Squier Bullet Mustang

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

HNB

Post by HNB »

PV-1955 wrote:Here's mine with a new pg, new tuners and a bit of Kiwi.
What color Kiwi? Did you have to put anything over the kiwi or did you just rub it on/off and let it dry?
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

HNB wrote:
PV-1955 wrote:Here's mine with a new pg, new tuners and a bit of Kiwi.
What color Kiwi? Did you have to put anything over the kiwi or did you just rub it on/off and let it dry?

Applying Kiwi is a wipe on/wipe off affair. I typically put a layer of brown Kiwi on and let it sit for three or four minutes and then wipe it off. Then if I want it a bit darker I repeat the process. I do it this way because depending on how porous the wood is will determine how dark it gets with each coat. Even two recent Squier Bullet Mustangs differed a little in how they took the Kiwi. I use to use stain/tint and then clear nitro over necks to give them some age but I actually prefer the results (I think the necks feel really good after the Kiwi process) and it's so flippin quick and easy to do.
Last edited by PV-1955 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

What the hell, Fender. This is literally the best thing ever. I don't think I've ever gone from "this guitar exists?" to "I bought this guitar" so quickly. In fact, I bought two.

My bandmate got a Duo-Sonic HS today, right? And I was thinking, man, I wouldn't mind a new guitar, and I rarely even play my LPB MG73 anymore, maybe I should sell it and buy a new Offset Series Mustang. See, I've been playing a lot of rhythm for soul/funk type stuff where the tuning instability of my Mustangs was starting to become a liability. I keep them all floating because I like the quirkiness when I'm playing lead. But I don't like the quirkiness when I'm playing rhythm. Whatever.

The only thing that really kept me from going out and doing that was the lack of contours, you know. Then this guitar exists. Literally anything I want out of the Offset Series Mustang, I can get in this one. If I want to get the SS config, I just get a new pickguard cut. Even if I use it just for a donor body, it's still cheaper than a Warmoth. It's like shut up and take my money.

I don't care if it's a true Mustang or not. I want something light and easy to play and familiar, and the Mustang style is my favorite style of guitar. If a hardtail HH Strat can be a Strat, a hardtail HH Mustang can be called a Mustang and who cares. It's frickin' $149.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

robert(original) wrote:i think they are a cool idea, but it isn't really a mustang..... lack of trem, switches. and pups, plus its a conversion scale. and it only comes in 2 colors right? baltic blue and flat black. I guess they are cheap enough to be a good modding platform. since its a top loading bridge you could throw an actual mustang bridg/trem unit on it. and there is definitely enough room to put in some decent pickups, unless you wanted p-90;s in which case you would have to route the body a bit. the colors are sort of bland as well. totally affinity style.
It's not a conversion.
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

astro wrote:How thick is the body?
Thinner than a regular Mustang at around 35mm. Weighs 2.9KG (just under 6.5lbs)
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

I would love to see you guys video demo this. Extremely tempting!
Darth Stang

Post by Darth Stang »

It's good that you guys are happy with the purchase, but I just don't get why you guys are buying all these disposable guitars like Kleenex. Just buy looking at the photos you can tell what a piece of shit these things are. They aren't guitars they something that looks like a guitar. And it's not about the origin of the factory, it's accountant led manufacturing. Can we make a mustang for 30 bucks and sell it for 150 shouldn't be their business model

I mean you can get a real mij stang for 5 hundry if you try.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Darth Stang wrote:I just don't get why you guys are buying all these disposable guitars like Kleenex.
Because they're cheap enough that "why not"? They make great modding platforms. This is kind of like a modern, short scale Squier 51 in my eyes. The only things that look cheap about it to me are the neck and the saddles, both easily replaced. Even the neck doesn't look bad after that Kiwi job and new tuners.

Also, aside from obvious visual similarities and 24" scale, it's an entirely different guitar from an MIJ/CIJ Mustang. You're fairly locked into 7.25" radius and two Strat-sized pickups with a "real" Mustang. If you want one of those, buy one of those.
Darth Stang

Post by Darth Stang »

Fair enough I suppose nobody's getting harmed so I guess it's ok. Live and let be
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

Looking forward to some proper pics of the blue sparkle please!!
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

Darth Stang wrote:It's good that you guys are happy with the purchase, but I just don't get why you guys are buying all these disposable guitars like Kleenex. Just buy looking at the photos you can tell what a piece of shit these things are. They aren't guitars they something that looks like a guitar. And it's not about the origin of the factory, it's accountant led manufacturing. Can we make a mustang for 30 bucks and sell it for 150 shouldn't be their business model

Sorry you are having trouble understanding. All I can share with you is my perspective and here it is. I love guitars. I own nearly 60 at the moment and they range from these entry level guitars all the way up to collector guitars with most of them being in-between these extremes. I love playing them, collecting them, buying, selling and trading them. I also like working on them and modding them and prefer to work on the more affordable guitars for that part of my hobby. I love it. I think it's fun. I also recognize that some of the more affordable guitars can be made into excellent players that sound great and aren't as you state "P.O.S." Hope this helps.
Last edited by PV-1955 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

Cymbaline wrote:Looking forward to some proper pics of the blue sparkle please!!

Here are a few pics of a stock blue one that I'm in the process of modding.

Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

God, that fucker is beautiful. Thank you!
Definitely will snag one soon.
How are the pickups? Wanna do some sound clips?
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

Cymbaline wrote:God, that fucker is beautiful. Thank you!
Definitely will snag one soon.
How are the pickups? Wanna do some sound clips?

The stock pickups are much better than I expected (once I dialed in the height) and I left them in the black Mustang for now. The blue Mustang will have two single coils in it and I'm sorting that out. I think it would be fun/useful to make a sound clip that compares the two once I am done so that certainly isn't out of the question.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

So, is it 24.75" or 24"? Can someone remeasure it again, please?
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

sunshiner wrote:So, is it 24.75" or 24"? Can someone remeasure it again, please?
It's absolutely 24" and Fender has finally updated their specs to reflect this.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Thanks, man
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

If that 'stang is the imperial blue, I'd pick one up in a heartbeat - I looove that sparkly blue colour in those pics. They're going for just £120 right now, which is quite frankly an absolute steal if the build and sound quality are decent.
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

Concretebadger wrote:If that 'stang is the imperial blue, I'd pick one up in a heartbeat - I looove that sparkly blue colour in those pics. They're going for just £120 right now, which is quite frankly an absolute steal if the build and sound quality are decent.

They come in Black and Imperial Blue. Build quality and sound are beyond decent. Great affordable guitar and excellent for modding.

honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Darth Stang wrote:It's good that you guys are happy with the purchase, but I just don't get why you guys are buying all these disposable guitars like Kleenex. Just buy looking at the photos you can tell what a piece of shit these things are. They aren't guitars they something that looks like a guitar. And it's not about the origin of the factory, it's accountant led manufacturing. Can we make a mustang for 30 bucks and sell it for 150 shouldn't be their business model

I just sold my LPB MIJ Mustang to get two of these and money to mod with. MIJ Mustangs are great guitars, but they're not the only guitars in the world.

They are guitars. Don't be ridiculous.