Well hello there Fresher

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

MattK

Well hello there Fresher

Post by MattK »

I'm visiting Kyoto for work and dropped in to Miki Gakki in Osaka - nothing interesting in the used section until I saw a Fresher Mercury in the rack for cheap, I figured it must be a made in China reissue since it looked brand new. But nope, to the best of my ability to figure, this is an early-mid 1970s Matsumoku Fresher made in Japan, and very nicely made too, aside from some tuning stability issues I look forward to fixing. It looks literally new out of the box apart from a few slight scratches on the back. Beautiful smoky blue finish not unlike old LPB. And they had discounted it by a third from its used price. What could I do but buy it?
Trainspotter notes - has body contours like a '69, but the body is the same thickness as a Strat etc rather than the standard Mustang bodies.
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

Wow...what a score!
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

It looks close to new.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

It looks close to new.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Very nice.

The Fender Japan Mustang reissues essentially exist because of stuff like this.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
MattK

Post by MattK »

Thanks guys - it needs a little setup work (and some 12s for my heavy hands) but for 19 000 yen it's better-than-Squier for about half the money ... and I love the colour. Japanese stores tend to undervalue the domestic stuff - Fender Mexico is often more expensive than Fender Japan models, for example.
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Proper slick stuff, and certainly the gooder side of vintage.
MattK

Post by MattK »

One more:
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Looks great. Well done!
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Super nice. I would definitely rock a Fresher.

I finally made it to Japan a few weeks ago and got to check out a few shops in Ochanomizu. Unfortunately I was in no position to buy, but there were Mustangs galore. What a wonderful country for short scale enthusiasts! I will be back...
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

late to the party, but man that's a beautiful guitar. japan has turned the mustang into a god.