Ryan Jarman Guitar Mods

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

SAVEStheDAY

Ryan Jarman Guitar Mods

Post by SAVEStheDAY »

I finally modded mine. I swapped the humbucker with an Invader and matched the single coil cover as close as I could. Great guitar.

Grant

Post by Grant »

i fucking love it and i fucking love you
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Haha, noice direction.

Yeah after a few months of playing and recording, the bridge humbucky is the only component on mine I'm really not liking (it's just bleh, not much this or that) and will switch out when I have the time to work on things. It otherwise plays effortlessly, has crazy sustain for a shortscale, and stays very much in tune.
SAVEStheDAY

Post by SAVEStheDAY »

The stock humbucker is really the only weak link I've found. The work under the hood was up to par with most of the proper Fenders I have as well. I love this crazy guitar.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

That is a really super cool looking guitar. Enjoy seeing it every time. Glad that you are happy with it.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

Not sure I like the blue, but good idea on switching out the pups. Still don't like mine too much, and it just sits in a case at the minute.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

ultratwin wrote:the bridge humbucky is the only component on mine I'm really not liking (it's just bleh, not much this or that)
It really is a Jag-Stang knockoff in that case...
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

And in the spirit of doing away with the aforementioned poopy humbucker, I finally had Jarmie dropped off at Pops Semoon's place with sparkly bridge-position TV-Jones Magnatron, old 5-way Varitone pot for more-than-a-coupletoanz, and a sheet of GFS tort and white 3-ply to round out Patty Labelle's New-Attitude, so to speak.

The kill-switch route being much too shallow and off to the side, he had to do some body work to fit the massive pot, but fortunately was able to dig deep without going through. Will have a black chicken-head instead of temporary Fender cream amp knob shown below, and we'll see what that white guard looks like later on...upon close comparison the original guard is definitely parchment, and something tells me a '64 Strat neck pickup under black rawbroes would be work nicely w/tort guard and stuff. Lastly, output jack wiring had already failed and solder joints apparently needed work, so I reckon I'll need to tip the gent a good bit more than what he requested.

Set to pick it up in a few days.

SAVEStheDAY

Post by SAVEStheDAY »

I'm digging it, especially the tort!
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit.

andi if you ever get bored of this thing im #1 on the list ok ?
dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

these dudes just released a new video yesterday.

this guitar sounds pretty good. swirllllly

[youtube][/youtube]
dots wrote:incesticide
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Noice. Ne'er been a big The Cribs fan, but the tunes work and thumbs up for getting all the energy expressed without over excessive dubbing...cool crunchies+ modulation.

The man at work this past Saturday afternoon. A proper old-world tinkerer who deserves more than the extra tips and coffee I can leave with each request, and after 15 years of handling my noisemakers he's been the best in the city and more than kind. He had to route the Jarman body a good bit to fit the varitone in a place that looked its part, and by Jove it's where it needs to be.

Yaro is cool with it so far; taking it to work on the morrow to especially see how the 5-way varitone sounds when gain is on tap. I really like out-of-phase bridge tones and the kill-switch seemed all too much meh (I don't play live like I used to), so that old 5-way purchased from a long-gone gramps on the TDPRI over a decade ago has found its home.

Color contrast and comparison between teh pinkz. As shown, the original Jarman pickguard is very much a parchment piece, and the "alternate" white GFS guard got taped to the window outside our SW facing veranda for a year's worth of exposure and bile-anticipating yellowing. At $25/cut, Mr. Lee did a flawless job on a 1:1 trace with the original that hugs the TV Jones Magnatron perfectly, though the needed sponge boost to get it sufficiently close to the strings required an in-stock black screw for the time being. Me good.

ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

And Raub...

Will have you first on the list if the deed must be eventually done. I'm convinced that the new Duo Sonic HS models simply do not have all anything in place close to what this thing can already do (fecal humbucker toanz notwithstanding), and Fender really needs to be petitioned to at least have the Jag trem +Mustang circuit in place on a regular production model at the least (the TOM w/proper radius is a great addition as well), methinks. Simply too much fun in this thing.
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

I did an parchment.

Had whitey taped to our south-facing window for 5 months and it actually yellowed up quite nicely, and does look a good bit better to my eyes than the GFS "smeared poop" tort guard. Magnatron is proving to be a fantastic humbucker with loads of sparkle and dynamics, and the 5-way varitone + out-of-phase bee buzzing makes it so much fun to mess about with. With great sustain and wobble action to boot, I've never enjoyed a shortscale this much before.

Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

That looks looooovely. About 4 times nicer now.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Agreed.

Nice to see a Toronado GT in the background of the original posters pic as well.
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Aye, back to normal and pieces are in place :)