New Squier Mustangs

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

New Squier Mustangs

Post by kingkiller »

I've seen those new Squier Mustangs, has anyone played one enough to know if they're worth it? I know they're super cheap, but if they're not even half decent then that's a deal breaker. I've got 10 other guitars and none are shortscale so I'm looking for an easy entry first one.

New member, btw :D
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Welcome aboard, fwend. We've chatted a lot already, best use the search function http://www.shortscale.org/forum/search.php
LewA

Post by LewA »

Hi,
I've just bought a Squier Mustang VM having previously bought and been happy with a Jaguar VM.

Build quality is very good, frets finished well etc (Ihaven't taken a look at the pup cavity yet but if its the same as the Jag there's plenty of shielding paint.) Pots are Alpha mini's - which are quite good quality.

Sounds - just like a Mustang should - sort of like a more trebley strat.

Playability is excellent - the neck is fatter than I normally like (more so than the Japanese reissues) but I had no trouble adjusting even with my arthritic hands.

A word of warning for all Mustangs with the traditional trem - it must be set up with care - there is a guide on this site which takes the pain away. When you get it right it is much more sensitive than a Strat type Trem.

Hope this helps
Lew
Lew A
Cavediver

Re: New Squier Mustangs

Post by Cavediver »

kingkiller wrote:I've seen those new Squier Mustangs, has anyone played one enough to know if they're worth it? I know they're super cheap, but if they're not even half decent then that's a deal breaker. I've got 10 other guitars and none are shortscale so I'm looking for an easy entry first one.

New member, btw :D
If you mean the new Squier Bullet Mustang then they are the low point of the Mustang series. I saw and tried one out for s&g last week and they are nowhere near as well made as the VM Squier Mustangs and miles away from a Fender Mustang. I own two Fender Mustangs and a VM Squier Mustang so I can compare and recognize the differences. The Squier Bullets have no vibrato/trem, the saddles and bridge are junk, they have low end pups and have really cheap tuning machines. Then neck is basically unfnished.
That being said, they would be a good platform for modding or building your own.
Last edited by Cavediver on Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

LewA wrote:Sounds - just like a Mustang should - sort of like a more trebley strat.
The VM pickups are not that trebly, they're high output and darker than vintage Mustang pickups. They're still great pickups though.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Mr_Martin

Post by Mr_Martin »

The Bullet Mustang ist great right out of the box.
Hardware is absolutely ok, the Pickups are great.
No need to mod.

Here is mine: