Squier VM Mustangs: talk to me

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Darth Stang

Post by Darth Stang »

that is true, if you can get them in store cheap, it might be worth it. but ishibashi ubox has a huge amount of used mustangs for about 50,000 yen, sure there is shipping, but for a couple of extra hundred bucks its worth it.

I bought two squire strats myself, and it turns out to be a false economy. one ended up with a replacement neck and new pups swapped from an MIJ and a hotrail, I think I spent nearly a grand fixing it up, and another blue one I bought which had the most perfect daphne blue color, it ended up going in the trash as it was such a piece of shit, but looked really cool. the tuners sucked, the neck radius was dead flat, and really wasn't a guitar at all.
NickD

Post by NickD »

We (more relevantly Doog) don't live in the US, exchange rates etc mean that a Japanese model is going to be way more than a Squier.
Darth Stang

Post by Darth Stang »

but doog is a felted gremlin is he not?
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

My expereice was a pretty short, in store, unplugged one. HOWEVER I played the Fender re-issue of the day (Whatever was around last year?) and the Squiers finish/feel blew them out of the water. This was at a great store, too, so everything was set up as well as it could be. So I guess the TONEZ may have been better outta the fenders, but that was the only possible advantage.

*edit*
Final Squier unplugged mustang rating: 8/10. Would bang if I was shortscale committed.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Nice one, thanks duuuuuudes!

Watching a few more reviews on YT, apparently it's a got a more flat radius than the Jagstang (and presumably other Mustang reissues); 9.5" vs 7.25", which is a big plus (to me, anyways), especially on a shorter scale. Looking forward to trying one out, but will 100% be waiting until a used one pops up.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Went to the decent shop nearish my folks' place yesterday, annoyingly they had sold out of Mustangs, but I had a had an acoustic bash on the Squier Jazzmaster and Jaguars. Super impressed, honestly felt on a par with my CIJs.

Seems the Jag and the Mustang use the same neck, and I actually preferred the feel of the Jag over the JM in the store; this'll work out just fine :)
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Nice one!!
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

I really really like my vm jaguar. Neck is nice. If it's the same neck as on vm mustangs, they will be great.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

jagsonic wrote:I really really like my vm jaguar. Neck is nice. If it's the same neck as on vm mustangs, they will be great.
You must have the Jaguar SS model. I have the HH, and the neck is quite different, a bit thinner, but not super-thin.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

i own this one:
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

jagsonic wrote:I really really like my vm jaguar. Neck is nice. If it's the same neck as on vm mustangs, they will be great.
The radius, profile, nut width and scale are the same (according to t'internet), I can't imagine they'd be making two sliiiiiightly different necks for the Mustang and Jag? Thats what I'm hoping.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

I liked the mustang, would've scored one if they didn't look tiny as hell on me.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I kinda feel the same, I'm not a little guy by any mean; as soon as I saw one in the hands of anyone bigger than Cobain I was like "what the shit is this tiny thing"
Mustang25

Post by Mustang25 »

I got my vm mustang 5 days ago and I flipped the tailpiece and Locked the vibrato, the only problem I've had with it is the bridge, the screws viberate on the low e saddle and I had to flip it because the the intonation screws were touching the strings. The pickups doesn't sound has good as my vm strat but they don't sound bad but I'm going to put a jb in the bridge.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Doog wrote:I kinda feel the same, I'm not a little guy by any mean; as soon as I saw one in the hands of anyone bigger than Cobain I was like "what the shit is this tiny thing"
I'm a skinny tall guy and many regular guitars look big on me (especially acoustics), so I love tiny guitars
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Doog wrote:Went to the decent shop nearish my folks' place yesterday,
Where was that? Not as far as Chichester?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

NickS wrote:
Doog wrote:Went to the decent shop nearish my folks' place yesterday,
Where was that? Not as far as Chichester?
Aye, Chichester! It's a really decent shop, the good one in Bognor closed a few years back, and the only one left is a tiny 'Stagg' kind of shop, all boring stuff.

Got chatting to the young dude behind the counter, his eyes lit up when I mentioned I was into/influenced by surf rock, turns out he was super into surf AND grunge so we were talking about Jags, Mosrites, Man Or Astroman? and all that stuff. Gave me his bandcamp URL and all, nae bad stuff: http://woodlands1.bandcamp.com/
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Soooo I finally got a GO on one of these in Regent Sounds (finally saw Timhulio's garb in person too!).

It was set-up so the tailpiece rested against the plate (non-floating, I guess), and it kept tune so fucking well! Considering the strings were really not stretched in, it was pretty righteous, big points, you could practically divebomb on it. Stock bridge seemed okay but definitely needs some locktite on the grub screws, as a few of them were working their way loose. The neck is a little fatter/deeper (ie, not nut-width) than I was expecting, usable but not like I remember my Jag-Stang neck.

They're on sale for £310 there, but they only had the red one (cool, but wasn't what I was after). Homeboy from the shop checked on a me a SECOND time and was like "So, you sure you can't live with it in that colour?". Kinda pissed me off, especially after I'd enquired about the blue model and when they'd get one in. A bit too pushy for an indie store, it's not like I was in there for ages or playing super loud; was playing it acoustically half of the time.

I eventually found my way to the relocated Wunjo and realised they had all 3 colours there (for like £360 though). The blue is mad pale! I think it'd look okay with a white guard, but it's not quite the vibe I wanted.

Just gotta hold out for a beaten up one I can refinish :!:
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Dude, Wunjos will do you a deal if you're cheeky cunt like me.

Lowballed them on the Wilshire and it worked. Same with Hagstrom

Offer them £300
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I guess they might match the RS price, but it's still a bit much and tbh, it's not like I need a new guitar that badly..