintage at good prices. http://starvingmusician.com/cart/
Stevie B's in Clearwater, Fla. on Hwy 19; extra-personal service from the 3 young owners who are in bands. http://www.steviebs.com/

So far, I've not been burned.

Cheers, lads,
Doug
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Rob, did yours arrive?
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

I did.

Honest opinion.....

If I didn't already rebuild Als bullet mustang with donated parts not costing me anything and knowing that the end result can look sound and feel FUCKING AMAZING....I would be really disappointed in this guitar. The ztrings are tiny and it won't stay in tune at all. It sucks. I haven't even plugged it in. This guitar is a platform for greatness period. Nothing else.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

i really really really need to tear this thing down soon.

sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Looks awesome. Can you write your opinion about it in comparison with your other shortscales? And do an demo
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

These Mustangs are IMO the best value guitars of all time. I have the Blue Sparkle one, cannot get over how great it is, especially for a measly $150.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

So, the neck? Any good?
Let's be honest, it makes a Fender.
The Jagstang was a bit garbage but what a great neck.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I liked the neck on Noirie's blue one; very shallow and flat, a little too skinny for me but WAY better than the VM Squier necks. Those fuckers are like baseball bats (got a CIJ Jag neck on mine now).

I think if you're prepared to put the effort into a bit of fretwork and a good setup, these are very decent for the pricepoint.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

in the state its in right now off the rack?

its total fucking garbage.

hot garbage full of tires on fire.

its seriously awful.

the nut where the B string goes is barely cut at all. it pops out of there if you barely do a bend.
the screw in B string saddle comes loose on its own. Ive never seen a guitar do this before. I'll screw it in, play it a bit, set it down, come back to it and its fucking almost falling out its come unscrewed so far.

the neck is white as fuck. I will say the fret ends on it are better than the one I put together for Al. that one I had to file the shit out of them.
the strings are so small you can use them to stint a mouse dick and still have plenty of room for the pee to come out.

of the rack if i had this for a first guitar i would get so frustrated with it I would quit after about a month.

that being said I bought it with the intention of throwing the bridge in the trash, throw the strings in the trash, tinting the neck, filing down the fret ends and it will take me 3 seconds to fix the nut once i get the strings off it. and i'm EXTREMEMLY HAPPY with how the ALSTANG turned out

soooo....project guitar i give it 100%.....starter guitar 0%. honestly it would stuck total balls for a starter guitar.....shit like this makes beginners quit playing
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

this is what this guitar sounds like with me playing .11 strings and it sounds really off. the green one off the rack has like .07's on it or something. I cant play ANYTHING on it with out it going sharp.

[youtube][/youtube]
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

robroe wrote:in the state its in right now off the rack?

its total fucking garbage.

hot garbage full of tires on fire.

its seriously awful.

the nut where the B string goes is barely cut at all. it pops out of there if you barely do a bend.
the screw in B string saddle comes loose on its own. Ive never seen a guitar do this before. I'll screw it in, play it a bit, set it down, come back to it and its fucking almost falling out its come unscrewed so far.

the neck is white as fuck. I will say the fret ends on it are better than the one I put together for Al. that one I had to file the shit out of them.
the strings are so small you can use them to stint a mouse dick and still have plenty of room for the pee to come out.

of the rack if i had this for a first guitar i would get so frustrated with it I would quit after about a month.

that being said I bought it with the intention of throwing the bridge in the trash, throw the strings in the trash, tinting the neck, filing down the fret ends and it will take me 3 seconds to fix the nut once i get the strings off it. and i'm EXTREMEMLY HAPPY with how the ALSTANG turned out

soooo....project guitar i give it 100%.....starter guitar 0%. honestly it would stuck total balls for a starter guitar.....shit like this makes beginners quit playing
:lol:

Maybe you got the runt of the litter Rob?
Squire qc is usually high standard considering the cost of their guitars.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Sounds like it just needs a decent setup; too much neck relief and/or nut not cut deep enough; more pushy = more bendy.

Yeah, they're not perfect guitars by any stretch of the imagination, but a proper setup will always make a huge difference. Like most of the low end stuff, QC is totally inconsistent so you get both dudz and diamondz/
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

My short experience mirrored Rob's but I had figured maybe I just played a bad one.

Thinking more about it as a former GC employee, the whole reason these exist for so cheap is to help upsell holiday shoppers to anything better and more profitable. I'm gonna go on a hunch that cost on these is something like $87 and probably more like $95 with adpack. They're not getting rich on them.
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

I play gauges:

On 24" scale. Just an FYI for anybody who likes em fat, these gauges are all tension-equal between 9 and 10 Kg per string. I like my strings all equal tension. And playing a .052 string sounds fucking huge, can also put in Drop D with no floppiness.
Last edited by Cymbaline on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

.07's are the future.