Squier Bullet Mustang

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

It's weird how through holes are the standard for guitar whereas split posts are standard for bass, despite the fact both instruments are basically taking after Fender who put split posts on both.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

honeyiscool wrote:It's weird how through holes are the standard for guitar whereas split posts are standard for bass, despite the fact both instruments are basically taking after Fender who put split posts on both.
That is weird. I love the Kluson "Safety" split posts. I try to use them when possible.
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

I was indeed talking about the screw holes on the back of the headstock, but the tuners are actually good, so I'll leave them be.
I cant believe how great this guitar sounds. This might be the best value guitar in existence.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Cymbaline wrote:I was indeed talking about the screw holes on the back of the headstock, but the tuners are actually good, so I'll leave them be.
I cant believe how great this guitar sounds. This might be the best value guitar in existence.
I agree. It actually sounds quite good. I can get good clarity out of the stock pickups, as well as crunch if I want it. And like I said, the tuners are pretty good. They're smooth, and they hold. This isn't one of those cases where you buy a $149 Epiphone and it has decent bones but everything else is meh about it. I could totally get real use out of the guitar in stock form with maybe a bit of bronze wool to soften up the neck and frets just a little bit. When I do my first string change, I'll oil up the neck and all that.

Measuring through a cable in the jack (not the most accurate, I know), it seems the bridge is about 11k, neck is about 9k. This is a pretty good range for humbuckers, enough to get really good crunch, but not too hot, either. With both pickups on, I'm getting very good rhythm tone. Even clean enough for some kinds of funk rhythm sounds (though my regular Mustangs are way better, naturally).
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

I set it up with custom gauge equal-tension strings (52-38-28-20-16-12) and adjusted the neck and intonated it yesterday when it arrived, then let it sit and marinade for a day.
When I picked it up again a full day later, every string was still in perfect tune right on the money. Impressive.
I am also impressed by how each string can be heard crystal clear even under crushing distortion and how much this guitar's body resonates when strummed.
I spent about 1 hour filing the nut and tweaking the neck, saddle height, and intonation it it is now totally dialed up and kicking ass.
I highly recommend everybody snag one of these!

If I were to pimp it out I'd probably just put on a mint green pickguard and chrome pickup covers (I got the blue one)
HNB

Post by HNB »

If these came in white, I would have one already...

I suppose I could always just paint one white..... Hmmmmmmm
Mattsican

Post by Mattsican »

PV-1955 wrote:
Dillon wrote:Since you swapped the pickguard, I'm curious if it's got a USA pattern like the Squier VM series? Or if it's more MIJ/CIJ? I just happen to have a tort pickguard and Mustang switches, so this is really tempting. Especially if a Squier VM or MIJ/CIJ neck will fit on it.

Here's a scan of the stock pickguard and I've been replacing them with cheapies on Amazon/Ebay that are typically marked "3 ply for Fender Mustang Classic Series".
I use the fill and drill method when installing new pickguards.

I looked on amazon/eBay using those keywords and it only brought up ones with the standard cutouts for single coils/switches. Where did u get one with the HH config and no slide switches?
facebook.com/Steelscape
facebook.com/GetToMars
HNB

Post by HNB »

I think that is the stock one.
Mattsican

Post by Mattsican »

In his pictures with the tort guard on it doesn't have the slide switch slots and it's in HH config.
facebook.com/Steelscape
facebook.com/GetToMars
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

Mattsican wrote:In his pictures with the tort guard on it doesn't have the slide switch slots and it's in HH config.
The tort pg on my black Mustang was an inexpensive S/S Pickguard that didn't have switch cutouts. I modified it to be HH. I can't remember if it was Amazon or EBay where I got it. Haven't seen another one like it since.
Mattsican

Post by Mattsican »

It'd be nice if we could get someone to make and sell a few of these *cough cough* hah.... i got a buddy thats good (safe) with power tools. He helped me drill thru a cooterfinger duo body to make it a string thru. I might see if i order the material if he can duplicate the standard white guard.
facebook.com/Steelscape
facebook.com/GetToMars
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

PV-1955 wrote:
Mattsican wrote:In his pictures with the tort guard on it doesn't have the slide switch slots and it's in HH config.
The tort pg on my black Mustang was an inexpensive S/S Pickguard that didn't have switch cutouts. I modified it to be HH. I can't remember if it was Amazon or EBay where I got it. Haven't seen another one like it since.

the legend of this black mustang grows!!!

seriously. its nicer looking than any of the current duosonics and mustangs from mexico
dots wrote:incesticide
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

robroe wrote:
PV-1955 wrote:

the legend of this black mustang grows!!!

seriously. its nicer looking than any of the current duosonics and mustangs from mexico

Thanks. I really appreciate that. I'm getting close to wrapping up my blue Bullet Mustang. Looking forward to hearing these guitars with a set of single coils.
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

Here’s the Bronze pickguard in natural light. In indoor lighting the Bronze looks quite a bit more Gold than what it looks like here but I can’t say I don’t like it (but it’s amazing how different it looks depending upon the light). I’m leaning towards the blue pickguard but it could easily come down to a coin toss.

NickS

Post by NickS »

Love the blue, actually.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I'd have the blue with white covers and switches.
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

I'd go mint green if i were you. :)
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Blue looks fantastic. Ideally with black bits.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Save the diarrhea pearl one and make a toilet seat 'stang.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

Decided to sell this guitar to my buddy - sadly, I dont care for the fretboard radius.
Could I put a different mustang neck on this guitar? If so does anyone know which ones will and won't work?