Modding a Squier VM Jag

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

LewA

Modding a Squier VM Jag

Post by LewA »

Next stage in modding a Squier VM Jag. The guitar was bought specifically to mod it into a 'general purpose' axe because I have bad arthritis in the hands and a short scale is a lot easier for me. (I have a CIJ set up for surf so I didn't need another surf axe)

First stage was to fit a Staytrem tremelo system and rewire the lead circuit with the series mod. I also tried a number of different combinations of pots and caps leading to the second stage.

Second Stage just completed:

Fit Creamery single coil pickups (UK boutique) who wound a hotter wide range set for me.

Then rewired the lead controls along the lines of the latest American Pro while retaining the pickup switches and with a twist of my own. Basically the lead controls are like a Strat with the hot going to the Volume Pot which is a 500k linear and then connected to the Tone pot to ground via a .022nf cap. The twist is the Tone pot which is a wide range kit from Axesrus. This is a CTS made dual ganged 'half' pot with one pot a 250k Audio and one a 1Meg linear with a centre detent separating the two. A bit of a tight squeeze but I got it in.

I copied the American Pro treble bleed circuit which seems to work very well with no change in the Tone when the volume is rolled off. It's a variation on the Seymour parallel circuit.

Very pleased with the overall tone range with plenty of easily controllable grunt at the 250k settings to surfish courtesy of the 1 meg range of the pot. I had intended to change the strangle switch to the 'out of phase' mod but I'm not sure now. With the current setup the switch seems to really accentuate clean tones without the rather IMHO wimpy effect of the original. I'll play it for a bit and then make a decision.

Only other thing I may do is change the bridge to a Staytrem but I haven't had any problems with the stock so I might not bother.
Lew A
paul_

Post by paul_ »

My CIJ has, at different times, been my all-rounder guitar and my surfy Jag. Sounds like a plan 8)

How do you like the Staytrem tailpiece? I've been tempted towards them for the CIJ at times. Though the tremolo action never gives me any probs, continually messing with the loose/squeaking/wobbly arm trying to get it feeling a bit more stable does get on my nerves.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

whole thing sounds awesome i love the necks on these lots of gloss
dots wrote:incesticide
LewA

Post by LewA »

Hi Paul,

I really like the Staytrem tremolo. No more messing around with loose and wobbly arm or endlessly replacing PTFE tape.

The arm stays where I want it and is positive in action. Will put one on my CIJ in due course.

This is likely to be my favourite axe.
Lew A
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

I've had the Staytrem bridge and tremolo arm/collet reverb handle on my MIJ Jag for over four years now. Am a definite fan - it was certainly an improvement over the stock set up for me.

My JM Jag also has the trem but not the bridge. Keep meaning to get around to getting one of the wide bridges for my Squier VM VI.

Your mods sound interesting LewA. Got any pictures?
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
LewA

Post by LewA »

Hi Bear Boy,

Not worth posting pics as it looks just like a standard jag except fot the staytrem and that's only marginally different. However, if you're interested I'll scan and post drawings of the electrical mods in the next few days. It's easy to do if you don't mind a bit of soldering - the only fiddly bit is fitting together the treble bleed which is 2 small resistors and a cap and making sure they don't short anywhere. The dual gang pot only just fits in the cavity.

It had an airing at a jam night this week and came fully up to expectations - easy to change amongst a variety of music styles. Even got a 'banjo' sound for country by capoing at 12 and bridge pickup at 1meg tone position.
Lew A
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

HAHAH FUCKING REVERB HANDLE.

only at shortscale do you get this deepest level shit
dots wrote:incesticide
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

post pics of your jag or it never happened
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
SAVEStheDAY

Post by SAVEStheDAY »

If you decide to change the pickguard beware: The rhythm circuit bracket is shorter on the Squier VM Jazzy than just about every other Jazzy ever made. I bought a normal size bracket to fit the mounting holes on my new pickguard, and still recall having to do some filing to get everything to fit nicely.
LewA

Post by LewA »

Thanks for the advice. Fortunately I'm not at this point planning to do any cosmetic work.
Lew A
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

SHOW ELECTRICAL WIRING DIAGRAM!

((nopics))