Summer Namm Duo Sonic

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

singlepup wrote:
StevePirates wrote:24 inch maple fretboard. Done. Sold. I'll take two.
You should check the Guitar Fetish website. Earlier this week I saw a 24" maple fretboard for $15. You don't have to buy them from Fender.
I have the carpentry skills of a termite and the mechanical skills of rust.

It's frankly a miracle that I can tune my own guitar. I've looked at GF and Warmoth stuff for the past few decades, and am just profoundly hesitant to pull the trigger. I bought a cheap Squier once to take apart to teach myself how to do this stuff...... Anyone want to buy a pile of Squier bits?
Hell is other people.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Oh I am the same way, but I'm sure you could swap a neck if you just wanted a 24" maple fretboard. If you can tune a guitar, you can swap a neck.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

the great thing about learning how to work on guitars is you cant fuck it up.

the worst thing that can happen to you is it won't make sounds.

its not like a house and you are wiring some shit up and can get zapped or anything.

if you can build a lego set you can wire up a guitar. ive built lego sets that are 1000x harder actually.
dots wrote:incesticide
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

Any idea when these will hit the market? That green one is calling me..
JustLo

Post by JustLo »

Cymbaline wrote:Any idea when these will hit the market? That green one is calling me..
October
VerdantGreen

Post by VerdantGreen »

Wow these look great, I really want to know more about the pups and the neck thickness though. Then I will start to get more excited!
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Andertons have these up in their website now. £451 for the Duo-Sonics, £565 for the Mustangs and £680 for the Mustang basses.

LANK
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Wow, they've been out for a while on Thomann, but nowhere near that cheap. Must be because of the Nigel May pound.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

honeyiscool wrote:Image

This is hot, you guys.
Great front, weak ass back. "Satin" (if any) finish on the neck. BLARF.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
dinomike77

These are *so* close for me...

Post by dinomike77 »

I'd really like a single-coil option with rosewood board on the DSII("Mustang") and better color options. My brother would die for one in Sonic Blue. Also, not using a Toronado or Vista MM bridge is just fail. I do like the absence of a body contour, which is one of the things that I wish my CV Duo didn't have. Anyway, too much fiddling with these things to get what I want, may as well be happy with what I have.

http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtop ... highlight=
jamba72

Post by jamba72 »

niiiiiiiice DS ..
but the stock bridge.....mehhhh

I had the stock one on my DS copy, but replaced itwith this one

BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

They're up on Fender's website now.

Also some videos:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Mad-Mike

Post by Mad-Mike »

BearBoy wrote:They're up on Fender's website now.

Also some videos:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
I don't understand how the Duo-Sonic is an "Offset" - the whole reason they are called Offset is because one skinny section of the "waist" is lower on the body than the other (usually the treble side being closer to the neck and bass side closer to the "butt"). If it were using the Mustang/Duo-II/Master II/III/Bronco body, I'd understand.
It's Me
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Well, that depends on your definition of offset, the strat could be offset too. You could just look at the cutaways. But there is an angle at the waist too, just not as large.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Snap, I can't wait to check these out in person.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Just saw these. I'm sure GC will have them soon, so maybe I'll swing by and check them out. But so far, I'm not impressed, and I don't think many others will be either, not for the price...it's been said already, they'll not sell well and be blown out in a couple years. The only one I really like is the silver one with P90s, and the hardtail Strat bridge kind of kills it for me. Plus, the necks appear similar to the old Blacktop series, a kind of gross satin finish with some material that doesn't tint the maple, do not want. Same with that bleach white maple. I am curious about the "updated neck profile", though.
Rox

Post by Rox »

I dig the Mustang with the p90s over the Duo. Just wish on the Mustang there was a traditional 3 way switch like a normal Mustang . I remember playing the Modern player Mustang with the p90s and really liking the tone of the neck pickup out of phase.
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

Can anybody tell me what is the proper kluson-style tuners to replace the wrap-around tuners on the new DuoSonic? I want string down the hole of the peg, not wrap-around the peg. I wanna get one of these and replace the tuners
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

Cymbaline wrote:Can anybody tell me what is the proper kluson-style tuners to replace the wrap-around tuners on the new DuoSonic? I want string down the hole of the peg, not wrap-around the peg. I wanna get one of these and replace the tuners

You want the Klusons with the "Safety Posts".
Here's what I have used for both Mustangs and Duo-Sonics - SD9105MNP. It is the Single Line version.
You should also be able to use the SD9105MNP-DR (Double Line version).
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Finally played the Duo-Sonic models, and indeed, do not want, because of the neck. That "updated neck profile" is too chunky for a shortscale, and the satin finish on the back is gross :( The tint is fine however. And the surf green finish is really pretty (though not at all surf green). I'd get one and put a more traditional neck on it.