Squier VM Mustangs: talk to me

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

lol do it anyway
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

You could get away with it, as a lovable street urchin, but once you've got the hollow eyes and lower back pain of middle age, you keep hold of whatever dignity you can
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

i bought nick's old one and replaced the bridge-- I had a spare staytrem and dropped that in-- seems pretty good
George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

[youtube][/youtube]
So I ended up buying Brainfur/Nick's VM, and I just threw some Fender '65 Reissue pickups in it that I got (megadeal on the bridge pup from JD).

Admittedly, the change was more aesthetic than tonal (the stock ones have stuck-on white covers), but these new ones sound just as good, and it's kinda funny to reflect on everyone crying about these pickups in their Mustangs back in t'day because they didn't sound like teh Kurdtz. Suckahs just didn't know how to dial their shit in.

Ditto the trem system; it works GREAT. Just set it so the tailpiece rests against the plate by adjusting the springs and posts, divebombs all over the shop but stays in tune.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Awesome
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

[youtube][/youtube]

@1:35, that feeling when Doog ends up with one of your guitars
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Haha!
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

oh shit dude it took me forever to realize that was the stock blue paint job and not just a ghost white refin, that shit is mad pale

edit:
► Show Spoiler
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Yeah, it is MAD pale, although I think the off-white 'parchment' scratchplate Nick put on there exacerbates it a little; it looks a bit more balanced in daylight:

sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Nick wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

@1:35, that feeling when Doog ends up with one of your guitars
Yes, I wish I could play as good as Doog. Honestly though, I wish Doog couldn't play as good as he does. People who can do something well make me feel defective
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I have two questions, Doog
1) Can you unlearn how to play guitar?
2) Whad gear/DAW did you use to record the demo?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

sunshiner wrote:I have two questions, Doog
1) Can you unlearn how to play guitar?
2) Whad gear/DAW did you use to record the demo?
If it makes you feel better, I can't drive and am living like a 20-something in my mid 30s because chasing music stunted my adult growth. I also just made a dummy 'Stang scratchplate to see how it'd look with a white one, and I glued the paper tracing onto the card backwards, so made a lefty. So don't feel too bad. If you want to be reasonable at guitar, just spend 10-15 years doing not much else. - http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/soci ... 0430126849

Gear was just the Amplitube 3 VST running in Reaper on my pc; Mesa-style almost-clean amp with their Fuzz Face models for each guitar track.
Last edited by Doog on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Terrible (right-handed) paper mock-up, I think it POPS a little more like this, gonna grab me a WBW whitey.

Either that or
► Show Spoiler
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

That weird one is interesting, but what colour is the one on it now, cream? Do you really think it's worth swapping to white? It's a lot of filing if it's not one made especially for Squier.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Doog wrote: If it makes you feel better, I can't drive and am living like a 20-something in my mid 30s because chasing music stunted my adult growth. I also just made a dummy 'Stang scratchplate to see how it'd look with a white one, and I glued the paper tracing onto the card backwards, so made a lefty. So don't feel too bad. If you want to be reasonable at guitar, just spend 10-15 years doing not much else. - http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/soci ... 0430126849
Yeah, it doesn't make me feel better. I can't drive either and have no career going on. Plus I can't play guitar well. I need to start doing something with all that. At least I need to start practising. Not today though, I'll think about it tomorrow
Doog wrote: Gear was just the Amplitube 3 VST running in Reaper on my pc; Mesa-style almost-clean amp with their Fuzz Face models for each guitar track.
Thank you, that is a very detailed and helpful description
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Fakir Mustache wrote:That weird one is interesting, but what colour is the one on it now, cream? Do you really think it's worth swapping to white? It's a lot of filing if it's not one made especially for Squier.
Tbh, I like the pale blue colour with the current pickguard. There are too many Mustangs with a "normal" colour which makes these VM Mustangs kind of unique
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Fakir Mustache wrote:That weird one is interesting, but what colour is the one on it now, cream? Do you really think it's worth swapping to white? It's a lot of filing if it's not one made especially for Squier.
It's "parchment", like a slightly green-yellow off-white. I'd prefer it white, as it helps bring the blue of the body out, so yeah, it's worth it to me, wannafightaboutit

I've ordered a cheapy one from China with no USA/Japan specificity mentioned, but it' so cheap I don't really mind if it doesn't work out and can't be filed into shape. Apparently this one Nick put on was also a cheapy Chinese import that he filed a bit. Worst case scenario, I get a custom cut from somewhere using the stock torty one.
Last edited by Doog on Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

get a WBW guard but also get that weird shit for fun's sake
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Maybe if I join an art rock band / Paramore
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

dude join paramore holy shit. replace haley even
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)