Settup Floyd rose

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

iCEByTes

Settup Floyd rose

Post by iCEByTes »

In Italy
http://www.guitarmigi.it/completo/compl ... _rose.aspx

in portuguese brasilian
http://forum.cifraclub.terra.com.br/forum/3/87896/

in inglish
http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm

its about 30mins , witch process include

1. Reset all fine tuning screws located on the bridge to a middle position.
2. Remove the sixth string from your guitar. To do this, loosen the 'string-lock screw' located at the back side of your bridge using an allen key. The string-lock screws are the screws that run parallel to the body of your guitar.
3. After several counter-clockwise turns, the string should pop free from the bridge.
4. Using an allen key, loosen the 'nut clamping block' (the part of the guitar where the neck meets the headstock) that covers the sixth and fifth string.
5. Once the nut clamping block is loosened, you should be able to extract the string from the guitar.
6. Now, take your replacement string, and using wire cutters, clip off the ball at the bottom end of the string.
7. Put the freshly clipped end of the string into the saddle of the bridge. Examine the other strings to see where exactly the new string should go.
8. Push the string down into the saddle as far as possible. You may have to further loosen the string-lock screw.
9. Using your allen key, gently but firmly tighten the string-lock screw to hold the string in place (be careful not to over-tighten!) Be sure the string stays secure in the saddle while doing this.
10. Feed the string under the loosened nut clamping bolt, and under the 'string retainer' (the bar on the headstock that runs parallel to the nut).
11. Feed the string through the tuning peg, leaving some slack in the string. The string should wrap several times around the peg.
12. Bring the guitar into approximate tune. Cut away excess string.
13. Repeat the above steps for each of the remaining five strings. You may need to repeatedly re-tune the guitar.
14. When all six strings have been changed, tune the guitar as precisely as possible, then tighten the nut clamping bolts. If tuning changes, re-tune using the fine tuning screws.

Tips:

1. Getting the guitar in tune can be a problem initially. Be patient, and keep re-tuning the guitar.
Last edited by iCEByTes on Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Precise dwarf bravery
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

I'm telling you, man, Floyd Rose trems aren't worth it.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

theshadowofseattle wrote:I'm telling you, man, Floyd Rose trems aren't worth it.
like i talked on other topic

floyd system are unique , like mustang system is unique too , bronco , jagar , strat

have lots systems and i want try all :) , played floyd few days ago and i loved
Precise dwarf bravery
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Goddamn that's way too fucking complicated!
luke

Post by luke »

That's not a setup tip, that's how to change the strings. I had to figure that out first time I restrung my guitar. It sucks that my first ever guitar had a Floydy, and my first set of new strings had ball ends. Took me a while to figure out they needed cutting off and locked in, but I got it after a while. When it says "you may need to retune several times" it's not kidding. It ages to get the bridge balanced in the middle with perfect tune. Definitely more trouble than it's worth.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Floyd Roses need to be melted down and reformed into hammer heads to then smash the guitars they were fitted to into small woodchips. Those woodchips can then be used as some kind of garden feature, bordering a lawn, for example.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Damn! I thought those were setup steps... That's just for changing strings?!?!?!? No way in hell will I ever buy a guitar with a floyd rose!
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Yeah, floyd roses are a big pain in the ass, but once you spend the time (and alot of it) setting it up, it will stay in tune forever but the strings are flat by then.
Justin
NSFW

Post by Justin »

ekwatts wrote:Floyd Roses need to be melted down and reformed into hammer heads to then smash the guitars they were fitted to into small woodchips. Those woodchips can then be used as some kind of garden feature, bordering a lawn, for example.
hahaha
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

i set up a kids ibanez about 2 days ago, and it had a floyed rose on it, took me about an hour to do the intonation and put new strings on it, i had the kid watch watch me and i tried to explain everything to him the best i could but he was like 12 or 13 tops.
i told him over and over again that are crappy systems. and then right when i get it all done and over with he tells me.
i don;t ever use the tremolo anyway.
i was like. ok thats cool. jon can check you out. it will 7 for the strings and 45.00 for the set up.
normally it would have been about 15 or so but that last comment threw me off.
peace
BYOB Kenobi

Post by BYOB Kenobi »

robert(original) wrote:i set up a kids ibanez about 2 days ago, and it had a floyed rose on it, took me about an hour to do the intonation and put new strings on it, i had the kid watch watch me and i tried to explain everything to him the best i could but he was like 12 or 13 tops.
i told him over and over again that are crappy systems. and then right when i get it all done and over with he tells me.
i don;t ever use the tremolo anyway.
i was like. ok thats cool. jon can check you out. it will 7 for the strings and 45.00 for the set up.
normally it would have been about 15 or so but that last comment threw me off.
peace
so you charged a 12/13 year old $52 for a change of strings and a set up? shit man, floyd roses suck ass
R.A.M.O.N.E.S
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

Malik wrote:That's not a setup tip, that's how to change the strings. I had to figure that out first time I restrung my guitar. It sucks that my first ever guitar had a Floydy, and my first set of new strings had ball ends. Took me a while to figure out they needed cutting off and locked in, but I got it after a while. When it says "you may need to retune several times" it's not kidding. It ages to get the bridge balanced in the middle with perfect tune. Definitely more trouble than it's worth.

wrong , its setup too :)
floyd rose change strings need setup all guitar :)
its about 20/30mins
need change strings , setup bridge , setup octave , check coil plate , stable the tremolo , after it need re-check all and do fine tunning

ekwatts wrote:Floyd Roses need to be melted down and reformed into hammer heads to then smash the guitars they were fitted to into small woodchips. Those woodchips can then be used as some kind of garden feature, bordering a lawn, for example.
hey troll

how person play better than me dont know differences in system bridge and is a full ignorant and dont know setup simple floyd ?

floyd can be cool

if dont like tremolos thats not my problemn enjoy ur hartail
Precise dwarf bravery
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

iCEByTes wrote:
Malik wrote:That's not a setup tip, that's how to change the strings. I had to figure that out first time I restrung my guitar. It sucks that my first ever guitar had a Floydy, and my first set of new strings had ball ends. Took me a while to figure out they needed cutting off and locked in, but I got it after a while. When it says "you may need to retune several times" it's not kidding. It ages to get the bridge balanced in the middle with perfect tune. Definitely more trouble than it's worth.

its about 20/30mins
need change strings , setup bridge , setup octave , check coil plate , stable the tremolo , after it need re-check all and do fine tunning
That's why it's the worst design ever! That's way too much fucking work to change the damn strings!
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

anyone that can honestly change a floyed, set it up and change the strings/ intoneation and what not in 30 mins please show me how cuz it took me an hour.
and your godamn right i charged him that much he started talking about the music he was into and downing my music. i wanted to say.
hey lil man, metallica sucks and teh kurtz no matter how retarded you think he is can still write a better tune than james hetfield. Notice i said still write a better tune.
but instead i charged him out the ass.
BYOB Kenobi

Post by BYOB Kenobi »

robert(original) wrote:and your godamn right i charged him that much he started talking about the music he was into and downing my music. i wanted to say.
hey lil man, metallica sucks and teh kurtz no matter how retarded you think he is can still write a better tune than james hetfield. Notice i said still write a better tune.
but instead i charged him out the ass.
Being abit of a metallica fan, i will keep quiet...for now :evil:
R.A.M.O.N.E.S
luke

Post by luke »

For God's sake Icey, shut up. On this occasion, I do fucking have the knowledge. Now, I understand this isn't a subject like studying exotic woods, you may not believe the fact I have the knowledge here, so I will post proof:

I know setup tips when I hear them. That guy forget to mention adjusting the bridge height, the angle of the strings or the intonation, he just said how you can take out the strings and put new ones in. That's a simple enough procedure. I can get it down to 10 minutes now, but I have a few techniques (such as overtightening the strings before I try tuning, and then putting a block under the bridge to keep it floating at the right angle while I tune.

And after all of that, it's a poor bridge. The slightest touch of the tremolo gives this awful bendy sound, and if you press down hard, the strings go too loose to vibrate. It's only good for noise in my opinion, and probably metal.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Great fun to wank about on, but a real shitbag to deal with in a practical situation.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
luke

Post by luke »

Doog wrote:Great fun to wank about on, but a real shitbag to deal with in a practical situation.
For real. When I can find a lead I'll make a demo of the usefulness of using a Floyd Rose. You can't even rest your hand on the bridge because you'll bend up a few tones.
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

need check all after change strings
when you change floyd rose strings need change string per string , if you remove all gonna do gigantic mess hahahahaha

its cool and funny process
also what floyd rose are you using ??? Gotoh , Schaller , Original , Ibanez ?
And after all of that, it's a poor bridge. The slightest touch of the tremolo gives this awful bendy sound, and if you press down hard, the strings go too loose to vibrate. It's only good for noise in my opinion, and probably metal.
poor versions are generical clones , i say check an Ibanez Edge pro :) its at Somme prestiges , Jem , JS .... :) its an amazing terrific floyd rose , can see steve vai squeeze guitar using floyd rose , make guitar fly using floyd rose and she stays in tune

little secret is an Tremmsetter thing :) , its help makes aways in tune

you guys talk about floyd rose but dont rembember Mustang bridge is about 27 mins to setup , change strings is simple about 4 mins and done

Billy3000 its different bridge

like i talked , mustang are cool after you learn settup it , 2 years searching how make she stay in tune none of you guys showed me solution , only mad-mike , and worked , now i figure how much i am asswhole talking about mustang bridge

Stratobridge i like unique thing i dont like them its need 20 in 20 days add oil+graphite on saddles or have risk lose string when you abuse them

V-100 wilkson is amazing enchanced Strato bridge , very simple and very very trustrable

jaguar i never used , duo jaguar is 8.000/9.000 brasilian bucks , no thanks

and now i want have Floyd into my colection , Gotoh GE-1996T the 3 best floyd system existent , first is for me Ibanez Edge Pro , seccound Schaller
but ... ibanez dont found and shaller floyd is a money killer so i stick gotoh
original floyd are cool and trustable too

in geral floyd rose are cool , but its nice have non floyd rose guitars too
isint an 100% trustable system thats all know

and thats why i doing an floyd guitar only now :) coz i got 2 backups guitar's
Precise dwarf bravery
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

iCEByTes wrote:

its about 20/30mins

hey troll

how person play better than me dont know differences in system bridge and is a full ignorant and dont know setup simple floyd ?

floyd can be cool

if dont like tremolos thats not my problemn enjoy ur hartail
I have a guitar with a Floyd Rose, as a matter of fact, and that's how I know how awful they are. I have kept it well intonated and set up ever since I got it, but I still don't like the trem system. I can still play better than you and I learnt how to set up a Floyd Rose before you learnt to play guitar.

But of course, any attempt to better inform your opinion is simply met with your usual accusations of ignorance and inferiority.

To test how much you know about bridges and trem systems, have a go at identifying and explaining how the trem on my Burns Batwing functions.

Brandon W wrote:you elites.