Awstin Rocks (He Found Me a Cyclone!)

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

HNB

Awstin Rocks (He Found Me a Cyclone!)

Post by HNB »

I am a big fan of The Pillows. I have seen them live two times. I love their CD's. (All that stuff.) Ever since I saw Sawao's custom Cyclone I have wanted one but I didn't learn about them until long after they were made. (Only 300 were made... yadda yadda yadda...) I set up a search notifier on eBay and Reverb for "Fender Cyclone" "Squire Cyclone" "Sawao Cyclone" and "Sawao The Pillows" and I check those searches every day. I have been doing this for likely over a year. Maybe even two years. Never seen one.... then I see a post on my Facebook wall from Awstin linking to an eBay auction with one and I quickly checked the pics and picked it up. I am super pumped! I can't believe I finally found one of these! There will be better pics when it arrives, but this is what it looks like.

Images-l500 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Images-l500 (2) by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

[youtube][/youtube]

Man the first time I flew to Japan it was pretty scary. I didn't know any Japanese and was alone. I found the FLCL soundtrack (That is pretty much all Pillow's songs) and it got me through that trip and all the way home. Still one of my favorite CD's I have.

Pumped!
HNB

Post by HNB »

[youtube][/youtube]
op4blushift

Post by op4blushift »

Love the Pillows. I've listened to everything up they released up to about 2000 (so basically everything FLCL) and it's all pretty great, though their earlier stuff is a bit weird and not at all what they're kinda known for.

I love the look of Cyclones and I think this sig is pretty neat. Interesting that they even painted the back of the neck as well.
Darth Stang

Post by Darth Stang »

not sure I'd pay 1.2k for it, but nice guitar.

The worlds a crazy place, we have one guy can't sell his 64 jag for 3K and we have another guy buying squires for over a grand.

I'm more of a MIJ for lifer.

I did want to see what all the fuss was about on ss.org, so I recently bought a landfill MIC fender guitar. It's in the shop now, as expected it needs work double the cost of the guitar. Pups, electronics, etc etc. The fretboard is quite flat. Like ibanez flat. Can't wait to post teh picz
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

Man, I've not listened to the pillows in ages! That's a really cool guitar though - I quite like the Cyclone, but I've never found one in a store anywhere.

I remember Sago doing a sig model for Yoshiaki Manabe that was being shown at the Japan Expo in Paris back in 2014. I was lucky enough to try it out, and then see the man himself giving a public demo.

The colour was "burgundy mist," which translates to a pinkish purple that I kinda liked. It was a really nice guitar too. LANK
HNB

Post by HNB »

His signatures are pretty cool looking guitars. I have a Japanese Mustang the same color as the ones he did a ways back before those guitars. :) He is a great player. :D
HNB

Post by HNB »

Guitar came in today and is pretty awesome! It is in excellent shape except one neck pocket crack on the white side.... Given how rare these are, I am going to live with it. LOL Here are pictures.

Image20170329_132856 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Image20170329_132921 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Image20170329_132945 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Image20170329_133012 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Image20170329_133019 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

twocoloured neck! :shock: weird!!!
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

Wow,Awesome Guitar,love The Pillows!

[youtube][/youtube]
SAVEStheDAY

Post by SAVEStheDAY »

I like it a lot, very unique!
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Love the Pillows but I've never seen this.

Curious, did this design have any influence on your Jagstang project?

Also is the pickguard painted black on half or is it two glued pieces of plastic?
HNB

Post by HNB »

Yup! I based my walnut maple Jag-Stang off his guitar. The pickguard is half single ply white and half single ply black. Not sure how they glued it.
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

its the michael schenker flying V paintjob! ridiculous!! i love it!
George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
HNB

Post by HNB »

That is a hot V. :D