Kurt cobain mustang switches questions

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Mustang25

Kurt cobain mustang switches questions

Post by Mustang25 »

I'm working on a vm mustang to make it into a Kurt mustang and I noticed kurts switches looks completely different then any I can find, does anyone know where to get them, and also he has his lowered with spacers what could I use as spacers?
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

there's info for lowering switches here, but the thread is so old the pics are gone: www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20102

that method works though, i've done it before with my duo-sonic II
Darth Stang

Post by Darth Stang »

Kurtz mustangs were standard switchcraft switches, the U.S. Chicago ones used in mij mustangs until about 2002.

just prior to the Europe in utero tour kurt or earnie cut the switches with a razor or sharp knife, that's why they look so weird, they are flush against the body

the kurt reissues use the later non switch craft switches the brass ones, and to do the flush thing, femder put in foam spacers
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

Can someone explain the exact differences between Teh Kurdtz and a standard mustang's switches?
Darth Stang

Post by Darth Stang »

the switches used in kurtz mustang in 1993 are the same ones that can be bought today from allparts Texas, normal switchcraft switches

ironically, fender Japan stopped using them about a year before the MG65 was released, cheaper brass ones that may be in house or China sourced
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

Well I mean regarding the wiring, you cannot get the out-of-phase on teh kurdtz right
Darth Stang

Post by Darth Stang »

the single could would have been stock mustsng wiring diagram, how earnie wired the humbuker, you'd have to research. I do know that in every pic of those mustangs during the in utero tour, kurt had the neck pickup switched to middle off and the humbukers switch always switched in the position closest to the tailpiece
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Cymbaline wrote:Well I mean regarding the wiring, you cannot get the out-of-phase on teh kurdtz right
if I remember correctly the KC Stang didn't have phasing in the bridge switch but had it in the neck switch.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.