New replacement tuners for '66 Mustang neck?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

beautyfish

New replacement tuners for '66 Mustang neck?

Post by beautyfish »

All -

Just got a '66 Mustang project neck (no decal, needs a fret job or refret, no nut or tuners and a slight back bow that I'll be repairing), and I'm trying to locate some tuners that will fit the tuner holes and screw hole pattern of the original "F" tuners. I don't want to spend $100 for vintage tuners if I can find something for $40. This is going to go with a Jag body, so Mustang "vintage correct" tuners aren't necessary. Will the Schaller "F" tuners or something else work on this neck without hole plugging, redrilling, or ferrule adapters?

Thanks!!
MattK

Post by MattK »

You need the original F tuners which have no "shoulder" around the shaft. F tuners made by Schaller have a sleeve around the shaft coming out of the gear housing which isn't on the original Fender-made ones. So for a '66 you need either original Fender ones or you will have to drill the back of the tuner holes to allow for the sleeve.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Would these fit or do they have the same problem as the Schaller tuners?

http://www.fender.com/parts/tuning-mach ... 22100.html
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
beautyfish

Post by beautyfish »

MatthewK wrote:You need the original F tuners which have no "shoulder" around the shaft. F tuners made by Schaller have a sleeve around the shaft coming out of the gear housing which isn't on the original Fender-made ones. So for a '66 you need either original Fender ones or you will have to drill the back of the tuner holes to allow for the sleeve.
So, what do you think is the best alternative: buying the Schallers and drilling the shaft holes, or buying something else and drilling new screw holes? There must be some other "non-F type," white button tuners that will go right into that shaft hole but would require new screw holes. Any recommendation for that alternative?

Thanks for the advice!!
Addam

Post by Addam »

jcyphe wrote:Would these fit or do they have the same problem as the Schaller tuners?

http://www.fender.com/parts/tuning-mach ... 22100.html
From my experience, while you could counter bore the back of the headstock and use the original-to-the-neck ferrules rather than drilling right through to 10mm and using the conversion ferrules that are included with the tuners. The spacing is wider than vintage F tuners. Well it is with the neck I have which was from a late '70s Musicmaster.
Doug

Post by Doug »

beautyfish wrote:
MatthewK wrote:You need the original F tuners which have no "shoulder" around the shaft. F tuners made by Schaller have a sleeve around the shaft coming out of the gear housing which isn't on the original Fender-made ones. So for a '66 you need either original Fender ones or you will have to drill the back of the tuner holes to allow for the sleeve.
So, what do you think is the best alternative: buying the Schallers and drilling the shaft holes, or buying something else and drilling new screw holes? There must be some other "non-F type," white button tuners that will go right into that shaft hole but would require new screw holes. Any recommendation for that alternative?

Thanks for the advice!!
Why not contact some of the vintage guitar experts and ask thier advice? Not that your doing a vintage preservation, but they'll be able to advise you on what tuners meet your need. Just give 'em a call and they'll be helpful. Gruhn's in Nashville, or Jim Singleton at York Guitars in York, Pa. are two who've been friendly & helpful to me.
Doug
MattK

Post by MattK »

I'm pretty sure those ones from Fender have the shoulder - hence the name "70s style".
The ones you need are like this:
The 70s style ones are like this, note the sleeve around the base, which needs a wider hole, but drilled only half way into the headstock:
I bought an old vintage set for my 66 neck, I don't think anyone makes replacements. I wouldn't recommend trying to widen the back of the tuner holes unless you have professional skills. If you think about it, the price difference between a reissue set and a reasonably priced used set isn't worth the headache of trying to drill, and devaluing or possibly ruining your vintage neck.