Fender Mustang Offset Shell Pink (My opinion)

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

barracuda

Fender Mustang Offset Shell Pink (My opinion)

Post by barracuda »

Hello, I am new to this forum.

I just purchased the limited edition pink shell mustang from the mexican offset series. I purchased it last week so I will give you my opinion here.
It is not my first short scale guitar since I have had already a fender Jaguarillo and a Japanese Fender competition mustang, I sold the latter to be able to buy this one, I don't regret it.

First of all, I bought it because of the colour. I know it is a special release (says it on a sticker on the back of the headstock) so I didn't know how long it would be available, I sold my japanese mustang to buy it. I love the pink shell, such an inusual custom colour. It isn't for everyone I guess.

I am really digging the 9' radius neck, it is easier to play for bends though the fingerboard seems wider compared to my previus japanese mustang.
The frets are also bigger, I see this as an advantge, but it is harder to play in the higher frets.
The neck is bigger, with a satin finish and I find it confortable, it fits my hand very well though it will take some for my hand to adjust.
The factory setup was alright, nothing to write home about but overall alright. I haven't touched it yet.
I find the pickups a bit hotter than the ones I had on my japanese mustang (stock pups), they sound nice, they really do, great clarity through my blues junior amp. Of course low output but it is what you expect.
The tone might be different due to the Pau Ferro fretboard and the strat bridge but im pretty sure it is the pickups.
Pau ferro is not rosewood, it feels different. I think it must be a harder material, less grainy. The colours of the fretboard are really beutiful.

I hated the machineheads, I can't see a cbs headstock with modern tuners, I replaced them with fender 70's f tuners as soon as it came, pure aesthetics.

Image[/img]
Image[/img]
Image[/img]
Last edited by barracuda on Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Welcome, I've been eyeing this model as well, It's such a beautiful and simple guitar.

I'm with you on the tuners-the new ones looked out of place to me. Did you need to use conversion ferrules on the tuners? Only problem I can see from the photos it looks like a ring was impressed by the washer into the finish around the tuners now. That would probably bother me enough to either not swap the tuners, or to just swap it altogether for a vintage neck. A pity though since the fretboard looks so nice.
Last edited by Nick on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Hola!

Lovely looking guitar. Agree the vintage tuners look so much better.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
barracuda

Post by barracuda »

Nick wrote:I'm with you on the tuners-the new ones looked out of place to me. Did you need to use conversion ferrules on the tuners? Only problem I can see from the photos it looks like a ring was impressed by the washer into the finish around the tuners now. .
I did use them, if you notice the bushings are gold while the tuners are chrome. That is dirt from the previous tuners, I couldn't quite manage to wipe it off, that is gonna be there forever im afraid. I don't mind it that much, to me it is better than having the other tuners.
Regards!
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Welcome aboard! Shell pink is one of my favorites, I'm a sucker for pastel colors
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
barracuda

Post by barracuda »

barracuda wrote:
Nick wrote:I'm with you on the tuners-the new ones looked out of place to me. Did you need to use conversion ferrules on the tuners? Only problem I can see from the photos it looks like a ring was impressed by the washer into the finish around the tuners now. .
I did use them, if you notice the bushings are gold while the tuners are chrome. That is dirt from the previous tuners, I couldn't quite manage to wipe it off, that is gonna be there forever im afraid. I don't mind it that much, to me it is better than having the other tuners.
Regards!
Okay, after a second try i did manage to rub it off with a toothpick though it is still slightly noticeable. It was really stuck in there haha
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

god damn, that looks hot as shit. i love it.
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

You did the right thing. I know I would have dropped the Competition Mustang for that beauty without hesitation.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Welcome. Looks great and I agree on the tuners.

Shell Pink is one of the elusive colours to me, I've just about owned something or other in the other Fender colours at some point.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

I might swap the tuners out on the Duo I have.

Someone on here years ago had a vintage Shell Pink Duo. It looked fucking sick.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

OMGGGGG i'm sick that I can't buy one!!!!!!!! its perfect!
George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I like Pau Ferro, and it's not too far off the boards they used on vintage Fenders... it's South American and has tighter grain than Indian rosewood (as did Brazillian rosewood generally). Fender are making no bones about it replacing rosewood on their new MIM stuff due to the new CITES regulations, but it's previously only appeared on high-end American sig models based on vintage guitars (SRV Strat, Jaco bass) so it's hardly a downgrade. I love that it's the solution they went for.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

I bought one of the new Shell Pink Mustangs intending to swap necks with my Capri Orange Duo-Sonic so that I would have a Shell Pink Mustang with a Maple fretboard and spaghetti logo but I love this Pao Ferro fretboard so much I'm having second thoughts about any permanent change. I'll probably do it eventually but not immediately like I had planned.
Here are some more pics from my NGD.

speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Love that color! Still regret not getting the Shell Pink MIM Jazzmaster FSR years ago when they were available. :cry: Congrats!
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
Doug

Many great guitarists prefer "lower output"

Post by Doug »

barracuda wrote:
barracuda wrote:
Regards!
Okay, after a second try i did manage to rub it off with a toothpick though it is still slightly noticeable. It was really stuck in there haha
The gold bushings are a cool touch. Subtle elegance. But they do stand out a lot more than the little blemish circles around them. So your Mustang is a beauty for sure.

Regarding the lower output pickups...many pups are intentionally lower output, like PAFs for example. It doesn't mean they're not as good or powerful. They just have a tone that's very desirable by more guitarists than you'd think.

Happy Thanksgiving...be thankful, all, for the guitar you play. Pura vida, Barracuda.
Doug
henkstroem

Post by henkstroem »

Thats gotta be the most beautiful Fender release since the last Musicmaster.

And on the output thing, I'm getting the feel that pickup output is gonna be the next weight - thing. Like when in the 80's heavy was good. The heavier the better. Well, as it turns out there are many things at play, and light is sometimes very good., and in between there are several stages of greatness as well. Same thing with pickups; In the age of pedals and small tube amps, low output pickups are a fantastic way to give more room to a delicate instrument and the playing hand. Then again some effects really like a wee bit more there.
dragonfly66

Weight?

Post by dragonfly66 »

@barracuda
@PV-1955

I ordered this Mustang from Musician's Friend and the shipping weight is 12.7lbs, which seems kinda heavy. I was expecting a 6.5-7lb Mustang. Musician's Friend usually ships in manufacturer box, in my experience they don't double-box, so I'd be surprised if the packing material is anywhere close to 6 lbs. I usually buy from Sweetwater because my luck has been bad when buying guitars/basses sight unseen. Earlier this year I bought an Ibanez Mikro 5-String bass from Musician's Friend and it was almost 9lbs, which defeated one of the purposes of buying a short scale bass in the first place, the weight. I bought the Mustang from Musician's Friend because I had backstage points to pay for most of it otherwise I would have waited for Sweetwater.

In contrast, I bought a 7.75 lb bass from Sweetwater that was double boxed and its shipping weight was only 15lbs. Using this bass as an example, assuming that the manufacturer's box weighs 4lbs, it doesn't bode well that my Mustang is light. It sounds like it may be closer to 9lbs. That seems unreal! Even 8lbs would be too heavy or at least far heavier than I was expecting. I'm concerned I've just purchased yet another boat anchor that I'll have to return.

So I wanted to know what your shipping weight was (doubled boxed?) and what your Mustangs ended up weighing. The shipping weight usually shows up on the carrier's tracking page.
PV-1955

Re: Weight?

Post by PV-1955 »

dragonfly66 wrote:@barracuda
@PV-1955

I ordered this Mustang from Musician's Friend and the shipping weight is 12.7lbs, which seems kinda heavy. I was expecting a 6.5-7lb Mustang. Musician's Friend usually ships in manufacturer box, in my experience they don't double-box, so I'd be surprised if the packing material is anywhere close to 6 lbs. I usually buy from Sweetwater because my luck has been bad when buying guitars/basses sight unseen. Earlier this year I bought an Ibanez Mikro 5-String bass from Musician's Friend and it was almost 9lbs, which defeated one of the purposes of buying a short scale bass in the first place, the weight. I bought the Mustang from Musician's Friend because I had backstage points to pay for most of it otherwise I would have waited for Sweetwater.

In contrast, I bought a 7.75 lb bass from Sweetwater that was double boxed and its shipping weight was only 15lbs. Using this bass as an example, assuming that the manufacturer's box weighs 4lbs, it doesn't bode well that my Mustang is light. It sounds like it may be closer to 9lbs. That seems unreal! Even 8lbs would be too heavy or at least far heavier than I was expecting. I'm concerned I've just purchased yet another boat anchor that I'll have to return.

So I wanted to know what your shipping weight was (doubled boxed?) and what your Mustangs ended up weighing. The shipping weight usually shows up on the carrier's tracking page.

My 2017 Shell Pink Mustang was shipped single boxed and had a shipping weight listed on the label as 12 pounds. The actual weight of the guitar ended up being a little less than 7 pounds 6 ounces. I prefer lightweight guitars so if this one had showed up a little lighter I would have preferred it but it plays and sounds fabulous so I'm not complaining. My 2016 Capri Orange Duo-Sonic weighs in at 6.5 pounds.

I normally buy from Sweetwater because I can pick a lightweight guitar but unfortunately they didn't have any in Shell Pink at the time.

FWIW. There are currently 11 Fender Mustangs (single coil model but none in Shell Pink) on Sweetwater at the moment and nine of them are over 7 pounds (most are 7 pounds 3 ounces). The lightest is 6 pounds 6 ounces.
dragonfly66

Post by dragonfly66 »

I only wanted this guitar really because it was Shell Pink. I have a shell pink Tele and love the color. I looked at the Duo Sonics and Mustangs on the Sweetwater site to encourage myself that there are more light Mustangs than there are heavy ones and so I took a chance on buying the guitar sight unseen.

If I go by your single box weight then I'll end up with a Mustang over 8lbs which would surely go back for an exchange in the hopes I can get a lighter one, though there are none to exchange with now at Musician's Friend.

UUUGH! Know anyone who can break my heavy guitar magnet curse? (wtf??)
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

dragonfly66 wrote:I only wanted this guitar really because it was Shell Pink. I have a shell pink Tele and love the color. I looked at the Duo Sonics and Mustangs on the Sweetwater site to encourage myself that there are more light Mustangs than there are heavy ones. But if I go by your single box weight then I'll end up with a Mustang over 8lbs which would surely go back for an exchange in the hopes I can get a lighter one.

UUUGH! Know anyone who can break my heavy guitar magnet curse? (wtf??)
I wouldn't worry too much. I have a lot guitars come through and the listed weight on the box is rarely accurate (and usually listed heavier than the actual package weight).
I set a weight limit at 7.5 pounds for my Shell Pink Mustang and I had two ounces to spare.