Wiring suggestions for Jaguar pickup replacement

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

BridgerHumbucker

Wiring suggestions for Jaguar pickup replacement

Post by BridgerHumbucker »

Hello
I plan on changing my Squire Jaguar's single coils to 2 Dimarzio humbuckers (a Steve Morse in the lead and a Super 2 in the rhythm)
I've found more than a few wiring schematics for the Jaguar, but was wondering if anyone out there has had
experience with changing singles coils to Humbuckers? It would seem pretty straight forward ( just replacing hot and ground wires)
but I was wondering if anyone had any advice ( or alternate wiring diagrams?).
Thanks
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Firstly, just in case you didn't know, a full size humbucker won't fit without routing. A stacked coil, Strat-size humbucker should, though.

As for wiring, it is indeed as simple as just replacing hot and ground wires. A lot of humbuckers though (DiMarzio included) are 4- or 5-wire setups, for purposes of splitting coils, changing phase, doing other fancy things. For your typical always-on, straight up humbucker sound, there will be two wires you need to tie together, then tape off and ignore. Which wires those are depend on which pickup you go with.
BridgerHumbucker

Post by BridgerHumbucker »

Dillon wrote:Firstly, just in case you didn't know, a full size humbucker won't fit without routing. A stacked coil, Strat-size humbucker should, though.

As for wiring, it is indeed as simple as just replacing hot and ground wires. A lot of humbuckers though (DiMarzio included) are 4- or 5-wire setups, for purposes of splitting coils, changing phase, doing other fancy things. For your typical always-on, straight up humbucker sound, there will be two wires you need to tie together, then tape off and ignore. Which wires those are depend on which pickup you go with.
I'm going to just wire it straight up ground and hot, nothing fancy. I was just wondering with the spread out wiring system of a Jaguar, if there was anything to look out for.
For this kind of wiring, the standard Dimarzio 4 wire system should apply (bare and green to ground, red to hot and white and black soldered together and taped off) And Yep I'm all ready to route, just waiting for my pickguard from Warmoth to show up so I can use it as a template.
So Thank you Dillon for showing me what you got :D