Kay Bass - am I making a bad decision?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Kay Bass - am I making a bad decision?

Post by Freddy V-C »

Since I've started playing bass more often (playing full-time in Super Luxury and alternating between guitar and bass in Beige Palace) I figured it might finally be time to buy a new bass. I got my first bass for my 11th birthday (in 2004, fact fans) and it's all I've played since then. It's a Tanglewood Rebel 4k and to be honest it's a bit fucked. It doesn't help that it's extremely ugly.

I'd been strongly considering a Squier Mustang for a while, but now my mate Alex from Ghold is selling a bunch of his gear, including this rather intriguing Kay bass...

I spent half an hour with it with an obnoxiously loud amp and two Harmonic Percolators this evening, and I had a lot of fun. Everything immediately feels a lot better than my Tanglewood and it's very comfortable and light. It also has that kind of Gibson Grabber/Ripper vibe which I'm always a big fan of. A couple of the pots are a bit crackly but that's an easy fix (not that I'd do that myself because I am idiot).

He's asking for £200 including a very heavy duty hardcase (one of the latches is a bit knackered but again, not a massive deal). He bought it with the case for £250 this time last year. As far as I know the ~good~ Matsumoko guitars are pretty sought after? And this seems like a good one.

The frets look kind of crusty but they feel fine and seem to work fine. I've never bought such an OLD-ASS GUITAR before, so I'm not sure if this is a problem or if this is just what OLD-ASS FRETS look like. What do we reckon?

Anyway, yeah. Point is, does this seem like a decent bass to you guys? Is £200 a fair price? Should I make a lower offer? Or just not bother at all?

ALSO: I totally rotated all these photos before uploading them but that hasn't worked so sorryyyy...
Addam

Post by Addam »

Is there much wear in the frets and is there enough meat on the frets to level and dress if there is wear?
Does the truss rod work properly?
Is the neck twisted?

Other than that, if your happy with the way is feels and sounds just give it a good clean, oil the fretboard and rock out.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

£200 seems a fair price for a well made bass that you like. It's probably about par for a matsumoku instrument. Maybe a little high. Certainly not a bargain (other than the fact that it is probably nicer than anything else you'll buy for £200).
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

400% too high. Sorry old son.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I had a feeling £200 might be a bit much. To be fair the case alone is probably worth at least £30.

He's off on tour again for 3 months tomorrow so I've said I'll let him know by tomorrow afternoon...
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Suspect it was made by Cort in Korea, though. If that matters.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/k ... -423357683
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I'm not massively fussed about country of origin as long as it plays nicely. I do feel like I'm making a bit of a rushed decision though. He's got another guy interested so perhaps I should just bow out...

Gonna sleep on it I think.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Get a Harley Benton JB-75 less than £100 and all the bass a guitarist will ever need
XY
George

Post by George »

looks shite for the money. £130 more and you could get the new jarman squier bass NEW
NickD

Post by NickD »

benecol wrote:400% too high. Sorry old son.
It's worth more than £50!

But yes, a little overpriced. Clean, with the case and a set of strings - because that set will be fucked if the frets are that dirty, I'd reckon on it being worth £120-130. As it is, maybe £100. Your friend overpaid I'm afraid. Shame, it looks like a fun bass for what its worth.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

NickD wrote:It's worth more than £50!
Seen nicer/rarer Kays go for less these last few years...
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

If that was in the US I'd expect to pay about $175 USD, no more than $250.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I decided against it. I couldn't see myself paying more than £150 for it at the absolute most, but I didn't want to lowball my mate. If he hasn't sold it in a few months I might offer him less.