NGD #2 Fender Mustang 65 RI

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

VerdantGreen

NGD #2 Fender Mustang 65 RI

Post by VerdantGreen »

SO I actually had ordered this guitar before I bought the Jag-Stang. The Jag-Stang appeared a day later at such a good price I had to get it but this was the original guitar I was going to buy.

The neck is not as thick as I thought it would be after reading people's comparisons of the 65 Mustang. It's a very comfortable guitar! So happy to have this and the Jag-Stang I don't think I will be buying any guitars for a long time!

The neck on my super-sonic is much thicker and less comfortable for reference!

Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Well done.

Another great neck and a cool guitar.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

You've done well. Good man.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Give us your thoughts of the J-S vs. the 65 Mustang? Which neck do you prefer? How are you getting along with each sound-wise?
VerdantGreen

Post by VerdantGreen »

singlepup wrote:Give us your thoughts of the J-S vs. the 65 Mustang? Which neck do you prefer? How are you getting along with each sound-wise?
I have been playing the Mustang mostly at the moment. I haven't played the J-S too much yet since I've only had these for a few days. I will play the J-S tonight and compare a bit!

I have an average amp (Fender Champion) that probably doesn't help me get the most out of these guitars so far but I will have to bring them to my buddy who has the twin reverb and play on that a bit next week.

I will post a review when I have had some more time with these :)
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Great guitar! Yeah, I never got the people who called the '65 neck thick. It might be microscopically thicker than a '69 neck, but it's not thick, I'd call it medium thin. I felt like my Kurt Cobain neck was starting to be in that medium range, whereas the Jaguar HH Special actually had a thickish neck (but I'd call it medium-thick, not baseball). Compared to those, the '65 was plenty thin.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
VerdantGreen

Post by VerdantGreen »

honeyiscool wrote:Great guitar! Yeah, I never got the people who called the '65 neck thick. It might be microscopically thicker than a '69 neck, but it's not thick, I'd call it medium thin. I felt like my Kurt Cobain neck was starting to be in that medium range, whereas the Jaguar HH Special actually had a thickish neck (but I'd call it medium-thick, not baseball). Compared to those, the '65 was plenty thin.
Yeah the internet acts like Fender Mustang RI necks are huge but this neck is damn near one of the most comfortable I have ever played. My Super-Sonic feels like a baseball bat compared to this and they both have 10s on them.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

THE WHOLE COLOR PALLET OF THAT PHOTO....THE FUCKING WALL, THE CARPET...THE FUCKING SUPERSONIC......THE POP OF DAPHNE COLOR.

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT
dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

BROE WHERE YOU LIVE IN OHIO? ILL BE IN CLEVELAND TO SEE the anniversary ON WEDNESDAY NIGHT

VIDEO FOOTAGE OF SHORTSCALE MEET UP IN TEH FUCKING DESERT.
[youtube][/youtube]
dots wrote:incesticide
VerdantGreen

Post by VerdantGreen »

robroe wrote:BROE WHERE YOU LIVE IN OHIO? ILL BE IN CLEVELAND TO SEE the anniversary ON WEDNESDAY NIGHT

VIDEO FOOTAGE OF SHORTSCALE MEET UP IN TEH FUCKING DESERT.
[youtube][/youtube]
Who the hell is the Anniversary? lol
VerdantGreen

Post by VerdantGreen »

singlepup wrote:Give us your thoughts of the J-S vs. the 65 Mustang? Which neck do you prefer? How are you getting along with each sound-wise?
Still haven't played the J-S as much (I think I am afraid to damage it or something haha). But my impressions of both guitars so far:

1. The neck PUP on the J-S is AWESOME, I feel like it definitely has a jangle sound to it that could be comparable to a jaguar. The humbucker definitely isn't insane but I don't think its that bad either. When clean I think it sounds pretty nice. I am not that well versed with high quality humbuckers though as I rarely pick up and play gibsons in stores.

2. The neck pup in the Mustang sounds super awesome with fuzz. I have a Death by Audio fuzz war pedal and when cranked with the neck pup on the mustang it sounds extremely stoner-doom metal ish which is awesome for me. The bridge definitely works better for most other stuff though.

Neck wise it's pretty close, the Jag Stang probably gets the nod for comfort but the Mustang is pretty great as well!

Overall I think the J-S sounds a lot different than the mustang. It definitely has it's own sound.
marco.desan

Post by marco.desan »

Very cool pair.
I would love to get a Supersonic but here in Italy prices are kind of crazy...