Pentatonics For Guitar

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

Gabriel

Pentatonics For Guitar

Post by Gabriel »

I'm in the process of writing an ebook. Basically I'm covering the topic of the pentatonic scale, viewing it from it's theoretical origin, discussing how we can generate it. Different ways of playing it on the guitar and finally different ways of applying it to give interesting harmonic functions.

I just finished writing lesson 1. The plan is to film an accompanying video series that will go alongside the ebook, covering some areas (such as technique and exercises) in more detail.

Anyway I'm uploading lesson 1 for free, just to gauge people's response.

Let me know what you guys think!

Pentatonics For Guitar Lesson One
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

NOT GOT TIME NOW BUT WILL WATCH THREAD WITH INTEREST AND HOLLER BACK SOON x
NickS

Post by NickS »

Do you want me to tell you about punctuation and apostrophes?
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Any proof reading is appreciated!
NickS

Post by NickS »

A search shows 6 instances of "it's". The incorrect ones are the first and third where "its" is a possessive pronoun - no apostrophe required. The rest are contractions of "it is" so the apostrophe is right.

Your third sentence is basically two sentences separated by a comma. Either make that a semicolon or turn it into a full stop and start again with a capital letter.

"principal" (main) should be "principle" (basis)

You might want to mention that there are other common 12-note minor scales - melodic and harmonic - but you only need the natural minor to construct the pentatonic minor.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Oops, I should probably give it a proof read before I release this properly. My A level english teacher would be furious at me haha!

The plan is to make sure I complete everything first and then release the package properly.

I'm going to cover the other harmonic systems in one of the later lessons, the plan is for each lesson to be slightly more advanced, with the final lessons dealing with jazz harmony and superimposing pentatonic structures.

Until then though I'm trying to treat the first couple of lessons as a basic introduction to music theory and the different pentatonic shapes.